Bills Show Interest In Whitehurst, Tomlinson?

—Pencil in the Bills as a potential landing spot for recently released Chargers RB LaDainian Tomlinson if the team decides to trade Marshawn Lynch. Former San Diego assistant GM Buddy Nix is very familiar with Tomlinson's skills and could view him as the perfect complement to Fred Jackson. Tomlinson rushed for just 730 yards last season but he's the NFL's No. 8 all-time rusher and at age 30 would welcome a backup role that would require less wear on his body. The Bills are believed to also be targeting a running back in the draft on Day 2, perhaps Stanford's Toby Gerhart.

—Speaking of San Diego, the Bills are believed to be researching backup quarterback Charlie Whitehurst as a potential restricted free-agent signing (four-year player under no-cap rule). Whitehurst, who played at Clemson, was a third-round pick in 2006 and has been grooming for an opportunity to start, something that won't materialize in San Diego with Phillip Rivers entrenched. It's believed Whitehurst will be tendered at $1.176 million or 110 percent of his 2009 paragraph five salary, giving San Diego right of first refusal and a third-round pick if he signs elsewhere.

USA Today

—Pencil in the Bills as a potential landing spot for recently released Chargers RB LaDainian Tomlinson if the team decides to trade Marshawn Lynch. Former San Diego assistant GM Buddy Nix is very familiar with Tomlinson's skills and could view him as the perfect complement to Fred Jackson. Tomlinson rushed for just 730 yards last season but he's the NFL's No. 8 all-time rusher and at age 30 would welcome a backup role that would require less wear on his body. The Bills are believed to also be targeting a running back in the draft on Day 2, perhaps Stanford's Toby Gerhart.

—Speaking of San Diego, the Bills are believed to be researching backup quarterback Charlie Whitehurst as a potential restricted free-agent signing (four-year player under no-cap rule). Whitehurst, who played at Clemson, was a third-round pick in 2006 and has been grooming for an opportunity to start, something that won't materialize in San Diego with Phillip Rivers entrenched. It's believed Whitehurst will be tendered at $1.176 million or 110 percent of his 2009 paragraph five salary, giving San Diego right of first refusal and a third-round pick if he signs elsewhere.

USA Today

Buddy should know whitehurst well. If he likes him a third round pick isn't a high price for a future starting qb

Please....you think he would be our future franchise QB? Who the hell is this guy?

More or less he was Jevon Snead when he came out. Everything you want from a QB on paper, but jsut was never any good. As for Tomlinson, he has stated his only goal now is to win a championship. Im sure we are high on his list. :devil:

The ONLY thing Whitehurst has to show for his 4-year NFL career is 2 carries for 13 yards and a TD. That's it! The Chargers can keep him until they drop the price to a 5th rounder.

Or a 6th, if the asking price came down he would seem like an alright option to come in and compete to start this year. Definately wouldn't part with a 3rd though. Perhaps they trade Lynch to SD for Whitehurst and a low round pick?

USA Today

I just wonder how much LT would want to go from Sunny California weather to Buffalo's?? How well he would perform in this climate also?? Where did u hear that the Bill's are targeting a RB in the draft? We have so many holes to fill that are

a much higher priority than RB that it is very hard to lend credence to such a proposterous idea!

Charlie Whitewho?? Just what we need another 3rd round QB with less experience and success than Trent Edwards!! Wouldn't the Bills have to beat S.D.'s highest offer as they have the right to match highest offer? Nothing like getting into a bidding war for someone that has very little if any NFL experience!

I think the USA Today article above was well written, but I don't see any of it happening, and I am not sure that it would be in the Bill's best interest for any of it to happen as well!!

Looks like more speculation. Considering that the Bills are exploring lots of options at every position, I don't see why bringing in a QB that might have some promise is a bad deal, depending on what they would have to give up to bring him in.

As far as LT and Sproles......the Chargers now have an empty backfield. I think that says a lot about both RB's. Nothing against either one of them, but LT is not an every down back anymore and Sproles never was. So if the Bills bring either one of them in it will be after Lynch is traded (big "if").

yeah, i honestly dont care either way about whitehurst, but i do know that edwards/fitz arent the answer. id rather go into a season with Brohm, Whitehurst, and a rookie we drafted in the third round or later instead of what we have. i suppose the most realistic thing that would make me happy is:

1. Brohm

2. Fitzpatrick

3. Whitehurst

let them battle it out and see who between brohm and whitehurst can win the starting job. i dont even look at fitzpatrick as anything more than a stopper. if both guys show they cant compete, i throw in fitz, cut both other qbs at the end of the season and hope to draft mallett in 11.

USA Today

I like it.

LT was always a class act, and we could certainly do alot worse than a back who can run and catch and has had the success that he has had in SD.

Marshawn, though several years younger, would not be viewed as horrible IMO if he were to be traded for a higher round draft pick (mid-2nd or higher).

The QB, though I admit to knowing nothing about him, sounds interesting if Buddy had been responsible for primarily scouting and drafting the kid. I like Nix's comments yesterday at the combine as well about trying to work with what they have on the roster with Edwards. I think that since he has 1 year left on his contract, has neither had a consistent offensive philosophy since his arrival nor an offensive line with which to work behind. Combine that with his relative lack of turnovers considering his young age- granted, the tendency to check down increases completion percentage and decreases chance of turnover- and I would like to see Edwards in a sound system, with a QB mentor like Cortez on the roster, and with a proven O-coordinator like Gailey, AND behind an improving offensive line.

The draft would be a success in my opinion if we would get:

1.) a starting, Pro Bowl quality LT with pick #9.

2.) a dominant TE like Gronkowski in Round 2a

3.) IF Marshawn were to be traded for a 2nd rounder, a NT in Round 2b

4.) a starting RT in the early mid rounds 3-5

5.) and a RB in the later rounds who will eventually take over for Fred and LT (should he be signed and Marshawn traded).