Marv - worst GM in history of NFL?

sharper802

If/when Whitner is traded/released will that cement Marv as the worst GM in NFL history? I know Millen was awful but Marv's decisions wereworse. Not trading down when Denver offered, Tutan Reyes, Bennie Anderson, trading up for McCargo and Poz, grossly overpaying for langston Walker, Robert Royal, Derrick Dockery, and listening to a cancer riddled Bill Walsh about Trent. Fred Jackson. That's his only contribution....

It's irrelevant if he was the worst, he was simply awful.

Prior to his arrival, the Bills were at least relevant and they had some respect around the league. From day one he was a laughingstock of a choice for gm. The league was rolling over the outrageous money he was paying complete scrubs in free agency. He gave Peerless Price close to $2M per year when he was basically out of the league with no prospects. Hiring Dick Jauron? Not franchising Clements, which may have cost them draft picks and lead to them having to use a subsequent #1 pick on Leodis McKelvin. Instead he signed Dockery and Walker to astonishing deals. Using their top picks to REACH for a SS and a RB when they had pressing needs at any number of far more important positions........his tenure was a disaster. It's amazing how many bad decisions he was able to make in just 2 offseasons.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not even the worst GM in Bills history, but you'd probably have to be older than 12 to realize that. My vote would be Pat McGroder. Poor bastard got booed mercilessly when Ralph decided he had to go on the wall.

Marv wasn't a GM. The mistake was the Bills for asking him to step into the position.

And even if he were the worst in the history of the NFL, anything he did as a coach would certainly trump that fact. Marv helped this organization achieve the only real sustained success it has EVER had. We're talking 51 years. Man deserves respect.

A frickin mod thinks that the NFL was incepted in 1965 when they played the first Super Bowl? Giants-Colts? Yankee Stadium? Greatest game ever played? Either you are in high school or know zilch about football which puzzles me being that you have posted over 2,000 times. Don't quit your day job...

Get some help. You never heard of sarcasm? :thumbsup:

http://www.drugfree.org/portal/drug_guide/ritalin

Not even the worst GM in Bills history, but you'd probably have to older than 12 to realize that. My vote would be Pat McGroder. Poor bastard got booed mercilessly when Ralph decided he had to go on the wall.

Marv wasn't a GM. The mistake was the Bills for asking him to step into the position.

And even if he were the worst in the history of the NFL, anything he did as a coach would certainly trump that fact. Marv helped this organization achieve the only real success it has EVER had. We're talking 51 years. Man deserves respect.

Marv managed personalities, like any HC does. Difference was, he had HOF talent with big egos at multiple positions. As always, Marv is a nice guy, but coming out after DJ was fired and saying he wasn't crazy about the move showed that he wasn't with it. Perhaps that's because he didn't want to admit a colossal error, but those four years without a real GM set the franchise back immensely.

If anything, the Levy GM years made it clear that Bill Polian was the heart and soul behind the glory years of the Bills.

Not even the worst GM in Bills history, but you'd probably have to be older than 12 to realize that. My vote would be Pat McGroder. Poor bastard got booed mercilessly when Ralph decided he had to go on the wall.

And even if he were the worst in the history of the NFL, anything he did as a coach would certainly trump that fact. Marv helped this organization achieve the only real sustained success it has EVER had. We're talking 51 years. Man deserves respect.

To this day I do not know what McGroder actually ever did? He is creditied with helping to bring pro football back to Buffalo in 1960. He held various VP positions with the Bills over several decades. I think his best skill was being Ralph's friend and surviving many regime changes.

I do not think he was ever the GM or in charge of football operations.

I think your rant misses the point as even if you judge Marv as horrible it really only reflects on the real issue which is the team owner Mr. Ralph.

Marv's results simply stand as a double indictment of the team owner as in the end it is the big guy who writes the big checks for failures like Langston Walker and Dockery and who was it who made judgment to hire what you call the worst GM in NFL history in the first place.

Actually if one really wants to make an accurate assessment then who deserves the blame for firing GM Polian, for having such a toxic relationship with Butler he left the Bills in completely horrible shape with the timing of his departure or even worse if he tanked his last draft with a far worse choice than Whitner was.

Mr. Ralph then added insult to injury by hiring TD and totally failing to manage some clear flaws in his strategy (TD seemed to hire GW with a goal of not getting run out of town by a successful HC he hired as he was with Cowher and then showed the utter toxicity of him managing the GM situation by having to fire TD.

You seem to pretty much miss the point by poking the corpse of Marv.

it's so obvious the team sucks because of ralph wilson i don't know why we even discuss it anymore.