The switch to 3-4 are we set at LB?

I like your D - line up. Who do you suggest by way of depth at those positions [ esp NT]?

Depth is a BIG problem.

NT

Basically we need a veteran OR another big body late round pick. I don't see McCargo being able to step up here. Kyle Williams has continued to surprise and overcome all odds. He could be an emergency NT and let Spencer Johnson play the defensive end position he would vacate.

LB

At LB Nic Harris. Ellison is too small but we have all been saying that for 4 years and somehow he still ends up starting every year for several games. We need a free agent or late round pick here.

DB

We should be all set here. We have DBs coming out of our backside!

My sig is what I project for starters but we definitely need more depth. THAT will be the real challenge. Remember we will be playing out of a 3 - 4 but I expect a lot of 4 - 3 in there too hence the "hybrid" statement.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Depth is a BIG problem.

NT

Basically we need a veteran OR another big body late round pick. I don't see McCargo being able to step up here. Kyle Williams has continued to surprise and overcome all odds. He could be an emergency NT and let Spencer Johnson play the defensive end position he would vacate.

LB

At LB Nic Harris. Ellison is too small but we have all been saying that for 4 years and somehow he still ends up starting every year for several games. We need a free agent or late round pick here.

DB

My sig is what I project for starters but we definitely need more depth. THAT will be the real challenge. Remember we will be playing out of a 3 - 4 but I expect a lot of 4 - 3 in there too hence the "hybrid" statement.

Great break down! <_<

Depth is a BIG problem.

NT

LB

DB

I like the way you have approached this. However, do you honestly think we can draft game changing guys at LT,RT,NT,LB and QB who can walk into the lineup and make a difference? And we will be depending on veterans transitioning from 4-3 to 3-4. That is what worries me.

Also what about OLB with run blocking abilities? We desperately need some o' those!

We won't need to reach. We will be in perfect position to get an LT in the first and a NT in the second. Unless we have our RT on the roster or someone is targeted in free agency we should spend our 3rd on a RT or possibly a QB sleeper that we LOVE.

imo I think we HAVE to get at least one LB in free agency. He is a dick head but Joey Porter would fit the bill.

I completely agree with this post. We absolutely need to bring in a LB with 3-4 experience via FA and then draft another one or two in the mid to late rounds, as LT and NT should be taken in the first two.

Another major concern for me is depth. We have 2 that are generally accepted as will be ok. We have 2 big questions outside with maybin and schobel, and no one else.

I agree 100%. Given the injury bug has feasted on the Bills, depth at LB is a primary concern. It's one position that you could upgrade moreso than QB or OL through FA.

I like the way you have approached this. However, do you honestly think we can draft game changing guys at LT,RT,NT,LB and QB who can walk into the lineup and make a difference? And we will be depending on veterans transitioning from 4-3 to 3-4. That is what worries me.

Oh it worries me too. I think we definitely need to bring in some free agents who will at the VERY least provide depth and hopefully push for starting jobs. I think we are generally going with the youth movement on the o-line and it would probably make more sense to continue with it and finish the job building through the draft. It also looks like all of the good NTs are being locked up by their current teams this week so our only options at that spot might be in the draft as well.

QB and LB are probably better filled through free agency for 2010. IMO specifically at QB there is talent out there that would be a definite upgrade over what we have. They might not be big flashy names or a top 10 QB pick but with an improved offensive line they would be an big improvement.

Depending on Maybin's ability to convert and Schobel's ability to convert, if he doesn't retire, we definitely need a free agent LB for depth. If Schobel does retire we definitely need a free agent starter and another for depth. There are some names out there at LB that could really help us depending on how much money we want to spend.

Oh it worries me too. I think we definitely need to bring in some free agents who will at the VERY least provide depth and hopefully push for starting jobs. I think we are generally going with the youth movement on the o-line and it would probably make more sense to continue with it and finish the job building through the draft. It also looks like all of the good NTs are being locked up by their current teams this week so our only options at that spot might be in the draft as well.

QB and LB are probably better filled through free agency for 2010. IMO specifically at QB there is talent out there that would be a definite upgrade over what we have. They might not be big flashy names or a top 10 QB pick but with an improved offensive line they would be an big improvement.

Depending on Maybin's ability to convert and Schobel's ability to convert, if he doesn't retire, we definitely need a free agent LB for depth. If Schobel does retire we definitely need a free agent starter and another for depth. There are some names out there at LB that could really help us depending on how much money we want to spend.

+1

At this point I think we def need RUN blocking OLB. Don't trust maybin with run blocking just yet.

keep in mind we have Lonnie Harvey at NT. prob not a starter, but MAYBE a bkup.

possibly him and Williams could take care of the depth at NT.

I almost forgot about that kid. I don't know much about him but it would be really nice if he could play backup NT at least.

foote and porter would give us a very interesting 6 guys to work with

I like Foote and since Detroit is going to let him walk we might be able to get him cheap. Porter I see as costing a lot and while he might do some good with guys like Maybin he will wont TOP Dollar and is not going to want to ride the pine so do you sit Maybin and start calling him a bust or Schobel and in that case you might as well trade him out of town

Yes I know the NT is one of the most important parts of the 3-4.

But what about your LB'S I can see Poz and Mitchell on the inside I'm ok with that.

The outside is another question Ellison does not fit and Maybin roll the dice .

My point is without two strong and quick edge LB'S to help make it Work it won't be any better than the 4-3 , The Steelers seem to pull these guys out of thin air!! Do we take a Lb in the early rounds? <_<

What about the defensive line? You already mentioned Maybin moving, but Ellis, Schobel (should he return), and Kelsay are all OLB's in a 3-4 defense...

To everyone who chose to ignore my statement referenced above:

Read This

good article.

this suggests they might go w/ a 3-4 over, (i think it is), where NT plays 1-gap, and use Williams.

Defensive tackle Kyle Williams is a 305-pounder who is smaller than the prototypical nose tackle in the 3-4 defense. Gailey suggest the coaches can adjust the scheme to allow for Williams' talent.

would take the pressure off getting a starting "classic" NT.

Williams/Harvey?

also sounds like LYnch is staying put.

Yes I know the NT is one of the most important parts of the 3-4.

But what about your LB'S I can see Poz and Mitchell on the inside I'm ok with that.

The outside is another question Ellison does not fit and Maybin roll the dice .

My point is without two strong and quick edge LB'S to help make it Work it won't be any better than the 4-3 , The Steelers seem to pull these guys out of thin air!! Do we take a Lb in the early rounds? <_<

are the Bills set anywhere besides the secondary?

which means they will probably take a DB with the 9th pick