The switch to 3-4 are we set at LB?

Yes I know the NT is one of the most important parts of the 3-4.

But what about your LB'S I can see Poz and Mitchell on the inside I'm ok with that.

The outside is another question Ellison does not fit and Maybin roll the dice .

My point is without two strong and quick edge LB'S to help make it Work it won't be any better than the 4-3 , The Steelers seem to pull these guys out of thin air!! Do we take a Lb in the early rounds? :thumbsup:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

But what about your LB'S I can see Poz and Mitchell on the inside I'm ok with that.

My point is without two strong and quick edge LB'S to help make it Work it won't be any better than the 4-3 , The Steelers seem to pull these guys out of thin air!! Do we take a Lb in the early rounds? :thumbsup:

Another major concern for me is depth. We have 2 that are generally accepted as will be ok. We have 2 big questions outside with maybin and schobel, and no one else.

I think we def need more 3-4 type LB's but I doubt we will draft any in the early rounds. Im hoping we bring in Joey Porter somehow. We have gaping holes at OT and NT. we definitely have to address those requirements first IMO.

Good Post

The thing is we have soo many requirements. Our major holes were offensive i.e Dire need for a franchise QB, stud tackles at RT and LT with decent depth considering our history of injuries. Now we're changing our D and will need different personnel to fit the scheme from Nose tackles + depth to fleet footed OLB.

Obviously I defer to Gailey and Nix to find ways to fill all these spots with guys who will come in and perform straight away. But I cant help but think that we're trying to bring in too many changes too soon considering our requirements. Can we really draft in guys at all those positions who will come in and turn this team around?? Can we really draft difference makers at all these positions????

I'm not as knowledgeable football wise as a lot of the other guys on this forum, but I think that the prudent think might be to use our picks to fill our needs offensively first. Stick to the 4-3 this year. And draft the guys to run the 3-4 next year. Drafting too many guys just because we're creating soo many holes might end up diluting the quality of the end product.

Just my $0.02 though.

I don't know how they'll address the massive needs at OT, NT, and their OLB pass rushers. Those are three major components of successful teams, and Buffalo has nothing proven at any of those positions. I really don't see how they can go without a NT or OT with their first and perhaps second picks.

At LB, I've got a feeling they'll hope Maybin turns out, rotate in Schobel if he doesn't retire, and pick up a vet to play FT at the other OLB position. Porter seemed to regress mightily last year, so anything more than 2M per would be a lot.

I think we def need more 3-4 type LB's but I doubt we will draft any in the early rounds. Im hoping we bring in Joey Porter somehow. We have gaping holes at OT and NT. we definitely have to address those requirements first IMO.

Also when I say "somehow" to bring ins LB's, I mean any way but offering draft picks. Considering our many needs, I personally don't think we can afford to give draft picks away.

LB is a sore spot if the Bills are going 3-4 and it was going to be an issue anyway if we stayed 4-3. Poz and Mitchell will be inside (Mitchell won't be back until May-I'd be worried about that injury). Ellison is a RFA and I'd be shocked if he's back because he doesn't fit a 3-4 at OLB, same with Corto. Maybin and Schobel would be OLB, but inexperienced.

I'm glad our new asst. GM has personnel experience with 3-4.

Draft the best player regardless of position (to an extent). If a NT is available, take them. I hope they do not reach just to get a player that fills a position. We need fill our roster with good players and the rest will fall into place

Truth.

This is not a year to be impatient. The Bills could end up being worse an any year in recent memory. Free-agency isn't going to be great either. I was listening to Detroit head coach Jim Schwartz yesterday, and the Bills have to strive to do what Detroit did last year, find five new starters via the draft. I hate to use Detroit as an example but it's true.

Draft the best player regardless of position (to an extent). If a NT is available, take them. I hope they do not reach just to get a player that fills a position. We need fill our roster with good players and the rest will fall into place

Truth.

This is not a year to be impatient. The Bills could end up being worse an any year in recent memory. Free-agency isn't going to be great either. I was listening to Detroit head coach Jim Schwartz yesterday, and the Bills have to strive to do what Detroit did last year, find five new starters via the draft. I hate to use Detroit as an example but it's true.

My point is without two strong and quick edge LB'S to help make it Work it won't be any better than the 4-3 , The Steelers seem to pull these guys out of thin air!! Do we take a Lb in the early rounds? <_<

IMO...no. We have other big needs right now. Maybin WILL start as one of the OLBs. If he doesn't call him a bust now. If he doesn't retire, Schobel is a shoe in for the other OLB spot. Nic Harris will be in his second year and if memory serves he wasn't really a weight lifter in college. Harris was actually a safety and was already big for that position. The Bills switched him to LB when he joined the team. He should be able to continue to put on a good deal of weight and should be able to cover as well or better than any LB we have because he was originally a safety.

It always depends on what we do in free agency but I think the earliest we could look at LB would be the 4th round. In my opinion LT, NT, QB, RT are our biggest concerns right now. If we can take care of one of those positions in free agency and ignore our lack of depth we could possibly get a LB in the 4th.

IMO...no. We have other big needs right now. Maybin WILL start as one of the OLBs. If he doesn't call him a bust now. If he doesn't retire, Schobel is a shoe in for the other OLB spot. Nic Harris will be in his second year and if memory serves he wasn't really a weight lifter in college. Harris was actually a safety and was already big for that position. The Bills switched him to LB when he joined the team. He should be able to continue to put on a good deal of weight and should be able to cover as well or better than any LB we have because he was originally a safety.

It always depends on what we do in free agency but I think the earliest we could look at LB would be the 4th round. In my opinion LT, NT, QB, RT are our biggest concerns right now. If we can take care of one of those positions in free agency and ignore our lack of depth we could possibly get a LB in the 4th.

I like your D - line up. Who do you suggest by way of depth at those positions [ esp NT]?

We won't need to reach. We will be in perfect position to get an LT in the first and a NT in the second. Unless we have our RT on the roster or someone is targeted in free agency we should spend our 3rd on a RT or possibly a QB sleeper that we LOVE.

imo I think we HAVE to get at least one LB in free agency. He is a dick head but Joey Porter would fit the bill.