West Sports Report 7-Round Draft

Astrobot

position wise, i like that a lot(maybe not the wr in the 4th or 5th) but i wouldnt have any issues if they picked up those positions....not sure about any of them as players but if the staff does their research and is comfortable picking those players at those positions, i would be very happy

Scott Carasik's Pre-Combine Mock

Scott Carasik actually hit several 4th rounder picks last year, so I respect his research.

I'd be happy if we pulled down his first 3 picks, and give us an A.

Admit I didn't know the fourth rounder, but he's had 38 starts, is smart, and a widebody.

And the 5th rounder? We'll say "Should have seen that one coming."

Astro

Can't say I'd be too happy with it. Eric Norwood is a solid OLB (though he never really maintained consistency in SC), but with the guys we have trying to transition to OLB, plus the OLB's we already have on the roster, Spikes makes way more sense there. And that's in addition to the fact that Spikes is just the more talented player. Other than Spikes there's a bunch of other players I think would be better than Norwood here, tops being Benn, Pouncey, and Fox.

Norwood was setting sack records at SC. He's the SEC's active leader in sacks and tackles for loss. Played in all 49 games over the last 3 yrs, thats sounds pretty consistent to me.

This guy is an idiot. We need a NT to even START the 3-4 defense with. Zac Robinson? Are you !@#$ing kidding me? The kid flat SUCKS.

I think everyone agrees taking Robinson in the 3rd (or 4th or 5th) is too early. Otherwise, I think it's a pretty good mock. In spite of the name, I love the pick of Norwood. Very disruptive LB at South Carolina.

Norwood was setting sack records at SC. He's the SEC's active leader in sacks and tackles for loss. Played in all 49 games over the last 3 yrs, thats sounds pretty consistent to me.

I watched plenty of games where he played poorly. He's a good OLB, was great a great recruit coming out of high school. But he does have games where he doesn't show up.

I watched plenty of games where he played poorly. He's a good OLB, was great a great recruit coming out of high school. But he does have games where he doesn't show up.

Spikes plays ILB in the 3-4 not OLB.

Norwood was a great player on a mid-level team, many times he was the focus of the opposition, so yeah they were games where he was taken out of the action, but regardless, if he were available, he would be a great guy to put opposite Maybin, spikes would be great to line up next to poz too, However, I think there is more depth at ILB than OLB. either would be a great pick.

Id like to get norwood early and Johnson later

Spikes plays ILB in the 3-4 not OLB.

Norwood was a great player on a mid-level team, many times he was the focus of the opposition, so yeah they were games where he was taken out of the action, but regardless, if he were available, he would be a great guy to put opposite Maybin, spikes would be great to line up next to poz too, However, I think there is more depth at ILB than OLB. either would be a great pick.

Id like to get norwood early and Johnson later

Spikes played MLB in a 4-3.

I agree they are both good players, but I don't agree that we have more depth at ILB.

At OLB we have Mitchell, Harris, and Ellison. Plus guys that got playing time last season in Draft and Corto. In addition, players that are going to by trying to make the transition to OLB in Maybin and Ellis. Behind Poz, all ya really got is Palmer and maybe Buggs? I'm not saying that our OLB is great, there are a lot of question marks. But rookies are question marks too. At a minimum, we need another question mark at MLB, cause right now we don't even have that.

Spikes played MLB in a 4-3.

I agree they are both good players, but I don't agree that we have more depth at ILB.

At OLB we have Mitchell, Harris, and Ellison. Plus guys that got playing time last season in Draft and Corto. In addition, players that are going to by trying to make the transition to OLB in Maybin and Ellis. Behind Poz, all ya really got is Palmer and maybe Buggs? I'm not saying that our OLB is great, there are a lot of question marks. But rookies are question marks too. At a minimum, we need another question mark at MLB, cause right now we don't even have that.

Mitchell is slated to play ILB, harris and ellison will be hard pressed to even be on the roster B/c neither really fits the 3-4, ellis' only shot to make the team is at olb.

What I meant was that the draft is deeper at ILB than OLB, so taking an OLB, Norwood, earlier would be wiser than a ILB. Plus there's always the possibility that schobel makes the transition to OLB. right now our line up at lb looks to be Maybin pox mitchell and scobel, but with schobel retiring in the near future, and mitchell being a mid level player, we would be wise to get both positions filled with young guys to supplant them eventually.

Aside from robinson in the 3rd, its not bad, robinson is nowhere near a 3rd rd grade at this point, esp over Lefevour and Snead.

Would you please get off of the Lefevour horse and park him in the barn? I got a better long term qb prospect in Jarrett Brown from WVU. Trust me on this one. :unsure:

Would you please get off of the Lefevour horse and park him in the barn? I got a better long term qb prospect in Jarrett Brown from WVU. Trust me on this one. :unsure:

I know all about Brown (WVU fan), I like him alot as a long term project. 6-4 223, NFL arm, very quick release, good mobility (escapability) 1 yr starter sat behind pat white, but played his 1 yr in a prostyle offense. Will Need time to learn the NFL game, very good attitude, projects as a quality starter in the Pros with proper coaching. I personally think Lefevour will be a great player and is less of a project. However, the only thing that stops me from thinking we wouldnt take Brown is that Ralph has yet to ever sign off on an African american Qb, sad but true. Maybe that will change this year, but you are right Brown is a good long term project.

I know all about Brown (WVU fan), I like him alot as a long term project. 6-4 223, NFL arm, very quick release, good mobility (escapability) 1 yr starter sat behind pat white, but played his 1 yr in a prostyle offense. Will Need time to learn the NFL game, very good attitude, projects as a quality starter in the Pros with proper coaching. I personally think Lefevour will be a great player and is less of a project. However, the only thing that stops me from thinking we wouldnt take Brown is that Ralph has yet to ever sign off on an African american Qb, sad but true. Maybe that will change this year, but you are right Brown is a good long term project.

Your comment on an African American qb is not accurate. He was one of the first owners to have drafted a black qb and allow him to play the position. That player was James Harris from Grambling. He had a fantastic arm. Maybe better than Joe Namath. I remember when the Bills drafted him with a low round draft pick Howard Cosell called Ralph and congratulated him and also told him that James Harris could play in the NFL.

Marlin Briscoe also played some qb for the Bills. He also played as a receiver. Briscoe desperately wanted to play qb and not receiver. He was somewhat embittered by the position stereotyping. If I recall correctly he spent the most time with Denver.

Your comment on an African American qb is not accurate. He was one of the first owners to have drafted a black qb and allow him to play the position. That player was James Harris from Grambling. He had a fantastic arm. Maybe better than Joe Namath. I remember when the Bills drafted him with a low round draft pick Howard Cosell called Ralph and congratulated him and also told him that James Harris could play in the NFL.

Marlin Briscoe also played some qb for the Bills. He also played as a receiver. Briscoe desperately wanted to play qb and not receiver. He was somewhat embittered by the position stereotyping. If I recall correctly he spent the most time with Denver.

Im only 27, I never saw any of them play, my mistake, I was unaware we ever had any black qbs.

Scott Carasik's Pre-Combine Mock

Scott Carasik actually hit several 4th rounder picks last year, so I respect his research.

I'd be happy if we pulled down his first 3 picks, and give us an A.

Admit I didn't know the fourth rounder, but he's had 38 starts, is smart, and a widebody.

And the 5th rounder? We'll say "Should have seen that one coming."

Astro

Scott you mock is aweful. Check this one I posted 2-18-10

NFL Mock draft 2010

Buffalo Bills

Round

#1 –Anthony Davis –OT Rutgers 6-6 –325lbs.

#2- Cam Thomas- NT North Carolina 6-4 331 lbs.

#3-Jason Fox –OT/OL Miami 6-6 314 lbs.

#4- Ciron Black –OL LSU -6-5 331 lbs.

#5- Vincent Oghobaase DT Duke 6-5 301 lbs.

#6A -Chris Degeare OG Wake Forest 6-4 326 lbs.

#6B- Marcus Easley WR- Connecticut 6-4 212 lbs.

#7A-Josh Hall ILB – Penn State 6-3 236 lbs.

#7B- Alex Daniels DE – Cincinnati 6-2 269lbs.

I like Meredith or Bell's potential as RT. People are giving up on Bell way too early. His main problems was penalties, which could be blamed on the fact he was rushed too quick into the lineup. And for all the talk about his strength, he rarely got overpowered. Also another offseason in the weight room could help alot.

Well the way I look at it is that Meredith and Bell would be the backups to both Buluga (Or the 1st round tackle) and Williams (If he is there in the second round). Meredith and Bell have potiental but both lacked the ability to get a real push in the run game on a consistent basis (In fact both really struggled at times against the run) and both were a little bit of a liability in the pass game at times.

Each of them had good games and looked good at times but there were at lot more times where they struggled and showed that they were very raw prospects. To me I wouldn't want to go into this season counting on either one of them as the guaranteed starter for the season.

Honestly even if we don't go with a OT in round 2 I still think we need to pick one up in round 3 to compete with Bell and Meridith. So even if we start either Bell or Meridith I still think that there needs to be another tackle brought in not just for depth but to push both of those guys.

If we were able to get a decent NT in free agency and were able to get Trent Williams in round 2 (Even if it required a trade up of a few slots) and our line looked like this I would actually be excited to see this O-line play going forward.

LT- Buluga

LG- Levitre

C- Hangartner

RG- Wood

RT- Trent Williams