Franchise QB

BuffaloBlood

We all know that our Bills need a franchise QB. That being said what things are you most interested in?

Arm Strength?

Accuracy?

Mobility?

Intelligence?

Experience?

Ability/experience of playing in bad weather?

Character?

Leadership?

Durability?

If you had to put these things into order of preference when deciding what to look for in a franchise QB for the Buffalo Bills what would it be?

We all know that our Bills need a franchise QB. That being said what things are you most interested in?

Arm Strength?

Accuracy?

Mobility?

Intelligence?

Experience?

Character?

Leadership?

Durability?

If you had to put these things into order of preference when deciding what to look for in a franchise QB for the Buffalo Bills what would it be?

1. Accuracy

2. Intelligence

3. Leadership

4. Durability

5. Experience

6. Arm strength

7. Character

8.Mobility

9.Ability/experience in bad weather

Good question ... I think the ability to read defenses quickly and get rid of the ball to the correct receiver or check out of the play to go with a better call. I guess that would be intelligence. Obviously, the QB has to have some tools, but some of the greatest QBs were not the most physically gifted - they were intelligent, were studious, and had a hell of a work ethic - something everyone from B-LO can appreciate.

Arm Strength?

Accuracy?

Mobility?

Intelligence?

Experience?

Character?

Leadership?

Durability?

1.leadership - you have to get people to follow and believe in you.

2. ability - you have to be able to back up #1.

3. toughness - gotta be able to take hits and make the token "this guy loves his rb's" block

4. character/ability to speak - gotta be a decent guy and not sound like an idiot.

5. buffalo - this is actually #1 but can be developed. gotta love the city and the fans and realize that if you succeed, you are a hero in western new york.

3. toughness - gotta be able to take hits and make the token "this guy loves his rb's" block

4. character/ability to speak - gotta be a decent guy and not sound like an idiot.

5. buffalo - this is actually #1 but can be developed. gotta love the city and the fans and realize that if you succeed, you are a hero in western new york.

Peyton Manning loves NO more than Indianaoplis. Favre moved out of Green Bay the moment the seasons were over to go back to Mississippi. If your QB wins 10-12 games a year all of us could care less if he said he hated chicken wings, the Falls smells like an armpit, and the Bills should move to Rochester where there are a few people with jobs.

Just win baby!

Arm Strength?

Accuracy?

Mobility?

Intelligence?

Experience?

Character?

Leadership?

Durability?

Arm strength is more important in Buffalo than in any other town. That makes it really hard to find a franchise QB here. Drew Brees would have a tough time building up a hall of fame career here even with the same supporting cast. There is an all pro strong armed QB who may be available. Does anyone remember how Mcnabb abused Eli at the wind game in Giants stadium in the 08 playoffs.

Peyton Manning loves NO more than Indianaoplis. Favre moved out of Green Bay the moment the seasons were over to go back to Mississippi. If your QB wins 10-12 games a year all of us could care less if he said he hated chicken wings, the Falls smells like an armpit, and the Bills should move to Rochester where there are a few people with jobs.

Just win baby!

all this is true, but it seems like many of us bills fans...the crazy, die-hard, overly optimistic, glutton-for-punishment types...really have a strong connection to our football team (or at least want to). and that is why we wanted jp to succeed, because he seemed to really want to be a part of Buffalo. and that is why i think a "buffalo guy" is an important trait to have in our qb.

1. Accuracy

2. Intelligence

3. Leadership

4. Durability

5. Experience

6. Arm strength

7. Character

8.Mobility

9.Ability/experience in bad weather

Perfect.

The only thing I'll add, is that being able to make all the NFL throws is extremely important. While a QB is not required to have a howitzer for an arm, he needs to be able to stretch the field.

I asked this question because we have seen many combinations of these charecterisitcs since Jimbo.

Rob Johnson had the Arm strength and mobility but not the intelligence or leadership or durability.

Flutie had the mobility the leadership but not he arm strength

Losman had the arm strength and mobility but no accuracy or intelligence

Bledsoe (Bills version) had the arm strength, the accuracy, the intelligence but not he mobility.

Edwards has the ummmmm the ummmmm ok forget Edwards

Im intrested in what should be the msot important and then which QB in this years draft fills the top of your priorities if any?

sorry...this isn't tennis

a joke? - actually winning is the only measurable i care about - i could less about mechanics, footwork, etc. . . - just get the wins neccessary to get into the playoffs and beyond

winning is the only measurable - internalize that - it is a truism

a joke? - actually winning is the only measurable i care about - i could less about mechanics, footwork, etc. . . - just get the wins neccessary to get into the playoffs and beyond

So Im confused do you mean you would want a guy who was a winner in college? The point of my questions is to figure out what guy has the best chance TO WIN in Buffalo. Sooo if your point is that you want a college winner I would guess that Tebow is at the top of your QB draft board huh? Yea good luck with that one.

JP lived in Buffalo how did that work out? Screw this 'he has to live in Buffalo' BS. Just win! I don't care if he is on the first flight out each offseason if we are in the playoffs, AFC championship games and or superbowls to his house somewhere else.

hate to break this to you, but football is a team sport...no player, no matter the position, wins or loses on his own..you seem to be thinking football is like tennis...your so-called truism is not only ridiculously ignorant, it's also insulting to the other players on the team.

Arm Strength?

Accuracy?

Mobility?

Intelligence?

Experience?

Character?

Leadership?

Durability?

1. Mental bandwidth. By this I mean the ability to process large amounts of information quickly and react accordingly. I've read that it takes Bledsoe over a full second longer to see what Tom Brady sees. A high mental bandwidth QB is able to see his second, third, and fourth reads very quickly, and to diagnose where he's supposed to put the football in very short order.

2. Accuracy. This is a ridiculously important trait for a QB to have.

3. Timing. By this I mean the ability to hit a receiver in perfect stride, much like Joe Montana did when he was playing. Very few QBs are good at this; yet it's an important enough trait that I've separated it out from accuracy.

4. Character. By this I mean work ethic, dedication to the game of football, and a passion for winning. (I'll admit that's a little different than the usual definition of character.) All the ability in the world (described above) won't do you any good unless you apply it.

5. Durability. To some extent this is part of #4--if a guy is passionate about football, he's going to want to play through his more minor injuries. But there's also physical and mental toughness, both of which are important enough to deserve their own category. Also, part of being durable is knowing when it's just not worthwhile to take physical punishment. (Part of the reason for Rob Johnson's failure was that he was bad at that.)

6. Leadership. I hate putting leadership so low down on this list. But realistically, if a guy plays well, is passionate about the game, and clearly has talent, he's going to get a certain amount of respect in the locker room even if he's not the most verbally gifted guy in the world. That said, leadership is important. Getting your teammates to believe in themselves, and to pay their best, is a useful thing for a quarterback to be able to do!

7. Arm strength. Clearly, every quarterback needs a certain minimum amount of arm strength to succeed. One could argue that this minimum is higher in Buffalo than elsewhere because of our bad weather. Additional arm strength is also nice to have; though it is far from being the end-all be-all some fans seem to think. 90+% of a quarterback's potential resides between his ears.

8. Mobility. When a quarterback has the ability to use his legs to get out of trouble, it's a nice bonus. Note, however, that a quarterback with high mental bandwidth can get out of trouble by getting rid of the ball in a hurry; which tends to be a more consistently effective strategy than taking off and running with it. But the option of either running, or rolling out and then throwing, is definitely a nice plan B to have!

9. Experience. Maybe this should be higher on the list. You'd want a quarterback to have considerable experience at the college level both to help develop him, and to give your team the chance to evaluate him. But getting a guy with lots of professional experience should not necessarily be a priority right now. We need a younger player who will be with us for many long years to come, not some seasoned veteran a few years from retirement.

10. Bad weather ability/experience. If a guy has the above traits, playing in bad weather shouldn't be a problem for him. Even if he hasn't done it before. Favre grew up in Mississippi and played in a warm weather school in college. He's done okay in a few bad weather games since then. But that's because he's mentally tough enough that bad weather doesn't intimidate him, and because he has good arm strength and really big hands with which to grip the ball, and because he has all the other tools he needs to be a really successful QB.