Jake Plummer to be FA

spartacus

Nothing.

But Bill Walsh loved the guy, even called him the "second coming of Joe Montana, including super bowls and everything."

Bill Walsh loved Edwards as well I am kinda curious to see someone that actually knows offense work with one of our QBs the last time we had that JP actually had good numbers.

Yeah, he left the game and I can remember some statement about the death of his best friend Pat Tillman.

Something about him realizing that there were things more important than football, etc. He was walking away for Pat, or something like that. I can also recall reading somewhere where he was very disillusioned by the global, big business side of the NFL and wanting to separate himself from that. I think that I picked it up from a book written by a journalist that was invited to be a field goal kicker with the Broncos a couple of years ago. He wrote about the inner workings of an NFL team, and it was an interesting read.

But Plummer certainly pulled a Barry Sanders.

Though inconsistent, Plummer was a good QB in AZ and Denver.

I have never heard anything to indicate that Tillman's death had anything to do with Plummer quitting. And I followed these guys fairly closely because I went to ASU and had season tix in 1995 and 1996. I am not saying it wasn't a factor; I just doubt it.

I think the overriding factor with Jake's retirement was Shanahan. Jake had a great year in '05; he made the pro-bowl, cut way down on picks. And one bad playoff game (not even that bad, really) caused Shanahan to turn on him. Shanny drafted Cutler, rushed him into the lineup the next season even though the team was winning, and likely cost the team the playoffs. Jake then wanted to be released; instead Shanahan traded him to a team that had about 37 QBs under contract, and was set to have a free-for-all competition. Jake had had enough, and quit.

From what I've heard, it is extremely unlikely he would make a comeback. I would have loved it if the Bills had drafted him in 1997. I think it would have made a tremendous difference on both his career and on the Bills. But it's 13 years too late.

I thought he was on the pro squash circuit or ping pong or something, he's def. not playing football anymore. Besides, I doubt he wants to stop puffing the magic dragon for the season.

Handball, I believe.

But he quit because he didn't want to play for Denver or be controlled by them. I respected him for that. "Let me go, or I retire." Great stuff.

If his contract runs out, is he really a free agent, or do the retired years not count towards the contract.

If he is really an FA, and if he wants to come back, and if he is willing to come here, he'd be great to have as an option. But I doubt all three of those conditions would be fulfilled.