RT for 2010?

PDaDdy

How did Mike Williams do this year with the Redskins? :doh:

He lost a lot of weight and played RG. I thought he played well. If he dedicates himself into getting into very good condition besides losing weight he should be even better. On a side note he and Dockery are very close friends from their Texas Univ days. Mike Williams and his wife moved into Dockery's house for the season.

In a way this is just another blow to an already abysmal offensive line but it's not like Butler could stay healthy anyway. Has the guy played more than 8 or 10 games a year in the last 3? What do people think our options are at that spot. Given the youth movement I think they are looking for a young guy not a grizzled veteran.

Is there anyone already on the roster, perhaps one of our many failed LT attempts, that might actually be competent at RT?

Is there any prospect in the draft that could be had 3rd or 4th round?

Is there a free agent under the age of 27 that fits the mold and would work with the youth movement?

Butler payed a full season in his second year I think - he at least played more than 10 games that year.

I think they give D. Bell and Jamon Meredith a look and possibly re-sign Scott, but they have to get someone in to compete. I wouldn't mind if one of those two WON the starting job, but I would not like it if one of them was handed it.

This Butler retirement really creates a problem because he was a player that might not have been amazing, but played with a mean streak, was strong, smart, and looked like a good candidate for vetern leader next year.

How did Mike Williams do this year with the Redskins? :thumbsup:

The Redskins are drafting ahead of the Bills in case anyone has noticed. They the Bills were awful and the Redskins were terrible. I watched them play once this year and I thought the rush to their QB was a track meet not a football game.

With Butler now out of the picture it is imperative that the Bills fill both starting OT spots with capable players. This has to be a very high priority.

I would fill the LT spot with our R1 pick and sign a vet FA like C. Clifton to play RT. Then draft another OT later in the draft for depth purposes.

The O-line would then be the following:

LT R1

LG Wood

OC Hangartner

RG Incognito

RT Clifton

Backups:

OT Bell, draft pick

OG Levitre

OC Wood.

With Butler now out of the picture it is imperative that the Bills fill both starting OT spots with capable players. This has to be a very high priority.

I would fill the LT spot with our R1 pick and sign a vet FA like C. Clifton to play RT. Then draft another OT later in the draft for depth purposes.

The O-line would then be the following:

LT R1

LG Wood

OC Hangartner

RG Incognito

RT Clifton

Backups:

OT Bell, draft pick

OG Levitre

OC Wood.

I would like to see us bring in a vet like Clifton while we develop our younger players. I do not see Levitre sitting on the bench. Also, Wood might not even be ready to play the season opener.

Wasn't Levitre a Tackle before? maybe move him outside and then pick up another Guard?

RT was not a huge problem for the o-line last year. One of the biggest problems with buffalos o-line was that there was absolutly no continuity on it, and it got to the point where street free agents were starting because every week they needed to a replacement for one of the spots. One of the most important things for an o-line is that they have to be cohesive and play as if they were one

Out ofthe list of FA, Walker, Gandy or Mike Williams may be the better ones available, and all were at one point dumped by the Bills so they may not be interested in coming back

Wasn't Levitre a Tackle before? maybe move him outside and then pick up another Guard?

RT was not a huge problem for the o-line last year. One of the biggest problems with buffalos o-line was that there was absolutly no continuity on it, and it got to the point where street free agents were starting because every week they needed to a replacement for one of the spots. One of the most important things for an o-line is that they have to be cohesive and play as if they were one

Out ofthe list of FA, Walker, Gandy or Mike Williams may be the better ones available, and all were at one point dumped by the Bills so they may not be interested in coming back

RT was putrid last year .. wait a minute, I just had another vision of Kirk Chambers spinning in circle while the opposing DE heads in to kill our QB. :thumbsup:

Walker, Gandy and Williams .. I say move on.

Bell cannot play RT. He was very good against speed pass rushers trying to go wide, but usually performed poorly when the rush came the inside position. He could not handle bull rushers at all, and was weak as a run blocker.

Bell needs to stay at LT, either starting or as a backup.

I think we should just draft the best OT available, and play him on the side that best suites him. In fact, I think our RT prospects are poorer than our LT currently.

Bell cannot play RT. He was very good against speed pass rushers trying to go wide, but usually performed poorly when the rush came the inside position. He could not handle bull rushers at all, and was weak as a run blocker.

Bell needs to stay at LT, either starting or as a backup.

I think we should just draft the best OT available, and play him on the side that best suites him. In fact, I think our RT prospects are poorer than our LT currently.

Sadly I might have to agree with you that our RT prospects are even worse. Isn't it sad and telling that some are saying the best tackle prospects out there are guys we got rid of??? When will this front office and the rest of our fans realize how important the offensive line is? Good or probowl talent needs to be kept and compensated instead of scraping the bargain bin and trotting out any old guy off the street who goes is 6'4" 300+.

Personally, I don't think we have a starting caliber RT. WE have some decent swing guys, but no starters. I would like to see Wood at center and Hangartner moved to backup. Incognito is moderately talented, but I don't trust him. Anyone who thinks nasty attitudes are worth 15-yard penalties are losers. I don't want losers on my team- I want guys who execute.

The only guy on the roster who I like at RT is Merideth. He did 31 reps at the combine, so his upperbody strength is already pretty good, it's his lower he needs to work on, and he ran a 4.99 40, so he can move. I believe he weighed 304 last season, so he has room to get bigger as well. In all honesty I thought he would have given Butler a run for his money at RT anyways. The only decent option in free agency would be Vernon Carey.

I agree with you there. Meredith looks like a sleeper at the tackle position for us this year. I think he showed enough potential last year to get a look from the new coaching staff and compete for RT.

I agree with you there. Meredith looks like a sleeper at the tackle position for us this year. I think he showed enough potential last year to get a look from the new coaching staff and compete for RT.

I like Meredith- but I like him better on the bench. He has some upside and can provide some quality depth.