Postal stamp increase...AGAIN......

HelloNewman

Funny - all you d*ckheads out there seem to be strangely silent about the $779 million handout (see LA Times article) that the USPS is currently asking from the government. This isn't part of the rate increase - this is IN ADDITION to the rate increase.

"Sweat the small stuff"?!? I sure as swell sweat about giving 779 million of my taxpayer dollars towards a bloated, inefficient organization with lazy people.

132399[/snapback]

And explain how this effects your day-to-day life. Also explain how that $779 million could be spent whereas NO ONE would have a problem with it.

Like I said, don't sweat the small stuff.

Big events will happen in all of our personal lives that require more attention that this. If you really get upset that the UPSP is wasting money, I would go have your blood pressure checked. Honestly. Don't sweat it. It isn't effecting what you ae doing today, or your kids, or will it in the future. It'll be ok.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And explain how this effects your day-to-day life. Also explain how that $779 million could be spent whereas NO ONE would have a problem with it.

Big events will happen in all of our personal lives that require more attention that this. If you really get upset that the UPSP is wasting money, I would go have your blood pressure checked. Honestly. Don't sweat it. It isn't effecting what you ae doing today, or your kids, or will it in the future. It'll be ok.

132413[/snapback]

How about that my annual share of the federal budget is $8000? Or that the average American works almost 4 months simply to pay their taxes, leaving the rest of the year to take care of their families?

$779,000,000 here, $779,000,000 there, eventually it adds up to real money.

We'll see how you feel in 15 years, when you have a clue about how much you're really being screwed.

I guess I'll jump in too (why not?).

Without looking it up, it seems like we went several years without or between postal increases. I have a sheet of Elvis stamps somewhere about 10 years old that are .28 cents.

At what point do you begin to get concerned? $1.00 per stamp? This seems to be moving exponentially. E-Commerce, FEDEX and others are changing the dynamics of this. On top of that, the postal service IS mismanaged. They need to be studying some lean techniques and figuring out ways to join into the information exchange changes taking place.

That said, do not discount the effects of the Anthrax problem. Decontamination of facilities and the resulting bio-detection systems now being installed throughout the system aren't cheap. And the USPS is not going to make loud of it for public relations reasons (which could decrease their market share further).

132396[/snapback]

Assuming an average inflation rate of 3%, then if stamps were .28 10 years ago, they should be at $.39 now and about $.40 next year. It seems pretty well in line with a conservative inflation rate.

Plus, the USPS is exposed to extraordinary inflationary pressure from the current fuel spike and anthrax terrorist attack.

132413[/snapback]

If I am a small business owner, who does a lot of mailings (I have operated two businesses, BTW-both in environmental construction with tons of AP/AR, reports, stacks of manifests to accompany invoices, etc.) the impact of those four cents adds up over the course of a year after thousands of mailings. It effects my bottom line. Not everyone is impacted solely through their DTV bill and XMAS card list.

If I am a small business owner, who does a lot of mailings (I have operated two businesses, BTW-both in environmental construction with tons of AP/AR, reports, stacks of manifests to accompany invoices, etc.) the impact of those four cents adds up over the course of a year after thousands of mailings. It effects my bottom line. Not everyone is impacted solely through their DTV bill and XMAS card list.

132421[/snapback]

Aren't businesses exempt from this increase? They were from the last USPS increase.

Funny - all you d*ckheads out there seem to be strangely silent about the $779 million handout (see LA Times article) that the USPS is currently asking from the government. This isn't part of the rate increase - this is IN ADDITION to the rate increase.

"Sweat the small stuff"?!? I sure as swell sweat about giving 779 million of my taxpayer dollars towards a bloated, inefficient organization with lazy people.

132399[/snapback]

Hey unidentified poster who calls people Dickheads, I have friends who work for the postal service as did my grandfather and they do and he did work themselves to the bone. These people are NOT lazy. My Friend in NC has a full 8 hour route, with thousands of addresses all of which have to be sorted before he can even begin delivering. If it takes him longer than the assigned time his records reflect this and it can effect his ability to receive raises and route promotion.

If you want to start throwing insults at people, log in, and take responsibility for your words.

It takes a real kitty to post insulting words annonymously.

132421[/snapback]

THIS is the first post against the increase that I realy agree with. Businesses that send large volumes will certainly feel this much more than the average consumer.

Hey unidentified poster who calls people Dickheads, I have friends who work for the postal service as did my grandfather and they do and he did work themselves to the bone. These people are NOT lazy.  My Friend in NC has a full 8 hour route, with thousands of addresses all of which have to be sorted before he can even begin delivering. If it takes him longer than the assigned time his records reflect this and it can effect his ability to receive raises and route promotion.

If you want to start throwing insults at people, log in, and take responsibility for your words.

It takes a real kitty to post insulting words annonymously.

132423[/snapback]

1. He doesn't have thousands.....lol

2. Everyone has to sort their mail. That all depends on speed.

3. Route drivers do have a strict time allottment, but it doesn't cause problems with raises. Route promotion is a different story.

132421[/snapback]

You're a small business owner who is complaining that the cost of stamps has gone up in a direct relation with everything else that you have to buy to run your business? You've gotta be kidding me. As much as you'd like to think my life revolves around the things you mentioned, I do understand that running a business costs money, and I have notinced that the cost to put an ad in a news paper has gone up at a much higher rate per reader than the cost of a stamp has over the past 10 years. I'm surprised you think so highly of yourself (by putting me down in the last sentence of your post) but are actually upset or surprised by this increase.

Aren't businesses exempt from this increase?  They were from the last USPS increase.

132422[/snapback]

I don't know, as I'm not in business any longer. I have gone through increases when I was. We weren't exempted for squat. I was dealing with contaminated soil. On one job, I might have to send packages of manifests and scale tickets weighing upwards of five pounds to four different entities. That crap adds up.

You're a small business owner who is complaining that the cost of stamps has gone up in a direct relation with everything else that you have to buy to run your business? You've gotta be kidding me. As much as you'd like to think my life revolves around the things you mentioned, I do understand that running a business costs money, and I have notinced that the cost to put an ad in a news paper has gone up at a much higher rate per reader than the cost of a stamp has over the past 10 years.  I'm surprised you think so highly of yourself (by putting me down in the last sentence of your post) but are actually upset or surprised by this increase.

132429[/snapback]

Cosidering USPS increases are going up at the rate of inflation, business owners should have other worries. Like all other shipping companies are passing along increases that are 4-5 times the rate of inflation - this goes UPS, Fed Ex and other large shipping companies.

I don't know, as I'm not in business any longer. I have gone through increases when I was. We weren't exempted for squat. I was dealing with contaminated soil. On one job, I might have to send packages of manifests and scale tickets weighing upwards of five pounds to four different entities. That crap adds up.

132432[/snapback]

Your right, those type of shipments were subject to the increases. I think it was the bulk mailers that were expempt (believe it or not!).

You're a small business owner who is complaining that the cost of stamps has gone up in a direct relation with everything else that you have to buy to run your business? You've gotta be kidding me. As much as you'd like to think my life revolves around the things you mentioned, I do understand that running a business costs money, and I have notinced that the cost to put an ad in a news paper has gone up at a much higher rate per reader than the cost of a stamp has over the past 10 years.  I'm surprised you think so highly of yourself (by putting me down in the last sentence of your post) but are actually upset or surprised by this increase.

132429[/snapback]

:lol:

Wow. I actually wasn't aiming at you at all. I just happened to have my DTV bill in front of me while I was typing that (writing out my weekly bills) and used that as an example. I have no idea if you send XMAS cards. Many don't. You actually DO have quite an exagerated sense of self, don't you?

What I WAS doing is responding to your point about it having no effect. I think it does if you are a small business owner that does a lot of mailing. Sure, everything goes up-but everything that goes up has an impact, because very often small business enterprises have to run a very tight P&L to be competitive, and can't easily pass those increases off to their customers. When they do that, they run a risk of being outbid by the larger companies that are better structured and positioned to absorb those kinds of increases. Try being an environmental remediation company doing about 2.5 million a year competing against guys like CH2M Hill.

Cosidering USPS increases are going up at the rate of inflation, business owners should have other worries.  Like all other shipping companies are passing along increases that are 4-5 times the rate of inflation - this goes UPS, Fed Ex and other large shipping companies.

132436[/snapback]

Except they aren't.

Inflation from 1990-1999: 2.21%

Inflation from 2000-2003: 1.57%

It's because some dock workers make around 100 grand a year with overtime.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: government waste

132232[/snapback]

Kills me that now the know it all, know everything, are calling US postal workers lazy! :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Filter ought to change that and attempts to work around phrase to "stevestojan"

Get over "stevestojan" being a swear word - it deserves it. You complain about swearing and then you avoid the filter.

stevestojan translation: F-CKING MORON

IT'S FOUR F-CKING CENTS!

Filter ought to change that and attempts to work around phrase to "stevestojan"

Get over "stevestojan" being a swear word - it deserves it.  You complain about swearing and then you avoid the filter.

stevestojan translation:  F-CKING MORON

132524[/snapback]

If your going to harrass a poster who has the nerve to identify himself as he complains at least be a man and say who you are. Unregistered Guest = F-ing Coward!

That is without fuel.  You MUST factor fuel in when dealing in the shipping industry - it has a greater impact than most.

132514[/snapback]

Fuel prices from 1992-1999 suffered from stagflation. IE, they actually remained level or dropped. That was as big a factor in the BS "Clinton Economy" as any other single thing.

As I stated earlier, the USPS spends over 3/4ths of its budget on personnel. The remainder is spent on EVERYTHING else, from buildings to fleet maintenance. They also owe the American taxpayer somewhere in the neighborhood of $70,000,000,000.00 and are asking for nearly $800,000,000.00 more.

Want to keep going?