Before We Start Complaining About The Ticket Prices...

BillsPhan

I suppose some of us out here will be upset about the timing of the Bills' raising ticket prices. How dare they, right? All those sell outs during the playoff-less years this past decade. The overwhelmingly underwhelming hiring of Chan Gailey to turn everything around, when every loyal season ticket holder and individual ticket buying fan were hoping for a Bill Cowher-type coach for the job. We can certainly go on and on about how we are being screwed.......

......accept for one simple fact, even with the increases, the Bills will still offer the CHEAPEST tickets to see an NFL football game in the league. In fact, they will still be cheaper by about an average of $18.00 per ticket, instead of $20.00 per ticket, below the NFL average.

So let's all keep this in mind as we begin our assault on the "greedy and selfish front office of the Buffalo Bills."

I suppose some of us out here will be upset about the timing of the Bills' raising ticket prices. How dare they, right? All those sell outs during the playoff-less years this past decade. The overwhelmingly underwhelming hiring of Chan Gailey to turn everything around, when every loyal season ticket holder and individual ticket buying fan were hoping for a Bill Cowher-type coach for the job. We can certainly go on and on about how we are being screwed.......

......accept for one simple fact, even with the increases, the Bills will still offer the CHEAPEST tickets to see an NFL football game in the league. In fact, they will still be cheaper by about an average of $18.00 per ticket, instead of $20.00 per ticket, below the NFL average.

So let's all keep this in mind as we begin our assault on the "greedy and selfish front office of the Buffalo Bills."

I see this as Ralph's last chance to build a team through Free Agency. He has not done anything to bring in FA's. He had the chance to build last year when he brought in TO, but he got no one else. This raising of ticket prices without any significant free agent signings this offseason will finally cement his supposed reputation as a money sucking owner who is trying to milk Bills fans of every last dollar. Patience is not even a word we can use any more. 10 years of absolute crap.

I see this as Ralph's last chance to build a team through Free Agency. He has not done anything to bring in FA's. He had the chance to build last year when he brought in TO, but he got no one else. This raising of ticket prices without any significant free agent signings this offseason will finally cement his supposed reputation as a money sucking owner who is trying to milk Bills fans of every last dollar. Patience is not even a word we can use any more. 10 years of absolute crap.

I wouldn't see raising ticket prices as leading to more FA dollars being spent. Even when the Bills went to Toronto, RW admitted that deal wouldn't mean more money spent on players.

With no cap this year and more players being RFA's, I'd anticipate teams will sit tight, tender their RFA's, and wait for the impending labor issues to blow over.

After all, RW made his "changes" to the organization and there's no hurry to build a winner. The franchise is committed to making fewer commitments to complete a sale. If the Rams deal is any indication, team's aren't going for their value as determined by Forbes.

I wouldn't see raising ticket prices as leading to more FA dollars being spent. Even when the Bills went to Toronto, RW admitted that deal wouldn't mean more money spent on players.

With no cap this year and more players being RFA's, I'd anticipate teams will sit tight, tender their RFA's, and wait for the impending labor issues to blow over.

After all, RW made his "changes" to the organization and there's no hurry to build a winner. The franchise is committed to making fewer commitments to complete a sale. If the Rams deal is any indication, team's aren't going for their value as determined by Forbes.

I have no problem with raising ticket prices, but if we sit tight and do nothing in FA, the Bills are headed for disaster. They do not have the greatest reputation to attract FA's based on Pisa Tinoisamoa's reason for not signing with the Bills last year. Not hat we missed anything based on him getting hurt, but his lame excuse that he wanted to earn the job and not just be annointed a starter made me think he had little intention of signing with the Bills and using their offer to jack up the Bears offer.

I have no problem with raising ticket prices, but if we sit tight and do nothing in FA, the Bills are headed for disaster. They do not have the greatest reputation to attract FA's based on Pisa Tinoisamoa's reason for not signing with the Bills last year. Not hat we missed anything based on him getting hurt, but his lame excuse that he wanted to earn the job and not just be annointed a starter made me think he had little intention of signing with the Bills and using their offer to jack up the Bears offer.

I don't disagree with you. Last year a lot of fans on this very board thought RW just had to spend big on UFA's for a team that was near 10 seasons without a playoff appearance. Needless to say, it didn't happen. TO, IMO, was merely a PR move. I liked the move, but only for what it was: a shot of adrenaline for a franchise hurting. It worked to sell tickets and focus attention on the team, but nothing more.

I really think that both coaches AND players aren't really high on going to Buffalo. I suspect most in the NFL know this is a rebuilding project now, given the lack of OT's, a starting QB, and paucity of players that fit the front 7 of their new defense.

The only way this off-season to find good players may be the trade route.

Just curious. Why are we headed for disaster? This team has been a disaster for over a decade and yet the faithful line up for every game. I'm convinced that barring Dallas-type ticket prices, that this team will continue to mostly fill the stadium regardless of the coach, GM, FAs or anything else. RW figured this out long ago. It's not about winning anymore. It's about the party and not much else. For $60 you get an eight hour party. Concerts cost more than that and they only last about three hours. From a party perspective, the Bills are hands-down the best value in the NFL. What difference will winning really make? The stadium is full anyway.

There is one thing that I never understood about our perception of ticket prices in Buffalo. I was home for Christmas and decided I wanted to catch a Sabres game. I purchased two tickets at a cost of $189.00. Of course I bought them because I wanted to see my home town hockey team play. It has become acceptable to spend rediculous amounts of money on Sabres tickets but when it comes to the Bills, us fans think we should be paying UB prices to watch our NFL team play. I really don't think the people of Buffalo would mind paying higher tickets prices, the problem is, Ralph has never required us to. Now don't get me wrong, us Buffalonians always find something to b*tch about, but that is just in our DNA. When it comes down to it, we will pay whatever is required in order to suport our beloved Bills. Just the same we do our Sabres when they ask you to pay $189.00 for two tickets.

You guys realize the Free agent market is going to suck right? Two tags for all teams to use so you can cut the stud players down to pretty much ZERO without giving up draft picks. And you can bet your asses they will be tagging the crap outta guys with no cap in place. this also puts a premium on draft picks this year so they aren't going to let studs walk without compensation.

also a ton of URFA's will now be RFA's due to the rule change of not having a cap. So I don't see the Bills doing much of anything at all in Free agency and I don't blame them. I would NOT under ANY Circumstances trade away any picks this year.

You guys realize the Free agent market is going to suck right? Two tags for all teams to use so you can cut the stud players down to pretty much ZERO without giving up draft picks. And you can bet your asses they will be tagging the crap outta guys with no cap in place. this also puts a premium on draft picks this year so they aren't going to let studs walk without compensation.

also a ton of URFA's will now be RFA's due to the rule change of not having a cap. So I don't see the Bills doing much of anything at all in Free agency and I don't blame them. I would NOT under ANY Circumstances trade away any picks this year.

Well said and I agree with most of what you said. Teams will have to build through the draft this year and yes there will be a premium on draft picks. So therefore you can get a player in trade for less this year, because the picks are worth more, due to the unavailability of FA's.

I think the Bills may have to use some picks to bring in a guy or two.

Well said and I agree with most of what you said. Teams will have to build through the draft this year and yes there will be a premium on draft picks. So therefore you can get a player in trade for less this year, because the picks are worth more, due to the unavailability of FA's.

I think the Bills may have to use some picks to bring in a guy or two.

Simple economics tells you that this is false. The supply of top veteran players to fill teams holes will be decreased, but the demand will remain the same. Therefore the cost will increase due to the amount of potential suitors for these players. Need me to draw you a graph?

Picture

Agree. I would even take it a step further. They should raise ticket prices even MORE if it stops them from doing absolutely INSANE things like giving away home field advantage for games in Toronto!

Not sure how you can put one of, if not the crappiest products in the entire NFL on the field for over a decade, and raise the prices. I guess it is time for the fans to pay for T.O.'s contract from last season. They are still, I guess the second cheapest ticket in the NFL, so if Ralph allows them to spend the extra money on making this team a contender, and not slide it into his wallet like he is so prone to do, it really won't be a problem, but that is a big if. This just increases the need for them to make at least one big move in free agency, if not more than one, since it is going to be tough to sell season tickets, as it was last year until T.O. signed. Let's hope Ralph puts the extra ticket money as well as the millions he has received for selling out a home game to Toronto, towards making this team a winner, and he will start to get the fanbase back into his corner, because as of right now, he has to be one of the most disliked people in Western New York, and justifiably so.

Not true. They Bills now will be 30th out of 32 teams. so how can they be the cheapest?

Fans better understand this, Ticket prices are going to go up WAY higher than they are now if the team is going to stay in Buffalo. That is just how it is.

Having an NFL team in your city is expensive. Buffalo has gotten a break for years. Some people think they are owed everything. Hey, University at Buffalo football season tickets are like $90.

PTR

I really think that both coaches AND players aren't really high on going to Buffalo. I suspect most in the NFL know this is a rebuilding project now, given the lack of OT's, a starting QB, and paucity of players that fit the front 7 of their new defense.

Hogwash. George Edwards left a cushy DC job at Florida to come to freaking Buffalo. Players continually talk about how they love the fan support. If there is ANY reason players don't want to come here, it's the weather -- and that's it. NFL players are trying to make all the $$ they can while they are in their prime, and very few have the "luxury" of picking and choosing where they end up.

Hogwash. George Edwards left a cushy DC job at Florida to come to freaking Buffalo. Players continually talk about how they love the fan support. If there is ANY reason players don't want to come here, it's the weather -- and that's it. NFL players are trying to make all the $$ they can while they are in their prime, and very few have the "luxury" of picking and choosing where they end up.

Would you rather be a hitting coach for the Bisons or for the Mets? Edwards was in the college ranks, and it's a promotion to do the same job in the NFL.

Players say a lot of things to the media, but the only thing that matters is A) Money and B) Chance of Winning. They'll play wherever they can to meet those criteria. And right now, Buffalo (along with the rest of the NFL) won't be handing out big contracts. It's safe to say the Bills will be in rebuild mode again next season, so winning isn't happening here anytime soon.

Players look forward to the day they hit UFA, so they can choose where they go. It's why the RFA's who should be hitting UFA after their 4th and 5th years of service aren't happy. They'll be losing dollars by having to take a tender that might not be as much as another team would give.

Not true. They Bills now will be 30th out of 32 teams. so how can they be the cheapest?

I don't know where you get your ticket price info from, but I read and heard that Buffalo is by far the cheapest average ticket to watch an NFL game. As recently as last season, I read in the Buffalo News that a Bills ticket averaged almost $20.00 less then the rest of the NFL average ticket prices. So I suppose there could be two teams that charge less, but that is not what I read.