What's a father to do?

mcdo

I was born in 1962. Growing up I watched the Bills, as many kids did, beside my father. It is a special time in a young boys life. My dad was a huge influence in development as a Bills fan, explaining the game player positions and rules. Now it's my turn sitting there with my boys but it just doesn't seem the same. I don't remember my dad trying to explain to me why someone who hit a person with a car deserves our support. I don't remember my dad trying to explain why someone who derived pleasure from murdering dogs would be a good choice for our team. Have the players changed or has the media spotlight just brought it to the forefront? I just don't know but it gives me a headache just thinking about it....any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was born in 1962. Growing up I watched the Bills, as many kids did, beside my father. It is a special time in a young boys life. My dad was a huge influence in development as a Bills fan, explaining the game player positions and rules. Now it's my turn sitting there with my boys but it just doesn't seem the same. I don't remember my dad trying to explain to me why someone who hit a person with a car deserves our support. I don't remember my dad trying to explain why someone who derived pleasure from murdering dogs would be a good choice for our team. Have the players changed or has the media spotlight just brought it to the forefront? I just don't know but it gives me a headache just thinking about it....any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I tell my grandchildren that these players were given much in life. They were elevated to their incomes because they had certain athletic skills, but that did not give them the right to break society's rules, then just go back to the way it was. I believe they shouldn't be allowed to play anywhere. They should find a new occupation.

Dont discuss the social aspect of the game....explain the Xs and Os about the game.

Don't use the players as role models and it won't matter what they do...the game is for entertainment purposes only. Not social commentary.

I suggest you do the same with Politics, the Church and many other aspects of life. I suggest that you be your kid's role model and not use other to do the job.

Eric

Who said that someone who hit a person with a car deserves our support?

Who said Vick is a good choice for our team? (I know some do). He's not.

The NFL is full of bad AND good people.

Tell them about Drew Brees and Frank Reich and countless other good men.

And teach him how to block, catch, throw and tackle...

and how to try your best and be a good sport.

It depends what you focus on.

teach him that football is good: dreadlocks and gold teeth are bad

You might really want to stress how not to pull a gun on your father too. Maybe its a good thing for you James Hardy has been a non factor

Who said that someone who hit a person with a car deserves our support?

Who said Vick is a good choice for our team? (I know some do). He's not.

The NFL is full of bad AND good people.

Tell them about Drew Brees and Frank Reich and countless other good men.

And teach him how to block, catch, throw and tackle...

and how to try your best and be a good sport.

It depends what you focus on.

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I may have given the wrong impression in my post. The meaning of what I wanted to say was, How do I pass along the traditions in today's world of entitled athlete? I had just read an article on-line about the Bills looking to trade for Vick and it upset me. Sorry if it come out wrong.

I think you've gotten lots of good advice here so far. Sports are a small part of life, and I think that should be part of the lesson. My father asked me to watch some games with him about twenty years ago, and I still look forward to calling him on Sunday evenings to talk about the Bills, even when there isn't much good to discuss. It can be a great bonding experience.

As for the players who don't seem to share your values, I think it can be another learning experience. In the end, most of the guys who break laws end up being punished. They may have more perks and get a few more chances than most people would, but that's real life. Guys with exceptional money or talent tend to get away with more.

Dont discuss the social aspect of the game....explain the Xs and Os about the game.

Don't use the players as role models and it won't matter what they do...the game is for entertainment purposes only. Not social commentary.

I suggest you do the same with Politics, the Church and many other aspects of life. I suggest that you be your kid's role model and not use other to do the job.

Eric

:unsure:

good answer i agree 100%

Well all i can say is when i was young i was wearing a OJ jersey all the time and now my six year old wants a Miami jersey :unsure: ~ :doh: Not gonna happen :doh: Now this is a problem ! He will live and learn and bleed blue under my roof and we will keep all the negative stuff away from him .

oh man I LOVE the Holloway and Major Harris stuff - but who was Darein Hagan??

Actually it's spelled 'Darian' -- he was Colorado's QB during the first half of their run in the late 80s/early 90s; preceding Kordell Stewart.

He ran, he threw, he won. He was drafted in the 4th round and ended up in the CFL.

Its unfortunate, but people that attempt to tell you teaching your children will be enough, they are sadly mistaken. Individuals such as Vick and others who break the law should be banned from the game. These altheletes, whether they like it or not, have a role model responsibility. It comes with the job. I don't want to hear how thats not true, or they didn't sign on for that. Thats all BS. Its been known for decades now that kids look up to these althetes and thats not going to change anytime soon. The NFL ultimately has a responsibility to the public to field a product that is as clean and wholesome as it can be. They covet the younger audience in order to maintain a longterm revenue stream, they need to be held accountable, as do the players themselves.

As for your kids, tell them right out what the player did wrong and voice your concerns, not only to them, but lead by example, write the NFL and tell them of your displeasure, and have your children actively watch you do it. Leading by example is the true way to get it done and becoming a voice through correspondence to the NFL shows them you are serious, not only about the incident, but about how much you love your children and what lengths you would go through to ensure their hearts and heads are in the right place as they mature.

Its not easy to be looked upon as a "complainer" when your view differs from many others. But your children are your responsibility. I sent several letters to the NFL about player conduct on and off the field and I had both of my sons watch or actively participate. To those that disagree, I don't come into your home to lecture you on ethics, don't step into mine.

Never forget mcdo, as a parent, we have obligations and responsibilities to our children first, everything else is secondary.

Well all i can say is when i was young i was wearing a OJ jersey all the time and now my six year old wants a Miami jersey <_< ~ :lol: Not gonna happen :) Now this is a problem ! He will live and learn and bleed blue under my roof and we will keep all the negative stuff away from him .

time for some tough love....no good parent lets their kids grow up to be Fish fans

Well all i can say is when i was young i was wearing a OJ jersey all the time and now my six year old wants a Miami jersey <_< ~ :lol: Not gonna happen :) Now this is a problem ! He will live and learn and bleed blue under my roof and we will keep all the negative stuff away from him .

Please brainwash this kid before its to late!!!