We hired Stan Kwan? WTH?

cale

I have no problem with someone calling my OP out on some kind of known fact. Lori listed what the rankings of the Detroit ST were the past year. Fair enough. At least that's based on fact.

DeHaven might have given his approval and hired Kwan himself or Kwan might have been hired by Gailey who is assembling the staff for all his units. Per the hiring of the defensive assistants prior to Edwards.

April was a well respected ST coach and assistant coach in the league prior to his hire. He had a strong record and I think the insiders knew what the real issues were in STL. Namely Martz.

But Kwan? C'mon. In his own words he fell short:

http://detnews.com/article/20100108/SPORTS...nator-Stan-Kwan

I'm with Buffalo Rally Monkey, you call into question any moves the organization makes and all of a sudden you're some kind of idiot. Cause obviously OBD knows so much better. So far it hasn't showed up on the field.

C

You are a clown

Lol...maybe we should change the name of the team to the Buffalo Scapegoats then!

...why is that, because I used the word "scapegoat" twice in one post? I'll try to watch that next time. Listen, my point is that as the Lions "top 5" special teams crew got worse each season under Kwan, I don't agree that it is as simple as Kwan being a bad special teams coach. The entire team has sucked each of the past 4 seasons. They punt more and kick off less then most teams in the NFL, and who knows how many field goals they even get a chance to kick?? Not to mention the fact that their kick off return teams must get worn out by the end of the season too. That's why football is the ultimate team game. Finally, losing almost every week for four consecutive years has to wear on even the special teams players.

...why is that, because I used the word "scapegoat" twice in one post? I'll try to watch that next time. Listen, my point is that as the Lions "top 5" special teams crew got worse each season under Kwan, I don't agree that it is as simple as Kwan being a bad special teams coach. The entire team has sucked each of the past 4 seasons. They punt more and kick off less then most teams in the NFL, and who knows how many field goals they even get a chance to kick?? Not to mention the fact that their kick off return teams must get worn out by the end of the season too. That's why football is the ultimate team game. Finally, losing almost every week for four consecutive years has to wear on even the special teams players.

Jokes aside, I get what you say. Hopefully DeHaven is smart enough to take Kwan's good ideas and reject the bad ones.

DeHaven might have given his approval and hired Kwan himself or Kwan might have been hired by Gailey who is assembling the staff for all his units. Per the hiring of the defensive assistants prior to Edwards.

I suspect that Edwards was likely talking to Gailey about those decisions, and just not publicly introducing them, as he was keeping the new job hush-hush. Of course, thats not based off anything other then my own thinking that he was lined up long before the hire.

Bobby April's special teams were putrid for the last couple years in St Louis before he came to Buffalo. Guess we should never had hired him. This is an ignorant post.

You beat me to it. April's STs were bad in St. Louis for these reasons:

1. no emphasis on ST in the drafting

2. no starters allowed on ST

3. Very little practice time and game planning provided by Martz.

I will bet that Detriot meets at least two of the 3 criteria above. The original point is not valid at all.

If DeHaven wants to work with Kwan then so be it.