What happened to Trent Edwards?

JPS

If the choice is between Trent and a proven veteran, I'll take the proven veteran. If the choice is between Trent and anyone else on the roster (or drafted), I'd probably lean in favor of Trent (although Brohm intrigues me). So again I more or less agree with you.

If it's between Trent and anyone on the roster, it's Fitz.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the choice is between Trent and a proven veteran, I'll take the proven veteran. If the choice is between Trent and anyone else on the roster (or drafted), I'd probably lean in favor of Trent (although Brohm intrigues me). So again I more or less agree with you.

Yup. Agreed. If they keep the 3 we have now, I think Trent deserves a shot before Fitz or Brohm (Brohm being my number 2 choice). I just hope they don't.

If it's between Trent and anyone on the roster, it's Fitz.

Scary thing is, in '09, Edwards had a higher completion percentage and QB rating. Both threw 1 more INT than TD. If you look at stats, there was absolutely NO improvement when Fitz took over. Niether would hang their hat on '09, not should they. I think Fitz is garbage and has a longer resume to prove it. TE may be as well. Maybe it's Brohm beacause we have less proof of how bad he can be.

Scary thing is, in '09, Edwards had a higher completion percentage and QB rating. Both threw 1 more INT than TD. If you look at stats, there was absolutely NO improvement when Fitz took over. Niether would hang their hat on '09, not should they. I think Fitz is garbage and has a longer resume to prove it. TE may be as well. Maybe it's Brohm beacause we have less proof of how bad he can be.

Scary indeed. But stats don't tell the whole story. Look at the 2 Buffalo Bills records Ryan set his year. Longest TD play from scrimmage (98 yards) and longest run for TD by QB (something like 31 yards). These were both plays that Ryan saw an opportunity and didn't brain freeze and went for it. And he had a great game in a blizzard. Do you honestly see Trent doing any of this? Ryan's not as good of a passer, but he's way football smarter and gutsier. Gives him the nod in my book.

Now hopefully we get a better vet in here between now and July who can be the started. But if it's between the 3 we got now, it's Fitz.

The NFL is filled with coaches like Dick Jauron who have tons of experience,playing experience and coaching experience. Guys like him know the game inside and out and have seen everything. The problem is that their limitations keep them from succeeding at some point. He was as decent DC in various jobs, not supremely gifted at what he did so it makes me wonder why guys like him get selected for a head coaching job.

At his best he drafted defense over and over and built a decent but not great defense, good against the pass, never good against the run. From what I saw he knew very little on how to build an offense and kept promoting inexperienced people into positions where there is a steep learning curve, which made no sense in a win now league.

Look at the history of the last ten years of Bills head coaches after Wade Phillips, none of them had offensive head coaching experience and the result is ten years of "25th or worst" on offense.

So how can any of the posters here claim that any Bills QB has been properly developed since Jim Kelly?

Yea, this team needs an already developed QB to lead them until Chan Gailey can develop and teach the Bills QB's of the future.

Most good QB's at one time played behind a crappy O-line but it wasn't the reason they lost their starting position to a career back up. Most guys learn from it and make adjustments. Most guys get tougher from it "hike up the britches and get the job done". Most guys show the rest of the team dig deep fellas I'll pull us out of this. Then there is Trent standing next to the LONG SNAPPER all game- during the chiefs game. That is when I knew they all hate him and his career here as well as anywhere else was over.

Scary indeed. But stats don't tell the whole story. Look at the 2 Buffalo Bills records Ryan set his year. Longest TD play from scrimmage (98 yards) and longest run for TD by QB (something like 31 yards). These were both plays that Ryan saw an opportunity and didn't brain freeze and went for it. And he had a great game in a blizzard. Do you honestly see Trent doing any of this? Ryan's not as good of a passer, but he's way football smarter and gutsier. Gives him the nod in my book.

Now hopefully we get a better vet in here between now and July who can be the started. But if it's between the 3 we got now, it's Fitz.

I'll give him the 98 yard pass and he was smart enough to run for his life, but I also saw him throw more or less directly into the ground, wide left, wide R (I can't say it). If he's our choice, I would honestly rather try Brohm or the hot new rookie. Fitz just doesn't have the tools. I hear what you're saying, but 55% completion rate?? I think that's his top end.

Fitz has 23 NFL starts and Edwards has 30 NFL starts. Plenty of time to see what they have to offer. I think both of these players are backups at best. Can anyone here really see either one of these guys playing consistent enough to make the playoffs? IMO, it could never happen.

Bills fans can find any excuse they want but all of our QBs are junk. No QB on the roster has ever shown great promise at the NFL level. Watch talented young QBs playing on other NFL teams and you will see what I'm talking about. We get all giddy when a guy shows up and stinks a little bit less than the last. Losman, TE, Fitz, Collins, Johnson, and Holcomb are all the same person.

Fitz has 23 NFL starts and Edwards has 30 NFL starts. Plenty of time to see what they have to offer. I think both of these players are backups at best. Can anyone here really see either one of these guys playing consistent enough to make the playoffs? IMO, it could never happen.

Bills fans can find any excuse they want but all of our QBs are junk. No QB on the roster has ever shown great promise at the NFL level. Watch talented young QBs playing on other NFL teams and you will see what I'm talking about. We get all giddy when a guy shows up and stinks a little bit less than the last. Losman, TE, Fitz, Collins, Johnson, and Holcomb are all the same person.

My point was Fitz has more BAD starts in his 23 than TE in his 30. I mean..he was awful in Cincy...You may be right on the end evaluation. This year will tell on TE.

He showed more promise than any prospect (or suspect) we've had in years, now it feels like going out on a limb to say he should get a shot at the job. I think the odds are way in favor of him being our opening day starter over anyone else in the poll.

combo of concussion plus other limitations such as arm and guts. hard to separate out the checkdown thing from the effects of the concussion. we will never really know.

+1. Come on guys, I can't believe these discussions are going on. You don't look at stats, you look at wins. Fitz is clearly the better player. He makes bigger, game-winning plays. AND - he played well in the snow. Something Trent has NEVER done. Doesn't matter that we were not playing the real Colts, he was out there throwing the ball well in the snow and didn't look like he wanted run into the locker room and get under his blanky.

And to answer the OP's question (what ever happened to Trent) - he was sacked by the Arizona Cardinals and never was the same. Unfortunate for him but he showed us all a lot by not being able to come back from that. Every NFL QB takes a hit like that at some point and most come back from it.

+1. Come on guys, I can't believe these discussions are going on. You don't look at stats, you look at wins. Fitz is clearly the better player. He makes bigger, game-winning plays. AND - he played well in the snow. Something Trent has NEVER done. Doesn't matter that we were not playing the real Colts, he was out there throwing the ball well in the snow and didn't look like he wanted run into the locker room and get under his blanky.

And to answer the OP's question (what ever happened to Trent) - he was sacked by the Arizona Cardinals and never was the same. Unfortunate for him but he showed us all a lot by not being able to come back from that. Every NFL QB takes a hit like that at some point and most come back from it.

As Adam Schein would say, "If Ryan Fitzpatrick is the answer, I'd sure like to know the question".

It depends on how you look at the stats.

I've tried to go over this in the past in an old thread, but here we go again: Ryan played 2 WHOLE GAMES against the best pass defense in the league, and those two games killed his numbers. Trent played 2 series against the Jets, completed 5 of 5, remarkably (or typically) for only 1 first down. Ryan came off the bench twice and got significant playing time after NOT getting 1st team reps during the week; Trent, in the same situation, threw about 3 passes (and then got hurt). This sounds like excuses....yeah, for Fitz' stats. I take the trouble to do this because remarkably, Fitz is treated like a dog's dingleberry here after winning most of his games, while Trent could only beat the mighty Bucs and still has a thriving fan club.

One more thing for the people that like stats: check out the splits for these two guys on ESPN.com. You'll see that Fitz and Trent are almost statistically equal on passes under 10 yards. Isn't that supposed to be what Trent is so wonderful at? The LONGER passes are why Ryan's stats lag; he attempted a massively higher percentage of them, trying to jumpstart a dead team. There is no denying that Fitz had some ugly throws this year; the game in Toronto was so hideous it was hard to not claw my own eyes out. But he still put 10 more points on the board in that game than Edwards did against the effing Browns. Edwards seems like a nice kid; I will not attack his character or read a lot into offhand remarks. But I have watched him enough to think he needs to go somewhere else.

Get a freaking grip willyas...look who was developing the Bills QB's since Ted Marchibroda taught Jim Kelly to call his own plays. Blaming the QB's for poor play when you have a team of morons leading them is kinda pointless.

JP started out pretty decently under Mularkey as HC and Sam Wyche as QB coach,then Steve Fairchild who at least had some past experience as an OC. That gave way to two years of useless Turk "shotgun" Schonert (where is he now? ) and then AVP.

I honestly don't get how an owner of a near billion dollar franchise can let a staff of buffoons run his team for so many years. Well I suppose it is because they came cheap, You know, you really do get what you pay for :beer:

I agree with you. I don't expect Trent, or any other QB in the league, to audible like Manning does, or perform at that level. What I'm saying is .. Trent NEVER called audibles. He never changed any plays. And he never improvised. The offense had weapons. Receivers got open. Trent's first option was always the running back. He never looked downfield. Other, average, QBs make those plays happen at least a few times/game. Trent consistently never made those plays. I don't expect Buffalo to have a QB as good as Manning under center anytime in the near future. But what I do expect is someone a little better than Ryan Leaf. And Trent isn't a heck of a lot better. It's beyond the line and the coaching. It's him. He had a lot of time to prove otherwise.

Sorry, I don't have the time to try and dig up the article but before this season it basically said the coaches would allow Trent to audible this year in certain situations and that neither he nor JP had been allowed to in the past.

Myself, I wonder if part of all this is because Trent has trouble working with most of his receivers. Lee Evans seems like a generally classy guy so I wonder if all his animosity towards Trent is because Trent doesn't try to gain a comfort level and anticipate the opportunities his downfield receivers create.

When I saw Trent play in preseason he checked his downfield guys but wouldn't throw unless they were very open but also didn't seem to trust Lee on the timing patterns and to let them develop. So he quickly took the checkdown. I agree with others that Trent is probably done in the NFL unless a change of scenery turns it around.

Going into next year with all new coaches this offense will continue to be ugly for a while. Personnally, I'm ok with Fitzpatrick being the tackling dummy while the offense tries to find itself. He's smart so despite his limited talent he should be able to really help the offense pull together and execute properly. Draft a franchise rookie but don't put him in unless you can protect him.

TE was coached to FAIL, bottom line. Jauron believes in a safe offense that limits turnovers and keeps games close. TE did exactly as he was coached to do. On top of that, he was given a shoddy offensive line and a mess of a coaching staff. He was never really given the opportunity to get comfortable in an offense. It showed in his inability to make decisive reads downfield. He would realize a receiver was open a second too late, rather than having the anticipation and confidence you need to have in the NFL to throw into tight windows. As a result he turned into "Captain Checkdown"...fans hated it, but this is what Jauron and company were coaching him to do.

Give TE a real offensive scheme, time to truly grasp it, and an offensive line that can give him a reasonable pocket to throw from, and I think you'll see a competent QB.

Having said that, I think you could give TE all of the above and I still question if he has the arm strength to play in Buffalo. I think TE might be the kind of QB that needs to play in the sunbelt or a dome. His arm strength is not all that different from Peyton Manning's, but we've seen how peyton struggles when playing in bad weather. You need to have a Brady or a Big Ben kind of arm to have any kind of a passing game in brutal Buffalo winds. TE doesn't have that.

...but I betcha if he played in, say, Jacksonville, Tampa, Charlotte, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta, etc, he'd make us regret letting him go.

Well i dont think youll have to worry about that cause Billachek will probably pick him up if hes released

I don't think Edwards has a real passion for the game of football, and if he ever did it has probably knocked out of him from his time spent at Stanford and Buffalo.

I think he's happiest on a golf course somewhere in 80 degree weather. It would be nice if he rededicated himself and spent this entire off season training like a mad man to prove all the doubters wrong. I somehow don't get the feeling that this is what he's doing.

How do you know how much he trains in the offseason? He came to camp in great shape? TO lives in Miami correct? Did that effect his passion for the game? TRent was present for the conditioning work in Buffalo and the mini-camps. Work ethic is not an issue.

As Adam Schein would say, "If Ryan Fitzpatrick is the answer, I'd sure like to know the question".

I didn't say he was the answer, just the best QB right now on the roster. I'd like to see McNabb or Thigpen brought in, but if not, Fitz and Brohm should compete for the job. Those calling for Trent I just don't understand.

Guest dog14787
Get a freaking grip willyas...look who was developing the Bills QB's since Ted Marchibroda taught Jim Kelly to call his own plays. Blaming the QB's for poor play when you have a team of morons leading them is kinda pointless.

JP started out pretty decently under Mularkey as HC and Sam Wyche as QB coach,then Steve Fairchild who at least had some past experience as an OC. That gave way to two years of useless Turk "shotgun" Schonert (where is he now? ) and then AVP.

I honestly don't get how an owner of a near billion dollar franchise can let a staff of buffoons run his team for so many years. Well I suppose it is because they came cheap, You know, you really do get what you pay for :beer:

Sub Par Coaching , no GM, worst O-line in the NFL and to top it all of lets ask Mary to run the no huddle so we really screw with the all of the Rookies and everyone wonders why TE got off to such a rough start.

Comparing Fitz and TE is pointless, TE's the one that started out with a mess on his hands before the season ever started then to top it all off Trent Edwards suffers two concussions in twelve months.

Anybody that thinks our QB's over the last few years have been given a good chance to get coached up, develop properly and succeed in the NFL needs their collective heads examined in my opinion.