Wicked

Chef Jim

Saw Wicked last night and came to the conclusion that I do not like Broadway musicals. The sets were really, really cool, the costumes were great but the singing..... :( The plot (if you could call it that) :beer::beer: But I put this all on me, it's just not my cup of tea. Kind of like XTC. :D I'd rather go see a small community play and the local playhouse or even the opera.

Now here's the cool thing. My wife felt the same way. Whoohoo!! I'll never have to worry about her dragging me to some awful Broadway show. God I love that woman.

Not sure I could sit through that either, man. I tell you what, though, if you want to be absolutely blown away, go see the Broadway version of The Lion King if you ever get the chance. I took my ex to see it when it was in ATL back in 2003 and I was completely shocked at how good it was. The vocals were amazing, the music was fantastic, and the visuals had us talking for days.

Not sure I could sit through that either, man. I tell you what, though, if you want to be absolutely blown away, go see the Broadway version of The Lion King if you ever get the chance. I took my ex to see it when it was in ATL back in 2003 and I was completely shocked at how good it was. The vocals were amazing, the music was fantastic, and the visuals had us talking for days.

Thanks for the tip but I think I found out last night that Broadway musicals and Chef Jim don't mix. The Lion King may be the exception for me but I'd hate to waste the money and more importantly the time to find out I don't like it. I'd rather go to a concert.

i used to really love the theater, but i am finding that all the acting is completely over the top...everyone is wide eyed and just completely overacting, and so many of the actors are just too effeminite(sp) in their actions....that may not sound very pc...but its just something that i cannot get past....

Was dragged kicking and screaming to the original 'Chorus Line' on Broadway in the 70's. Vowed to hate it and was mesmerized - the music was booming and the dancing athletic as hell (singing wasn't bad either). Saw the revival a few years ago at the Curran on Geary and wasn't wowed.

Since then I've opted out of my wife's merry excursions with girls and gays to Wicked, South Pacific, and Cabaret. Just not my scene.

i used to really love the theater, but i am finding that all the acting is completely over the top...everyone is wide eyed and just completely overacting, and so many of the actors are just too effeminite(sp) in their actions....that may not sound very pc...but its just something that i cannot get past....

Pooj, that was VERY PC. I would have said "they're all running around like a bunch of flaming faggots."

Thanks for the tip but I think I found out last night that Broadway musicals and Chef Jim don't mix. The Lion King may be the exception for me but I'd hate to waste the money and more importantly the time to find out I don't like it. I'd rather go to a concert.

Fair enough...can't say I wouldn't want to hit a concert too...here's some clips on youtube I found in case you want to take a look....it's nothing like the movie:

"Shadowlands" (original song)

Saw Wicked last night and came to the conclusion that I do not like Broadway musicals. The sets were really, really cool, the costumes were great but the singing..... :unsure: The plot (if you could call it that) :D:w00t: But I put this all on me, it's just not my cup of tea. Kind of like XTC. :w00t: I'd rather go see a small community play and the local playhouse or even the opera.

Now here's the cool thing. My wife felt the same way. Whoohoo!! I'll never have to worry about her dragging me to some awful Broadway show. God I love that woman.

My wife and I felt the same way about Wicked.Did not really care for it too much. I did though love The Phantom of the Opera. I saw it 2 or 3 times. Would see it again if/when it comes back to Rochester. I have never been much of a concert person. You very rarely get a performance from a singer that actually sounds like the CD. They kind of come off sounding Bob Dylanish in my opinion.

Thanks for the tip but I think I found out last night that Broadway musicals and Chef Jim don't mix.

I'd recommend you make an exception for Spamalot -- assuming you like Monty Python (especially Holy Grail). It was hilarious. :unsure:

i am the opposite....i love to hear the variations they do live....think of clapton's layla that he did on unplugged, or counting crows when they do mr. jones live....i don't want to hear the perfect sound, the exact copying of the song live...that is my one big complaint of steely dan, they are so technically sound musicians that they do, for the most part, replicate the cd sound in the live setting....but to each is own

I have never been much of a concert person. You very rarely get a performance from a singer that actually sounds like the CD.

My wife and I felt the same way about Wicked.Did not really care for it too much. I did though love The Phantom of the Opera. I saw it 2 or 3 times. Would see it again if/when it comes back to Rochester. I have never been much of a concert person. You very rarely get a performance from a singer that actually sounds like the CD. They kind of come off sounding Bob Dylanish in my opinion.

My wife and I saw Phantom in SF and Toronto. We enjoyed both shows. Last year we saw A Tale of Two Cities on Broadway it was not good. IMO Broadway is way to commercial and caters to tourists.

. I have never been much of a concert person. You very rarely get a performance from a singer that actually sounds like the CD.

I've solved that problem. I mostly only buy/download live performances. Here's a great site to find live shows.

Internet Archive

I'm a big fan of jam bands and I love when they can take several four minute studio songs and string them together into an hour and a half of nonstop music.

Saw Wicked last night and came to the conclusion that I do not like Broadway musicals. The sets were really, really cool, the costumes were great but the singing..... :( The plot (if you could call it that) ;):lol: But I put this all on me, it's just not my cup of tea. Kind of like XTC. :D I'd rather go see a small community play and the local playhouse or even the opera.

The singing might not have been good but were the bass lines imaginiative?

The singing might not have been good but were the bass lines imaginiative?

Ha freakin HA, I wish once just once, crayonz that you would listen to Psonic Psunspot, and then get back to me about basslines... :(

i am the opposite....i love to hear the variations they do live....think of clapton's layla that he did on unplugged, or counting crows when they do mr. jones live....i don't want to hear the perfect sound, the exact copying of the song live...that is my one big complaint of steely dan, they are so technically sound musicians that they do, for the most part, replicate the cd sound in the live setting....but to each is own

I completely understand what your sayin. I have never been much of a music person. I like songs more than I do singers or bands. My youngest son on the other hand, is the complete opposite. BTW, I loved the unplugged Clapton's Layla. The only concert i went to where the performer sounded like there CD was Alan Jackson(my wife loved him) and Kansas. They both sounded fantastic!

I've solved that problem. I mostly only buy/download live performances. Here's a great site to find live shows.

Internet Archive

I'm a big fan of jam bands and I love when they can take several four minute studio songs and string them together into an hour and a half of nonstop music.

I dig what your sayin.(lol!) I personally never got into live bands too much. i can't tell you who's who in ANY band. LOL!

Wow- tough crowd

my wife and i saw Spamalot & Wicked and loved them both

took the kids to the Lion King and they liked it so much we drove 2 hours to Milwaukee to see it again a year later. we'll see it a 3rd time in Madison in the spring.

We both agree that 'Phantom' and 'Cats' are for theatre snobs- don't go if you can avoid it

saw 'Rent' several years ago and never really figured out what was going on- i think it was about an AIDS victim