One glaring need that everyone is overlooking

Stussy109

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

W got Steve Johnson we dont need another wr and I am not being sarcastic.

I like him as well, but fact he is a 7th round that made 20 receptions as a rookie and none last year. I'd prefer something a little more reliable. At least a vet fpr competition.

Ok, I'm gonna stick up for Stallworth here because the comparisons to Vick, and the rest are just ridiculous. First off Stallworth never lied to the Commissioner's or anyone elses face regarding the accident. He called the police and ambulance for the guy and stayed there until the authorities arrived. Also, while he was drunk, Mr. Reyes (victim) was illegally crossing a major causeway that was poorly lit. Unlike guys like Lynch, Jones, and Vick Stallworth didn't run, didn't lie, and didn't try to cop out. He plead guilty to his crime, gave up his driver's license for life in Florida, and served his time. He has no other history of run ins with the law or anything like that so to lump him in with the thug moniker is wrong in my opinion.

Now, that said, let me tell you why I don't want him in Buffalo. One, he has a history of hamstring problems and he rarely plays all 16 games in a season and his stats are quite underwhelming. Two, he is still under contract with the cleveland browns after signing a 7 year deal prior to the 2009 season meaning we would have to trade for him because I doubt the Browns are going to release him and pay him all that cash while getting nothing in return.

It has already been specualted the Browns will release him Monday

You're a virgin, eh? Gil Brandt has been saying it for the past 50 years or so.

Of course, you do have to find guys that can play the position, but you can find them all over the map.

Andre Reed, 4th round. Wes Welker, undrafted. Steve Largent, 4th round. John Stallworth, 4th round. Steve Smith, 3rd round. Drew Pearson, free agent. Ray Berry, 20th round. Bob Hayes, 7th round. Terrell Owens, 3rd round. Miles Austin, free agent.

Those are Hall-of-Famers and other damn good players (Austin is a 1 year wonder at this point, but he eclipsed a 1st round pick on the field and capably replaced the production of Owens). Obviously, there are the Jerry Rice and Tim Brown 1st round success stories, but being an elite WR isn't highly correlated to draft position. See Darius Hayward-Bey.

BTW, with the shift in focus from the running game to the passing game, one could argue that RB is becoming the new commodity position and that WR is becoming much more in demand. (I wouldn't necessarily disagree even.) The deal with WR though is that there is a wide-range of body types and athletes that can be highly successful at the position. There have been slow guys, quick guys, world-class sprinters, big guys, tiny guys, smart guys, some "not-so-bright" guys, ... a lot has to do with the player's internal make-up and drive to succeed as well as the team as a whole.

I think his point was that WR's are hard to draft. There are many successes like you pointed out in late rounds - which means 32 teams missed on those players round after round. RB is an easier position to succeed early in the NFL. There are only a handful of WR's that have any meaningful contribution their first year in the league.

Why do people keep saying Shipley in the 4th?? Do you honestly think he'll be there in the 4th??

No way he's there. With all that has been said, I am rooting for safe picks this year in the draft, guys who can contribute right away in positions that historically have short learning curves like OL, LB, DL, and fill the other spots that drafts produce a high rate of busts via FA (QB and WR)...Given our switch to 3-4 it is logical to assume most of the draft will be used to fill the new defense. I see it going like this OT LB DL.

If everything goes well in this year's draft, we draft a WR in 2011. There's too many question marks at WR's on the team... Hardy, Johnson and Parrish. We don't know the potential of any of these players yet. I personally don't want to add to that cluster this season.

Donte Stallworth anyone?

Did you miss the Saints win the SB by winning in the trenches and have steller QB play? Colston is pretty good, but other than him they lack talent at the position, but look much better than they are because of Brees. The most important recieve in the Colts attack is hands down Dallas Clark. WR may be the least important position in football when you think of them as one unit.

I think his point was that WR's are hard to draft. There are many successes like you pointed out in late rounds - which means 32 teams missed on those players round after round. RB is an easier position to succeed early in the NFL. There are only a handful of WR's that have any meaningful contribution their first year in the league.

First point: sure, a lot of WRs that are drafted don't do much. They are often drafted for some combine measurement, for example. Hayward-Bey was fast. Hardy was tall. When you look at the players that have played the position at an elite level, you find a wide range of players. Many do not have world class speed, etc. Most players aren't highly successful period.

Second point: it takes a team. WR is a position where you can be doing everything right all day long and never touch the football. If you're on a team with a bad QB, bad line, and a pound-on-the-ground coach, you're just not going to be a superstar. That's the way it goes. Conversely, you may be on a team that is airing it out every down in college and post some good looking numbers despite not really being a complete player and weak habits.

Third point: Timeframe is a new, different point. It takes time and reps to develop a passing game, even with veterans. By the same token, you don't find a lot of rookie QBs that come in day 1 and light it up in the passing game. Even Peyton Manning and Dan Marino took a bit of time to get rolling, and they are the exceptions.

Agreed WR is not a need

What are you guys smoking? To update you, TO and Josh Reed are free agents and are gone. That leaves us Lee Evens, Roscoe, Hardy and Johnson. The last three barely saw the field last season. What happens if Evans gets hurt? How do they not stack two DB on Evans and take him out of the game.

You can't ignore WR. You draft the best available, regardless of position at this point bc the Bills need EVERYTHING. Last time I checked all the draft experts are saying QB and OT are the weaker positions in the draft - if that's the case don't reach for them at #9. The draft is loaded at DT, LB, WR, DB - get those. This is a 3 year re-building at least.

Other receivers on the current roster:

Roscoe Parrish - hey, we're paying him can he really turn out to be a decent addition in the slot

Felton Huggins - played at Louisiana, a pretty pass-happy place. 6'2" 185lbs has decent size. Ok in pre-season

CJ Hawthorne - dunno 5'9" 165lbs other than this I have no clue

Justin Jenkins - played hard on special teams 6' 207 good size for the middle

I say later round draft for wr as other needs are more critical. Huggins and Hawthorne were drafted last year, just didn't see the field 0 catches

Wrong.

This year alone:

Collie, Harvin, Maclin, Nicks, Knox, even Crabtree all had more catches than Evans.

If he were that good than he would have steeped on the field a couple of times the last 2 seasons

Ummmm he was a rookie with that awsome guy throwing him the ball TE. Not to mention a future HOF coach in Juroun.

He was hurt this year....

Agreed...I would love to see Jordan Shipley on this team. He's a possession receiver with big game experience, and he's tough as hell. Seems like he would fit well in Buffalo. If he's still on the board in rounds 3 or 4, and he likely will be, I think Nix and the boys should strongly consider him.

Shipley looks like a 2nd rounder.