I Am Going To Ease Off of Mike Williams

Bill from NYC

I focus on OL play as much as I can in each and every game I watch on TV, as well as those I attend. Anybody who has bothered to read my posts knows that I have been WAY less than thrilled by MW. Please understand, much of my displeasure has been due to his draft slot and contract/cap hit.

I am NOT glad that TD drafted a RT at #4. This has not changed. I am willing to say that the kid:

a) Played next to garbage for 2 seasons.

B) Was SEVERELY hampered by Travis Henry missing simple assignments.

c) Did not have the luxury until this season of a good OL coach.

I loved his game vs. the Rams. The only pressure from his side was not his fault. It was (what a surprise) Henry whiffing on a block and getting Bledsoe creamed, although he DID get the pass off.

A great RT CAN be worth the big bucks. It is somewhat rare, but can happen. Erik Williams comes to mind as a guy who, when he was normal, was worth a virtual blank check. He was THAT good. Can MW reach this height? Probably not, but I am pulling for him.

I always liked the kid, but I was concerned that he was a headcase. If he continues to play well, it will make a HUGE difference to the team. We cannot afford the cap hit of an average RT making almost Pace money.

In summary, the development of Big Mike will be as important as any other issue facing the Bills in the next season or 2, and I hope he comes around.

I also have done some rethinking about MW. The thing which got me down ion him was the unprofessional manner with which he dealt with a death of someone close to him this past spring. It was certainly understandable that this hit him hard. However, life simply isn't fair. While it may not be reasonable for anyone to say simply say suck it up to someone who is facing such a tragedy, it is reasonable for folks to expect someone who is compensated an enormous amount to represent a region and be a good teammate to not let down folks who he has entered a compact with to depend upon each other.

However, my initial fears that his training camp injury after he was told in no uncertain terms by his employers and his teaamates to step up and show some professionalism was more malingering, in fact seemed to come from him working to hard to try to lose some weight and rebound.

MW seemed to be trying hard in early games and I actually took note when he drew an undisciplined false start penalty that cost us a shot at a TD in a 2nd and goal situation that it wa actually his first and only penalty this season.

He has had some trouble with the game his first two years, howver, I think his agility is often falsely attacked on TSW. His problem has not been dealing with speed rushers around the end, his problem has been making the correct reads and picking up stunts. Whe he has been beaten his befuddled look has come not from having the agility to take on the rusher, but because a read was missed and he didn't block anyone.

As best as I can tell the concern being expressed about his agility comes from a demographic assessment because he is a big boy rather than many specific examples being pointed to of him being beaten physically.

If we lose Jennings there has been some talk of him moving to LT. My sense is that I think the Bills will do better with other options which we have so I do not expect this to happen. However, if JMac wants to try it is a much better bet because I think MWs difficulties have come not from his size or athleticism but from his head as he has never received pro coaching until this year and he did not respond well to life this summer.

It will be a problem to lose Jennings but he looks like he is gone come FA and I think his injury issues are such we should not pay through the nose for him and a good FA LT will cost too much. However between:

1. MW potentially though not likely making the move,

2. Teague is improving as a center but actually attracted out attention due to his LT play with Denver.

3. There are internal development possibilities as Tucker has played tackle before as a Pro. the braintrust sees something in McFarland and because the Bills seem high on Peters as a tackle (a surprise since blocking ability was the issue that ended up putting him on the PS.

4. I like Price giving us great flexibility by backing up both positions but maybe he can step up as well.

At any rate, keep Jennings if the price is right but it probably won't be and even if he foes I feel pretty good about out tackle prospects.

Although he has plenty of room for improvement, I'm happy that Mike seems to be finally coming along. I agree his draft slot and salary were/are too high but our line stunk for so long at the time I think everyone was happy we went Oline. Here's to our drafting a lineman high and hoping the same with our top pick this upcoming draft as well. Mmmmmmmmmm beer............

As best as I can tell the concern being expressed about his agility comes from a demographic assessment because he is a big boy rather than many specific examples being pointed to of him being beaten physically.

131305[/snapback]

Can someone please explain to me what this means? What is a "demographic assessment"?

I'm trying hard to understand, I really am.

Can someone please explain to me what this means?  What is a "demographic assessment"?

I'm trying hard to understand, I really am.

131326[/snapback]

Yep, that's definitely what this forum needs - somebody to suggest to FFS that he should expand his posts with term definitions. :blink:

I would actually try to help provide an answer, but I have yet to wade too deeply into one of his posts - I'm afraid of drowning in his stream of consciousness

:):P

He has actually played well this season overall. OL we tend to think of as almighty make their fair share of mistakes. Orlando Pace certainly was/is not a shut down tackle--at least against the Bills or the Pats which are the games I've seen him play. If you go and watch other teams you will tend to elevate their play beyond your teams' player (Mckinnie over MW etc...). But you would have been yelling at Ogden for letting Schobel whip him if you were a Baltimore fan. So it is all relative. Remember the OL is blocking 60 plays a game. MW may play 59 well but whiff on one block that causes a sack of Drew and then everyone says he sucks. Well if he won 59 of his battles that's a pretty darn good game.

As you know already Bill, I have always supported Big Mike's play as a Bill. I've had the advantage of seeing him probably 12 different times at training camp and have seen the potential. Now that he has a real coach, he can reach that potential.

As you know already Bill, I have always supported Big Mike's play as a Bill. I've had the advantage of seeing him probably 12 different times at training camp and have seen the potential. Now that he has a real coach, he can reach that potential.

131381[/snapback]

As much as I respect the fact of how many times you saw him, I hasten to add that I have rarely been impressed by his play nor attitude. Tell me, are you happy with his cap hit and production as a #4?

At this point, I do see some improvement. I also strongly add that imo, Travis Henry cost him a ton in terms of pass protection. That man, a virtual idiot, has missed block after block, and done just about everything a running back can do to stifle an offense.

Lori, are you there? :blink: How many sacks were given up in the games in which Henry started as opposed to games in which Willis started?

Anyway, let's see how he does on sunday. I hope he kicks ass!

I too hope he does well this week. Seattle's D never impressed me and now Anthony Simmons, probably their best LB, is out for the year. But you know, those Bills on the road............................This would be a great time to change that!

I focus on OL play as much as I can in each and every game I watch on TV, as well as those I attend. Anybody who has bothered to read my posts knows that I have been WAY less than thrilled by MW. Please understand, much of my displeasure has been due to his draft slot and contract/cap hit.

I am NOT glad that TD drafted a RT at #4. This has not changed. I am willing to say that the kid:

a) Played next to garbage for 2 seasons.

B) Was SEVERELY hampered by Travis Henry missing simple assignments.

c) Did not have the luxury until this  season of a good  OL coach.

I loved his game vs. the Rams. The only pressure from his side was not his fault. It was (what a surprise) Henry whiffing on a block and getting Bledsoe creamed, although he DID get the pass off.

A great RT CAN be worth the big bucks. It is somewhat rare, but can happen. Erik Williams comes to mind as a guy who, when he was normal, was worth a virtual blank check. He was THAT good. Can MW reach this height? Probably not, but I am pulling for him.

I always liked the kid, but I was concerned that he was a headcase. If he continues to play well, it will make a HUGE difference to the team. We cannot afford the cap hit of an average RT making almost Pace money.

In summary, the development of Big Mike will be as important as any other issue facing the Bills in the next season or 2, and I hope he comes around.

131250[/snapback]

I'll bet he's sleeping better already. JMac too. :blink:

Yep, that's definitely what this forum needs - somebody to suggest to FFS that he should expand his posts with term definitions.  :blink:

I would actually try to help provide an answer, but I have yet to wade too deeply into one of his posts - I'm afraid of drowning in his stream of consciousness

:)  :P

131335[/snapback]

I fell asleep once while reading one of FFS's posts. Once.

As much as I respect the fact of how many times you saw him, I hasten to add that I have rarely been impressed by his play nor attitude. Tell me, are you happy with his cap hit and production as a #4?

At this point, I do see some improvement. I also strongly add that imo, Travis Henry cost him a ton in terms of pass protection. That man, a virtual idiot, has missed block after block, and done just about everything a running back can do to stifle an offense. 

Lori, are you there?  :D  How many sacks were given up in the games in which Henry started as opposed to games in which Willis started?

Anyway, let's see how he does on sunday. I hope he kicks ass!

131392[/snapback]

Well that's just it Bill. When you focus on a player at training camp you get to see what YOU want to see, not the television camera that follows the ball around. There is no comparison between the two perspectives and the information you can gather from them. You get to watch the entire play. You get to see the instruction that goes on in some cases right after the play. You get to see the reaction of the player lining up against him. You get to see the guys work ethic. Most of all you get a real good sense of a guys pure talent level. It's right there for you, and it either stands out or it doesn't. And as an added perspective, when you've been going to training camps for 23 years you have a lot to compare it to both good and bad. You've seen the Ballards, Wolfords, Fina's, Loucheys (gulp), McKenzies, etc.... Unfortunately Big Mike has only begun this season to really show major growth like one would expect of his draft stature, so many are correct in their general concern. But it was this perspective that allowed a true look at the mans talent, and work ethic (family incident not withstanding) to the point where you could feel comfortable that he will become a good one. Take it for what it's worth to you.

as i said in another thread, mwilliams took unfair lumps, sometimes even from me, the past two years. you have to remember that he was introduced to the league under coaches who had never coached an NFL line before. They were GW buddies. They hindered his development, particularly in the mental aspects of the game.

this is all changing and we're seeing it unfold before our eyes. mcnally's effects would take a while...we knew that coming into the season...but we're seeing them now. THe pass blocking has been SO MUCH FUGGIN BETTER, it's unreal. Teams aren't blitzing us constantly anymore. They're watching the tape and they see we're picking it up.