Which Former Bill Would You Most Want on the Team Now?

In the thread on best Bill ever I nominated OJ and Bruce. But when I think of who'd I'd most want now, I conclude neither.

Offense

Jim Kelly

After watching Kelly's 1st Game video that someone posted, I realized how important and how difficult is to find a top QB. Once you have that you can really focus on building out your offense. And until you do you end up wasting a lot of time and resources trying to. Now it's true that Frank Reich played well when subbing for Kelly, but it was Kelly's presence that allowed the offense to be properly built and organized in the first place. The other factor is that the game has become much more pass oriented since OJ's time, reducing the impact of an RB.

Defense

Ted Washington

As great as Bruce was (probably my favorite player), I think a dominating NT like Washington is more important than the best DE ever (imho.) By allowing you to effectively play a 3-4, it's like adding a 12th man on the field. That consistent push up the middle disrupts every play the offense runs ... you can't effectively flow the play away from the middle. And it can be argued Bellichek made the same observation in New England when having a top DE and NT on his team, he chose to keep the NT and let the DE go. There was a test of this when Ted and Bruce were on the team together, and I really think Ted was the more important of the two. And by all accounts that defense was better than the Super Bowl years.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And something else, We have fans clammoring for a LT, you get a damn good QB and he makes the OL better. Besides guys like Aikman took beatings till they got the line together and went on to have a HOF career.

GET A GOOD QB IN HERE!!!

The other thing is once you get a QB that you know is first rate, it allows you assess the other offensive talent properly. It was telling in the Kelly's 1st game video that they made a comment about the Bills' suspect Oline, when nearly that entire Oline became highly regarded later on.

But if there isn't a top QB to be had, I say don't reach either. Getting a false prophet can set a franchise back for several years.

Ted Washington. As great as Bruce was Mount Washington made every defense he ever played on that much better. Anchored Jauron's 13-3 season with the bears. Anchored the Patriots 04 superbowl team. Top Tier Bills defense of the late 90's till deemed too fat for Gregg Williams, go figure Sedric Ellis is pretty much a pile of goo, but ehh whatver.

Offensively Jim Kelly. There's no other logical answer. He was never my favorite player, but hes worlds better than what we've had since.

Ted Washington. As great as Bruce was Mount Washington made every defense he ever played on that much better. Anchored Jauron's 13-3 season with the bears. Anchored the Patriots 04 superbowl team. Top Tier Bills defense of the late 90's till deemed too fat for Gregg Williams, go figure Sedric Ellis is pretty much a pile of goo, but ehh whatver.

Offensively Jim Kelly. There's no other logical answer. He was never my favorite player, but hes worlds better than what we've had since.

is that right? that no good POS is the reason we lost Ted? what a freaking defensive genius LOL ... he was one blown call away from losing the NFC champ game at home last week too. that rotten turd.

anyway, i'd take Thurman -- a player that was a top back, receiver and blocker -- is more important than a qb. if you want to know why the offense ran well under reich too, look no further. parcells said he was the only bill that scared him in the super bowl. on defense ill go with bruuuuuce. gaurantted pressure on the qb every game is money

Tough call between my all-time fav Bruce Smith, or Jimbo.

Both could change a game by themselves.

But I would have to err on the side of Jimbo as a QB is too much of an integral part of a football TEAM to pass up.

Heck, aren't the last 15 years enough proof?

In the thread on best Bill ever I nominated OJ and Bruce. But when I think of who'd I'd most want now, I conclude neither.

Offense

Jim Kelly

After watching Kelly's 1st Game video that someone posted, I realized how important and how difficult is to find a top QB. Once you have that you can really focus on building out your offense. And until you do you end up wasting a lot of time and resources trying to. Now it's true that Frank Reich played well when subbing for Kelly, but it was Kelly's presence that allowed the offense to be properly built and organized in the first place. The other factor is that the game has become much more pass oriented since OJ's time, reducing the impact of an RB.

Defense

Ted Washington

As great as Bruce was (probably my favorite player), I think a dominating NT like Washington is more important than the best DE ever (imho.) By allowing you to effectively play a 3-4, it's like adding a 12th man on the field. That consistent push up the middle disrupts every play the offense runs ... you can't effectively flow the play away from the middle. And it can be argued Bellichek made the same observation in New England when having a top DE and NT on his team, he chose to keep the NT and let the DE go. There was a test of this when Ted and Bruce were on the team together, and I really think Ted was the more important of the two. And by all accounts that defense was better than the Super Bowl years.

good post. those 2 would put us on the fastest track to the SB.