Which Former Bill Would You Most Want on the Team Now?

Bruce Smith on D and Jim Kelly on O. Draft and free agency for the OT and DT positions which also need to be filled.

If I had to get the best to fit the major needs? Jason Peters on O and Pat Williams or Ted Washington or Fred Smerlas on D.

That being said I'd be crazy not to take the two hall of famers to fill two positions that are of secondary need. I think there is enough talent in the draft and free agency to get at the O-line and other D line problems.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy Joe Hobert and Eddie Robinson...

Seriously - unquestionably Kelly and Smith, they are the two biggest lynchpins in the teams history on either side of the ball. Other people to consider (but still can't compare)

Offense

- OJ Simpson

- Cookie Gilchrist

- Reggie McKenzie

- Kent Hull

Defense

- Ted Washington

- Pat Williams

- Nate Odomes

Billy Joe Hobert and Eddie Robinson...

Seriously - unquestionably Kelly and Smith, they are the two biggest lynchpins in the teams history on either side of the ball. Other people to consider (but still can't compare)

Offense

- OJ Simpson

- Cookie Gilchrist

- Reggie McKenzie

- Kent Hull

Defense

- Ted Washington

- Pat Williams

- Nate Odomes

Seriously, Nate Odomes. if you're going to say a CB at least say Robert James. he was a shutdown corner every bit as good as Deion, but he actually tackled as well. There has never been a Cb and possibly player on this team who was as good.

Seriously, Nate Odomes. if you're going to say a CB at least say Robert James. he was a shutdown corner every bit as good as Deion, but he actually tackled as well. There has never been a Cb and possibly player on this team who was as good.

Other than Henry Jones, I wouldn't bother with anyone else from the Super Bowl years secondary

It's really easy to say kelly, but I fear he'd really struggle behind this offensive line. Therefore I'll say Will Wilford. Rock of a left tackle.

On defense I don't think there's any choice but to take Bruce. As much as we could use a Bennett, Paup, or Spielman, Bruce is a game-changer.

Bruce, Andre and Leonard Smith; in that order

-------

And of course Jimbo, but that is a given.

Leonard Smith. Awesome hitter, guaranteed to punish recievers at every game. Unfortunately had difficulties identifying that broad white line as out of bounds marker so was good for at least 1 incredible hit - out of bounds and incurring 15 yd penalty at each and every game. Sure did make people flinch though. Of course, no one was safe, he'd carry the hit into the sideline crowd.

Nate Odomes was the best corner this team has had in the past 30 years. The problem is, he was never given the recognition he deserved. He was on a star-studded defense that was typically in a soft zone, allowing teams to throw. When the team went into man coverage, he basically shut down everyone he went up against.

Nate Odomes was the best corner this team has had in the past 30 years. The problem is, he was never given the recognition he deserved. He was on a star-studded defense that was typically in a soft zone, allowing teams to throw. When the team went into man coverage, he basically shut down everyone he went up against.

Disagree. Nate Odomes is overrated. He is good, but not great. I'd say he was about as good as Nate Clements. I like McGee, Jeff Burris, and Antoine Winfield more than him. I thought Burroughs was better than him until his neck injury.

First off, I don't agree. Second, it said which Bill ever. james was far and away the best CB ever on the Bills, probably our best ever player and possibly the best CB ever in the NFL.

Disagree. Nate Odomes is overrated. He is good, but not great. I'd say he was about as good as Nate Clements. I like McGee, Jeff Burris, and Antoine Winfield more than him. I thought Burroughs was better than him until his neck injury.

I'll agree that Burroughs was solid, but not better than Odomes. As for the rest of your list:

Clements and Winfield were both solid guys, especially against the run (where Odomes was lacking), both were decent coverage guys (not as good as Odomes) - each also were 1 time pro-bowlers.

McGee is average at best. He is a great return man and makes some flashy plays, but gets burned way to often.

Burris was all hype and never amounted to his 1st round status.

I'll agree that Burroughs was solid, but not better than Odomes. As for the rest of your list:

Clements and Winfield were both solid guys, especially against the run (where Odomes was lacking), both were decent coverage guys (not as good as Odomes) - each also were 1 time pro-bowlers.

McGee is average at best. He is a great return man and makes some flashy plays, but gets burned way to often.

Burris was all hype and never amounted to his 1st round status.

winfield is GREAT but has hands of stone. Clements is a greedy ball-hawk that sometimes gets burned. McGee, IMO, is underrated in general because he is paid well, but the truth is he is a borderline shut-down CB. Not elite, but not far from it. Burris was solid, but as you pointed out, never quite lived up to the hype. I still felt good with Burris and Thomas Smith at CB.

Kelly would look fine behind our offensive line. I wouldn't say you don't improve it, but we would have been a playoff team this year with Jimbo throwing the ball. Jim could move surprisingly well, and was able to take a hit.

My answers have to be Jim and Bruce, and I don' t see how it could have been anybody else.

I would consider Talley long and hard, just for his leadership. His play was awesome, but there is a reason that all of the HOF Bills from that era mentioned him in their HOF speeches.

On offense there is may great players, but Kelly is the only one I choose. Peyton credits Kelly for his ability to run the offense in Indy. That is some pretty high praise. Our K-Gun offense was amazing. What I wouldn't give to be that excited watching this team play again...

Kelly would look fine behind our offensive line. I wouldn't say you don't improve it, but we would have been a playoff team this year with Jimbo throwing the ball. Jim could move surprisingly well, and was able to take a hit.

My answers have to be Jim and Bruce, and I don' t see how it could have been anybody else.

I would consider Talley long and hard, just for his leadership. His play was awesome, but there is a reason that all of the HOF Bills from that era mentioned him in their HOF speeches.

On offense there is may great players, but Kelly is the only one I choose. Peyton credits Kelly for his ability to run the offense in Indy. That is some pretty high praise. Our K-Gun offense was amazing. What I wouldn't give to be that excited watching this team play again...

Hard to disagree with anything you said.

In the thread on best Bill ever I nominated OJ and Bruce. But when I think of who'd I'd most want now, I conclude neither.

Offense

Jim Kelly

After watching Kelly's 1st Game video that someone posted, I realized how important and how difficult is to find a top QB. Once you have that you can really focus on building out your offense. And until you do you end up wasting a lot of time and resources trying to. Now it's true that Frank Reich played well when subbing for Kelly, but it was Kelly's presence that allowed the offense to be properly built and organized in the first place. The other factor is that the game has become much more pass oriented since OJ's time, reducing the impact of an RB.

Defense

Ted Washington

As great as Bruce was (probably my favorite player), I think a dominating NT like Washington is more important than the best DE ever (imho.) By allowing you to effectively play a 3-4, it's like adding a 12th man on the field. That consistent push up the middle disrupts every play the offense runs ... you can't effectively flow the play away from the middle. And it can be argued Bellichek made the same observation in New England when having a top DE and NT on his team, he chose to keep the NT and let the DE go. There was a test of this when Ted and Bruce were on the team together, and I really think Ted was the more important of the two. And by all accounts that defense was better than the Super Bowl years.

Based on our current needs:

A) Retired Players:

OFFENSE

1) Jim Kelly

2) House Ballard

3) Andre Reed

4) James Lofton

5) Joe D.

DEFENSE

1) Bruce Smith

2) Ted Washington

3) Ben Williams (Sack Leader during the Knox years)

4) Biscuit Bennet

5) Darryl Talley

B) Ex Bills Still Playing

OFFENSE

1) Jason Peters

2) Nobody else good enough I can think of?

DEFENSE

1) Pat Williams

2) London Fletcher

3) Jabari Greer

4) Jim Leonard

5) Takeo Spikes

What would Kelly look like behind this offensive line?

he wouldve looked fine behind it. Aaron Rodgers had a great year and a playoff run behind an atrocious line. the Oline needs work but there were plenty of pays in every game where the QB had all the time he should have needed and just couldnt identify the open spot to throw the ball.

Really? You want a "(healthy)" Jerry Butler? Weird.

When Jerry Butler was healthy, he was a great player for the Bills. Unfortunately, he spent much of his time injured. Additionally, he had a positive impact on the community. He may not have been the best WR ever but he was one of my favorites!