per rotoworld (via ESPN)

BeastMode54

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with you on Troy Smith. Think he is ready to be a starter and has some great upside. Don't think they are same thing though. Yes Troy can run, but thing he is a QB first then a runner, where Vick is opposite. With Troy teams wouldn't have to have a spy like would with Vick, but think Troy would allot them to have a Pro type offense that teams have to respect the pass, unlike they would with Vick.

As far as the True fan thing goes, think when it becomes a choice between compromising your own morals and watching a team for entertainment, its a no brain-er. I have followed the team almost religiously for almost 40 years, but would take my money and time else where if they bring Vick on board. Not saying am giving up watching football, just that will find another team to root for and follow eventually.

My problem with Smith is that he couldn't crack the starting rotation before Flacco got there behind the likes of Kyle boller. Why would he be an upgrade?

QUOTE (bfw1234 @ Feb 1 2010, 01:20 PM) *

I can't stand the mobility b.s.

was Kelly mobile? Are the Mannings mobile? Kurt Warner? Brady? Marino? Rivers? etc!!

Vick = gimmick & fail

build a line & develop a play-action pass, PLEASE!

:blink::worthy::w00t:

How does Vince Young that took an 0 - 6 team and went 8 - 2 look as a BS mobile QB? As I said earlier in this thread mobility is an added bonus. If you have enough of it it actually changes the way a defense plays your offense. Vince Young is as dumb as a box of rocks but he wins games in a non traditional way. You old schoolers don't get that there is more than one way to skin a cat in todays nfl.

If I had my choice I would take a pocket QB that takes advantage of his mobility when appropriate not bases their whole game on it. That being said, I do understand that with the advent of the spread and wild cat formations in the pros there is more than one way to get it done.

My problem with Smith is that he couldn't crack the starting rotation before Flacco got there behind the likes of Kyle boller. Why would he be an upgrade?

He was drafted in 2007 his rookie year and was slated as the starter in 2008 one year later. How was this an inability to crack the starting lineup for a 5th round QB? In fact I think that qualifies as a meteoric rise up the depth chart. People forget that the only reason Flacco got the starting job was due to a freak rare form of tonsillitis that hit Troy Smith just before the start of the 2008 regular season. Took Smith too long to get healthy and gain back the 20lbs or so he lost. By then the Ravens had won a few games and they didn't want to upset the apple cart.

Hmmmm...Troy Smith.

Are there perhaps multiple Troy Smiths in the NFL? I remember one guy who won a Heisman and then got his d*ck handed to him by Florida in the BCS.

Then there was a guy who played for Baltimore---he threw 8 passes in the past two years and had a grand total of 2 starts before that.

Who is this other Troy Smith who is "ready to start" and why isn't he starting now?

Could happen, but he'd likely be asked to bring along Brohm as well as one of the throw-on-the-run QB's Jarrett Brown or Zac Robinson in Round 4. It wouldn't be the other throw-on-the-run guy Colt McCoy (we'd need line help and giving up a draft pick to get Vick, so no 1st round QB unless a trade down to gain a pick).

i dont hink we would have to give up anything. i think rather than paying the guy over 5 million to sit on the bench is ridiculous for Philly and i believe they will simply cut him!

if we did have to trade for him the compensation would be a very low draft pick IMO!

Hmmmm...Troy Smith.

Are there perhaps multiple Troy Smiths in the NFL? I remember one guy who won a Heisman and then got his d*ck handed to him by Florida in the BCS.

Then there was a guy who played for Baltimore---he threw 8 passes in the past two years and had a grand total of 2 starts before that.

Who is this other Troy Smith who is "ready to start" and why isn't he starting now?

Was named Ravens starter

got freak tonsillitis lost 20 lbs

Flacco a first round rookie HAD to start

Ravens won a few games

Didn't upset the apple cart

That sum it up for you?

All I can say is hope not. I don't think we should have to sell or soul to get a better QB. We could also improve our QB position by signing Kyle Orton or Charlie Batch or Duante Culpepper or Chad Pennington or trading for Todd Collins or Kerry Collins or Mark Brunell among others. Even having a real offensive mind running things should improve things with the QB position as is at least somewhat anyway.

All I can say is hope not. I don't think we should have to sell or soul to get a better QB. We could also improve our QB position by signing Kyle Orton or Charlie Batch or Duante Culpepper or Chad Pennington or trading for Todd Collins or Kerry Collins or Mark Brunell among others. Even having a real offensive mind running things should improve things with the QB position as is at least somewhat anyway.

ARRRGHHHHH!!! Kill me now! Well..at least Culpepper has an arm. lol

Losman's long ball is far more accurate. In the short game, it's pretty equal (bad) - though Vick did look a little bit better the few times I saw him throw in Philly. That's not saying much given his body of work.

Vick seemed to always be in a wildcat-like formation with the Eagles, so it was hard to tell if he was supposed to be running or if he was being Michael Vick and just caving to the pressure and taking off to make a prime-time highlight reel. I think there's more similarity between Vick and McNabb; neither of their long balls strike me as consistently accurate, and the only difference to me is on the short throws, where McNabb is more consistent...his incomplete throws always seem to be at the receivers' feet.

I did find your idea of Thigpen interesting. I don't have a real memory of his play (at KC) beyond him having to get in there at the end of the season when Miami lost Pennington and, ultimately, Henne. (I wouldn't have even noticed if, after he threw a TD, some guy in the room hadn't yelled "Damn, I didn't even know Yancy Thigpen was still playing. That was a nice throw.") Stats show Thigpen was sacked 26 times in 11 games for KC in 2008, so he should feel right at home in Buffalo.

Vick seemed to always be in a wildcat-like formation with the Eagles, so it was hard to tell if he was supposed to be running or if he was being Michael Vick and just caving to the pressure and taking off to make a prime-time highlight reel. I think there's more similarity between Vick and McNabb; neither of their long balls strike me as consistently accurate, and the only difference to me is on the short throws, where McNabb is more consistent...his incomplete throws always seem to be at the receivers' feet.

I did find your idea of Thigpen interesting. I don't have a real memory of his play (at KC) beyond him having to get in there at the end of the season when Miami lost Pennington and, ultimately, Henne. (I wouldn't have even noticed if, after he threw a TD, some guy in the room hadn't yelled "Damn, I didn't even know Yancy Thigpen was still playing. That was a nice throw.") Stats show Thigpen was sacked 26 times in 11 games for KC in 2008, so he should feel right at home in Buffalo.

I don't know man. McNabb looked pretty good throwing that deep ball to Deshaun Jackson. Man would McNabb to Evans be sweet.