What current Bills would've started for us in the early '90s?

nostyle126

Just curious for opinions. Here is mine. Moorman would've started over Tuten or any other punter we had during that stretch. Lindell would've started over Norwood but not Christie. Stroud would've started over Wright. I think McGee would've started over Odomes. Schobel would've started over Seals...and perhaps even Hansen. That's it. There are some borderline ones. Maybe Byrd would've gotten the nod over Kelso but I bet not, since the coaches loved having the brainy Kelso out on the field. Maybe Lee Evans would've started over Beebe in a 3-WR set.

Any others? Agree, disagree?

Wow, can you tell it's the offseason?

; )

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lindell was far better than Norwood, all across the board. Lindell is a career 80% kicker (83% in Buffalo), while Norwood was at 72%. Norwood was 2/10 past 50 yards, Lindell is over 50%. He's better going down in every range: 40-49, 30-39, 20-29, etc.

Even controlling for the era (kickers are better these days), Lindell has 4 seasons in the top 10 in accuracy, Norwood had 1 - in a smaller league.

All there may be is the 'clutch' factor, and that doesn't seem there - Lindell has hit 70 go ahead field goals, vs. 33. I don't have any stats that show which of those are in the 4th quarter/OT.

I disagree on Stroud. Wright was overrated and not a great NT in the 3-4. Our run defense actually got worse when they replaced Smerlas with Wright.

There's this notion that the Bills got run all over during that time. Then how did they make 4 straight Super Bowls? Now it's true the Giants and Cowboys ran on us in the Super Bowl. But the biggest missed tackle against the Giants was LB Talley on Magget. And Emmitt Smith holds the all time rushing record, so he pretty much ran over everyone.

Norwoods missed kick in SB 25, albeit a monumental one, clouds the memory of some of you, or, maybe you are not old enough to realize, Scott Norwood was an outstanding kicker for the Bills... Rian Lindell, on the other hand, is vastly overrated.

Lindell has been consistent, because he has rarely been asked to kick in pressure situations...and when he has, he hasn't been real impressive. Norwood, pre Super Bowl 25, and Christie were both better than Lindell... Rian was positively bad when he first came to Buffalo, but, because of his bloated contract, and the fact that the team pretty much sucked anyways, he was given far more time to work his way to a respectable level in Buffalo... other than SB 25, I can think of very few clutch kicks, regular season that Norwood missed... he had a rough season in 1991, no doubt the effect of the miss. Lindell has a number of chokes on his Buffalo resume... and worse, wasn't even asked to make attempts, because his coaches knew he couldn't perform.

So true.I think Lindell is vastly overated.Big tme choke kicker!He would have missed that kick in sb25 by a mile....

Do you think it isn't a free for all when the pocket breaks down? Are you retarded?

Do you also think the WR's don't have some say in what routes they run and are willing to run? Are you retarded?

What you think this is, a pick up game? Recievers don't call their own routes. And when was th elast time a Bills' quarterback was scrambling and looking downfield to throw? The Bills' pocket breaks down and the quareterback goes down.

If Evans was on the team, they never would have even picked Lofton up off of waivers.

There's this notion that the Bills got run all over during that time. Then how did they make 4 straight Super Bowls? Now it's true the Giants and Cowboys ran on us in the Super Bowl. But the biggest missed tackle against the Giants was LB Talley on Magget. And Emmitt Smith holds the all time rushing record, so he pretty much ran over everyone.

Think you mean Ingram.

Just curious for opinions. Here is mine. Moorman would've started over Tuten or any other punter we had during that stretch. Lindell would've started over Norwood but not Christie. Stroud would've started over Wright. I think McGee would've started over Odomes. Schobel would've started over Seals...and perhaps even Hansen. That's it. There are some borderline ones. Maybe Byrd would've gotten the nod over Kelso but I bet not, since the coaches loved having the brainy Kelso out on the field. Maybe Lee Evans would've started over Beebe in a 3-WR set.

Moorman is it, no one else

McGee DEFINITELY starts over Jackson, Williams, and Washington. I also think he would've started over Odomes.

Schobel is definitely borderline at best. BUT...what would Schobel be like if he had a Bruce Smith across from him and a Cornelius Bennett lined up next to him?

I can see Poz over Bailey, but Bentley? Maddox? Patton? I'd say Poz is a better athlete than all of 'em but a touch smaller, making him more prone to injuries.

Schobel might start in a 4-3 alignment, but I can't see it in the 3-4.

I really think that you are underestimating Odomes. He was a pro-bowl player and a lockdown corner for the Bills his last few years with the team. He didn't do well against Irvin the in Super Bowl XXVII, but did do well in XXVIII (even getting an int if I remember). McGee has more athletic ability that Odomes, but has not accomplished nearly as much.

I really think that you are underestimating Odomes. He was a pro-bowl player and a lockdown corner for the Bills his last few years with the team. He didn't do well against Irvin the in Super Bowl XXVII, but did do well in XXVIII (even getting an int if I remember). McGee has more athletic ability that Odomes, but has not accomplished nearly as much.

I think you underestimate McGee. McGee is a top notch CB who could be used as a shut-down corner if he weren't in a cover-2 defense that asks him to play a 10-yard cushion. That's not a knock on Odomes. That's a compliment for McGee. I think McGee would've been our #1 CB if he was on that '90s team.

And yes, Odomes had an interception in Superbowl 28 when Bruce got pressure on Aikman and forced a bad pass.

I know you said starters - but I would pick Kenneth Davis over Lynch as my backup RB

It's tough to start talking about backups. That '90s team had some good depth. Guys like Glenn Parker, Mitch Frerotte, Mike Lodish, Kenneth Davis, Frank Reich, etc. Solid depth back then.

It's tough to start talking about backups. That '90s team had some good depth. Guys like Glenn Parker, Mitch Frerotte, Mike Lodish, Kenneth Davis, Frank Reich, etc. Solid depth back then.

The one name I haven't seen mentioned is Tasker. Given a choice of Reed, Lofton, Beebe, would you take Evans over Tasker, given all that Tasker could do in other aspects of the game. Kelly always said that Tasker couldn't be covered when he played for the scout team, and particularly his last two years made some huge catches as the slot or 4th wideout in the Kgun.

The most obvious one is Moorman, best punter in Bills history. Others in my opinion, and there wouldn't be many who would start would be:

Lee Evans (would be a perennial Pro Bowler with Jim Kelly throwing and Kent Hull and Company blocking).

The Terrence McGee of 3 or 4 years ago could have been a better Kick Off returner than they had back then.

I guess the more that I think of it, I can't think of anymore that would even have a chance to start-guess it corresponds with the winning records of nowadays compared to the early 90's.

The one name I haven't seen mentioned is Tasker. Given a choice of Reed, Lofton, Beebe, would you take Evans over Tasker, given all that Tasker could do in other aspects of the game. Kelly always said that Tasker couldn't be covered when he played for the scout team, and particularly his last two years made some huge catches as the slot or 4th wideout in the Kgun.

We're comparing our current #1 receiver to the 3rd and 4th receivers on that '90s team. That says a lot in and of itself. If you're asking me who I'd want on my team, I'd take Tasker for all he can do. If you're asking me who the better receiver is, it's Evans and by a mile.

Lindell was far better than Norwood, all across the board. Lindell is a career 80% kicker (83% in Buffalo), while Norwood was at 72%. Norwood was 2/10 past 50 yards, Lindell is over 50%. He's better going down in every range: 40-49, 30-39, 20-29, etc.

Even controlling for the era (kickers are better these days), Lindell has 4 seasons in the top 10 in accuracy, Norwood had 1 - in a smaller league.

All there may be is the 'clutch' factor, and that doesn't seem there - Lindell has hit 70 go ahead field goals, vs. 33. I don't have any stats that show which of those are in the 4th quarter/OT.

u cant compare lindell and norwood because of the different eras. because of global warming the air is thicker now and keeps the FG attempts more accurate

u cant compare lindell and norwood because of the different eras. because of global warming the air is thicker now and keeps the FG attempts more accurate

I so want to believe you're joking and yet nowadays you never know when a post like this is serious.