which comes first?

DFL

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say QB.

I think mistakes can more easily be hidden by exceptional QB play than the opposite. Find a franchise trigger-man and build around him.

whover is available with the most talent/will to dominate. a top flight qb would be fantastic for reasons we have already discussed ad nausium. a tackle that can put d linemen on their backs with regularity would only help as well. bottom line: take the biggest difference maker available!

QB

To quote Sandra Bullock from The Blind Side

"As a home owner, the first check you write is for your mortgage, and the second one your write is for the insurance

Its based on who falls to us...If a guy is there that they love in a Qb they will take him, however i'm leaning more towards an Off tackle being drafted 1st. nobody will succeed behind our line. I think Tom brady would look like trash with our line.

i'm not talking about this draft specifically. lets say you have a new expansion team and you are the gm/owner, jerry jones only more awesome. do you look for a qb to lead your team, or maybe settle for a less talented qb but have a more talented oline.

QB

To quote Sandra Bullock from The Blind Side

"As a home owner, the first check you write is for your mortgage, and the second one your write is for the insurance

-1 for quoting sanda bullock btw

i'm not talking about this draft specifically. lets say you have a new expansion team and you are the gm/owner, jerry jones only more awesome. do you look for a qb to lead your team, or maybe settle for a less talented qb but have a more talented oline.

Looking at the two most recent expansion franchises' initial first-round picks ...

1999 Browns: Tim Couch

2002 Texans: David Carr

Did they pick the wrong QB, or did they ruin a guy who could have been their franchise QB by not protecting him? Hmmm.

The Browns' 1999 line was anchored by aging LT Lomas Brown, but Brown wasn't totally finished -- he moved on to play in the SB with the Giants the following year. Buffalo native Dave Wohlabaugh was serviceable at center, 'Zeus' Brown at RT. Guards were ... meh. Ty Detmer was the backup that year, and didn't do much better than Couch.

Carr never had a chance, once the Texans discovered that Tony Boselli wouldn't be able to play. Their line looked a lot like Buffalo's (post-injury-bug) this year -- Steve McKinney at C, two rookies (including at LT), and a bunch of scrubs. All these years later, I still can't believe he survived 76 sacks, much less took every snap at QB for them. I have my doubts as to whether Carr would have panned out anyway, but I'd put him in the 'ruined' camp.

Overall, unless there's an obvious, can't-miss QB prospect available at No. 9, put me in the "fix the line first" camp. The Jets could go ahead and start Sanchez this year precisely because he had three Pro Bowl O-linemen in front of him and a strong running game to lean on.

Get the OL. No rookie QB is going to be able to sustain his composure dealing with Buffalo's fans and media before he even needs to deal with rushing defenders. Unless the QB is from a northern state and has played in a pro style offense he is not going to be ready anyways with first season. To add to it the likelihood of a QB, in particular, holding out due to changes in free agency rules going offense line makes most sense. If the Bills draft a QB it should be in latter rounds, a QB who is capable of playing in another role whether it is PR or KR, possibly a TE if he is one of those huge QB prospects or a slash role if Bills go in that direction. The Bills players will be learning a new system and plugging in a new QB is a recipe for disaster.

I'm sure the answer is a lot more complicated. But I heard Jim Irsay part of the way on Mike and Mike this AM. He says part of the reason the Colts have been successful is that the FO (see him and the Polians) got the "pillar" decisions right.

He said one of the "pillar" decisions was to build the O-line first before drafting Manning. This ensured that Manning could be more successful out of the gate than if they hadn't.

That being said, if Manning is there when I'm drafting, I take him regardless. Maybe sit him the first year and have him watch while some grizzly vet runs the O behind a so-so line.

To me the Colts and Bills are the same franchise except for some key pillar decisions. One of them of course being letting Polian go.

C

QB is the most important position, Oline is the most important unit- if there is a franchise QB you can get then get him but most years there are no franchise QBs around- none of the QBs in this draft impress me, which is not to say that none of them will ever be good QBs but my guess is one will turn out good and six will flop and no one really knows who that good one will be- the other thing to think about is that playing behind a bad Oline can ruin a potentially good QB, if Achie Manning had played for a good team he might have been legend not just Peytons and Eli's Dad, and who knows if Edwards hadn't got his brains scrambled a bunch of times we might still think he's a pretty good QB.

QB is the higher priority, but I think O-line is going to come first. Because I doubt we'll have much opportunity to get a QB this year. There's 2 potential ones in the draft, but we'd probably need to trade up to get either one. There's a slim chance we could get McNabb, but even in that unlikely event, he can't be counted on for more than a couple years.

Meanwhile, at #9, we'll probably have our pick of the #2 or #3 OT in the draft. Between that, the development of our young guys from last year, and maybe another pickup (presumably at RT), I'd guess that we'll have a solid o-line before we have a QB.

Keep in mind also that it may take multiple tries to get a QB. First-rounders flame out at about 60%. Second-rounders at about 75%. Everything after that at about 95%. This is not an argument against drafting a QB high, it's an argument *for* it. Yes, it's risky, but it's a much lower risk than pinning your hopes on finding another Tom Brady or Kurt Warner.

what the hell, i started this same topic yesterday.

"Offensive line or QB with first pick?"

and by tomorrow, someone else will create another new thread on this topic again.

These same topics have been repeated over and over again: "I love/hate Tebow", "I want/don't want McNabb", "3-4 or 4-3", "OL or QB first", "Chan Gailey hires weak staff", "I hate Ralph Wilson". TBD will be filled with these same discussions pretty much until draft day.

and by tomorrow, someone else will create another new thread on this topic again.

These same topics have been repeated over and over again: "I love/hate Tebow", "I want/don't want McNabb", "3-4 or 4-3", "OL or QB first", "Chan Gailey hires weak staff", "I hate Ralph Wilson". TBD will be filled with these same discussions pretty much until draft day.

i give up. lets talk about the uniforms then.

lol!

what the hell, i started this same topic yesterday.

"Offensive line or QB with first pick?"

Well, it's not like yours was the very first iteration of this debate, nor will this one be the last, and the reason I know this is because I've responded with my own opinion in several dozen separate threads - start with the O-line...

"It doesn't matter what you run...doesn't matter whether you run it every snap, run the option, throw it, the most important position's offensive line. You can't do anything without a pretty good offensive line - and the more they handle, the more margin of error you have all the way around." - Mike Leach (link)

Or, to paraphrase from this article...

Texas Tech thrives on character of offensive line

'The secret to the Bills passing success will be the ability of their offensive line to keep [insert name of any Bills QB here] upright long enough to find Lee Evans and Terrell Owens downfield.'