Toyota Suspends Sales

Not sure if this had been posted in this thread yet. Honda recall:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100129/bs_nm/us_honda_recall

This is fun. Remember when Ford had its biggest recall ever? Only 3 months ago...

http://money.cnn.com/2009/10/13/news/compa...ecall/index.htm

And don't forget about the Bentley recall from 3 years ago...that was a PITA.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/wheel-prob...y-recall/227289

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is fun. Remember when Ford had its biggest recall ever? Only 3 months ago...

http://money.cnn.com/2009/10/13/news/compa...ecall/index.htm

And don't forget about the Bentley recall from 3 years ago...that was a PITA.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/wheel-prob...y-recall/227289

Doesnt matter to me, nor do I care. I was just throwing it out there for you bobble heads to argue about some recalls. But you're right, this is fun.

Are you suggesting that Toyota had prior knowledge of CTS manufacturing faulty gas pedals and that is why the vehicles assembled in Japan used a different supplier? Seems like a stretch to me.

Yes. All manufacturers have their version of what is generically known an an EPOS (Early Problem Originating System). They knew what was up.

Movinon - your are a poster that I have always had respect for. It will take some time to compose a response to your inquiry. I have to leave it today, saying that I have a keen insight on the dynamics, the economics that prevail today and in the past in the auto manufacturing biz.

...The adoption of the Deming principles, the rise of statistical methodology starting in the mid-'80's and the demise of folks that in real time, inspected components for fit and functionality, the introduction of the Japanese keiretsu, and so on.

Keiretsu:

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/econo...se-keiretsu.asp

Beats me. Toyota's hasn't. Not sure about Bentley.

..."The automaker blamed the problem on condensation in the pedal assembly, which includes the pedal, a curved arm that goes into the engine compartment, and springs that send the pedal back to its resting position when the driver eases up on the gas.

The condensation creates friction that can cause a delayed return of the pedal or, in rare cases, sticking, Lyons said. Toyota has also said the accelerators stick only in rare cases."

..."The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has attributed five deaths and 17 injuries to unintended acceleration in Toyota vehicles since 2006, but it could not say whether any of those involved vehicles covered by the recall."

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S1391843.shtml?cat=1

Stop being captious...a problem certainly exists.

Has the ford issues killed anybody yet?

So right. I can't think of a recall that a driver wasn't at least a little in "control" of what may happen.

Even years ago with the Pinto, one was sorta in control... Just travel behind others and don't get rear ended... :blink::w00t:

But with this Toyota issue... Every time one steps on the accelarator it can be your last... An E-ride ticket to hell. Pretty disconcerting since one has to touch the accelarator to go! :blink:

What happens is the bastard sticks in reverse! What happens if children are playing in the area... Sure one can get it to stop with proper tactics... May not until it rolls over a few people.

I mean think about it... This probably the worst recall in history given what is actually wrong. Really, I am surprised anybody is getting behind the wheel of one of these vehicles... I would make Toyota tow the vehicle to a shop. All cars should be immediately mothballed till fixed!

So right. I can't think of a recall that a driver wasn't at least a little in "control" of what may happen.

Even years ago with the Pinto, one was sorta in control... Just travel behind others and don't get rear ended...

Not to excuse the Toyota screwup, but the ability to shift your car into neutral doesn't constitute "control"?

But yeah, this is waaaay worse than exploding Pintos. :blink:

I never cared for "fly by wire" throttle controls. The gas pedal is a stand alone unit, not mechanically hooked to anything. It relies on a variable resistance sensor to send input to the engine controller, which then opens the throttle blades accordingly with a servo motor.

We're talking a small amount of volts here. .8 volts may signal closed throttle, 4 volts wide open. Just a small bleed over from adjacent wires in the harness and all hell breaks loose.

I asked a Chrysler training instructor about this. Why replace some thing as simple as a throttle cable with all these electronics? Answer-"the electronic throttle saves the cost of a cruse control vacuum servo."

No real reason, just cost cutting.

First of all, if you dont like "fly by wire" controls, then I guess you dont fly. Becuase mechanical aircraft controls went the way of the do do a long, long time ago. And they are much more reliable than youre letting on.

#2, its NOT about "cost cutting"......DRIVE by tire greatly simplifies the pollution control mechanisms of a gas motor. It allows for a hugely simplified automobile. Unless you loved all those vacuum hoses and those great "efficient" engines of the late 70s, early 80s.

Not to excuse the Toyota screwup, but the ability to shift your car into neutral doesn't constitute "control"?

But yeah, this is waaaay worse than exploding Pintos. :blink:

I guess people like playing Russian Roulette. :blink:

Yes way worse. The gas pedal makes the car go, did you forget that?

What happens if a person is backing up and only has so much room... Sure one can shift into neutral, by then it may be too late.

If I owned one of the Toyota's in question, I wouln't even touch the pedal... They would be towing it to the shop.

You know how serious this is? Ther isn't even a safe workaround to get the car from point A to point B.

Answer: Any one of these Toyotas in question is a potential death trap the minute even a pinky toe is place on the gas pedal... Instant Space Shuttle mode for the vehicle. The gas pedal is thee most important part... I repeat thee most important of the vehicle and the most dangerous if faulty. It is the "trigger" to the weapon. Why anyone woould continue to use the vehicle until properly fixed is beyond me.

Again... If I had one of these cars... I would not touch the thing until fixed. There is no safe work around.

First of all, if you dont like "fly by wire" controls, then I guess you dont fly. Becuase mechanical aircraft controls went the way of the do do a long, long time ago. And they are much more reliable than youre letting on.

#2, its NOT about "cost cutting"......DRIVE by tire greatly simplifies the pollution control mechanisms of a gas motor. It allows for a hugely simplified automobile. Unless you loved all those vacuum hoses and those great "efficient" engines of the late 70s, early 80s.

Okay then... You would think that there would be some sort of secondary system if something went wrong.

Like I said... This mechanism is the "trigger" on the weapon. Why would anyone risk even touching it if it is in question!

With triple redundant back up. sure. As far as smog mechanisms fine, who cares if the egr fails? I have been a dealer mechanic for many years and understand what you mean about eliminating the mess under the hood, but this is the throttle and a simple cable does the job just fine.

Incidentally, Chrysler get's their pedel Assembly's from the very same supplier, but built to their spec's. No problems.

With triple redundant back up. sure. As far as smog mechanisms fine, who cares if the egr fails? I have been a dealer mechanic for many years and understand what you mean about eliminating the mess under the hood, but this is the throttle and a simple cable does the job just fine.

Incidentally, Chrysler get's their pedel Assembly's from the very same supplier, but built to their spec's. No problems.

:blink::blink:

What about adjustable pedals... Is there a problem with cables??