Why the Fever for LeFevour?

Mikie2times

He has a lot of big accomplishments over a LONG period of time. He redshirted then started ever since. Big accomplishments/numbers are nothing new to the MAC, Freddie Barnes made over 160 catches this year.

LeFevour is a product of Brain Kelly system. Sure Kelly left, but his system never left. The typical spread option run with tons of great crossing routes and screens mixed in. Passing ball control if you will…..

Lefevour was out of Shotgun most the time. He ran the ball a lot out of option looks. Mid level arm, mid level accuracy, he does have good size, and also has the look of an 18 year old.

I’ve watched the guy a lot. Central Michigan is my former college’s biggest rival. I guess I just don’t see why so many are calling for the guy. He was a good college player, but I don’t see him transitioning at all to the NFL game. Maybe in the 5th or 6th round I would consider him.

The "fever" is because several QBs who were so-called no-names in college, among them Messrs. Brady, Roethlisberger, Warner, and Flacco, have had some success in the NFL, prompting everyone to look at under-considered QBs as the future of the team. Cf. the early 90s, when everyone had to be into some no-name grunge band.

As for LeFevour, I think you underrate him somewhat; he'd be a good fourth-round pick, and maybe a decent third-round pick.

71.07% completion, thats more than midlevel accuracy, and that spread offense translates to a WC offense in the pros, he does need to work on his long ball accuracy but so far he's showed very well at the senior bowl practices, he's got Tebowesque leadership qualities, tough, mobile, smart. Overall he's a solid prospect, not an immediate starter, but a guy that with the right coaching can become a franchise QB IMO, kinda like how Matt Schaub did. at the rate he''s going he wont last past mid 3rd rd, and thats where I want to draft him.

71.07% completion, thats more than midlevel accuracy, and that spread offense translates to a WC offense in the pros, he does need to work on his long ball accuracy but so far he's showed very well at the senior bowl practices, he's got Tebowesque leadership qualities, tough, mobile, smart. Overall he's a solid prospect, not an immediate starter, but a guy that with the right coaching can become a franchise QB IMO, kinda like how Matt Schaub did. at the rate he''s going he wont last past mid 3rd rd, and thats where I want to draft him.

West coast and spread don't translate at all.

Still, I do think he's interesting.

Plus Brian Kelly was long gone from CMU and LaFevour still racked up big numbers...in horrible weather I might add. When you have kid with that kind of record over 4 years that says something. So many of us droll over players that have one good year.

PTR

West coast and spread don't translate at all.

Still, I do think he's interesting.

i was speaking in terms of they both utilizes short and intermediate throws, quick reads that a guy like Lefevour could more easily transition to than a traditional NFL passing style

He has a lot of big accomplishments over a LONG period of time. He redshirted then started ever since. Big accomplishments/numbers are nothing new to the MAC, Freddie Barnes made over 160 catches this year.

LeFevour is a product of Brain Kelly system. Sure Kelly left, but his system never left. The typical spread option run with tons of great crossing routes and screens mixed in. Passing ball control if you will…..

Lefevour was out of Shotgun most the time. He ran the ball a lot out of option looks. Mid level arm, mid level accuracy, he does have good size, and also has the look of an 18 year old.

I’ve watched the guy a lot. Central Michigan is my former college’s biggest rival. I guess I just don’t see why so many are calling for the guy. He was a good college player, but I don’t see him transitioning at all to the NFL game. Maybe in the 5th or 6th round I would consider him.

Among QBs drafted in the first 2 rounds, the 2 college stats that most correlate with NFL success are games started and completion percentage. LeFevour scores very highly in both. Doesn't guarantee success by any means, but if NFL scouts judge him worthy of a 2nd-round pick, then there's a great chance he'll succeed.

I'm a CMU alum and a homer, but the kid has heart and the will to win. You could say the same about T-bone but LeFevour never circumcised a baby or cried on the field.

In the games I watched this year, he made all the throws and stood in when necessary. Take all the scout jargon you want, but in a rebuilding year (or years) I'd be super happy if we took him in the 3rd round and let him play in the pre-season to see what happened.

he's been the standout at the senior bowl to date. I suspect that he will make whatever claim he has to serious first day selection in the Senior Bowl, if at all. People like his mechanics, attitude and size and probably are not relying so much on his days at Central Michigan. If he keeps impressing there will be a lot of people reviewing Central Michigan tape in the next few weeks... I liked him in round 3 as an exception to my draft linemen mantra, but if he keeps going the way he does he'll work his way into round 2 at which point we will still be drafting linemen.

he's been the standout at the senior bowl to date. I suspect that he will make whatever claim he has to serious first day selection in the Senior Bowl, if at all. People like his mechanics, attitude and size and probably are not relying so much on his days at Central Michigan. If he keeps impressing there will be a lot of people reviewing Central Michigan tape in the next few weeks... I liked him in round 3 as an exception to my draft linemen mantra, but if he keeps going the way he does he'll work his way into round 2 at which point we will still be drafting linemen.

you are kidding, right.

here is Orangeman's post

The obsession with Lefevour hopefully ends this week...

"Meanwhile, Dan Lefevour’s college production exceeded all expectations at Central Michigan, but with small hands and only average arm strength he has little hope of success in the NFL beyond a back-up role. In particular, Lefevor really has to muscle up on most throws to get any zip on the ball, although he may be better on game day as he will have a chance to showcase his legs and take the focus off his arm."

http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowlreport.htm

"Central Michigan's Dan LeFevour lacks Pike's big arm, but was able to drive the ball with more authority than Canfield. However, he was the most erratic thrower Tuesday, struggling to hit his receivers in full stride. He has been limited in practice, as he has been asked to remain strictly in the pocket. Without the threat of scrambling, LeFevour's less-than-ideal accuracy is being exposed a bit against the North's quality defensive backs."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/1...ive-backs-solid

Dan LeFevour/Central Michigan

Arm Strength: LeFevour, based on the way he threw in this practice, doesn't have a strong arm. He couldn't get any power into his throws nor did he get a good push off his back foot.

Accuracy: Like many of the quarterbacks here in Mobile this week, he tended to rush his throws. Because of that, many of LeFevour's passes were inaccurate during this practice session.

Pocket Awareness/Movement: Moving away from the rush wasn't an issue at all for LeFevour. He seemed to sense oncoming pass rushers well.

Mechanics: LeFevour struggled with his footwork during this session. Because of that, he may have lost some power in his throws. His release point also seemed to be an issue for him.

http://sdg.scout.com/2/941207.html

That's what the senior bowl is about. He had a bad day on Tuesday, and you certainly aren't given a lot of bad days in this week. If he's going to impress he'd better do it soon. I'm not at all high on drafting a qb this year, so I'm not all that attuned to any of the qb's...The Sirius guys were touting him on Monday, but Tuesday is the first put up or shut up day, and he certainly failed to impress. He has time to show something, assuming he has anything to show.

As a not so avid college football fan speaking, and I pretty much only have experience following the MAC, I really liked what I saw of LeFevour when he played here. Had a good command of the offense and ran the no huddle almost exclusively. He picked the Bulls apart, and they have a good secondary.

But it seems to me everything I've read from pretty much everywhere is about how bad all these guys are at what it seems about is everything. I mean, can all these QB's, even from major programs, really stink so bad if especially in Bradford and Tebow's case they had a lot of playing time?

My question basically is, when talking about the draft, is the focus exclusively on the criticisms, the negatives? Every scout seems to pass over the positives and get straight to what needs work or can't be fixed. It seems really easy to do that. In anything, its much easier to criticize than it is to defend something you think is good. True with sports, music, movies, anything.

Can all these guys really suck? Is it just a poor QB draft class?

Yeah, and all the "experts" have him going in Rd 3-4, some even as high as 2. Plus the write-ups out of Mobile, granted it's only day 3, are that he is "By Far" the most impressive QB there...Good assessment on your part cuz, you know, I'm sure you have no bias :thumbsup::beer::lol:

watch senior bowl practice! floats deep ball and can't throw deep out! no thank-you!!

FYI from...http://profootball.scout.com/2/941359.html

Posted by: Tim Yotter, VikingUpdate.com

at 01/27/2010 11:53 AM ET

LeFevour Makes LeMistake

QB Dan LeFevour made a bad decision on a covered screen pass and LB Daryl Washington got an easy pick six.

Posted by: Scout Senior Bowl Team

at 01/27/2010 11:24 AM ET

Ghee and Pike

He was looking good so far, but Wake Forest CB Brandon Ghee just dropped a potential interception on an errant Tony Pike pass. Pike, meanwhile, continues his inaccurate ways. Tony Pike continues his inaccurate ways. He overthrew 6-4 Danario Alexander on an easy slant route.