Bruce DeHaven is our Special Teams coach now, anyone still mad at him?

I don't think DeHaven did anything wrong. One of the players who did not stay in his lane was Jonathan Linton. Not sure of the others but the coach can only coach. Players have to do the job on the field.

No, it was Daryl Porter.

And dehaven is an EXCELLENT coach that I would GLADLY have back. He was a scapegoat from the beginning.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the players who did not stay in his lane was Jonathan Linton.

I think Dayrl Porter was 1 other player who did not stay in his lane.

I had always blamed the short CB that seemed to more than occasionally have "brain farts".

I think as DRG mentions, it was Porter.

I don't so much blame Dehaven for our poor ST, but rather Wade. A ST coach can only do as much as the HC allows.

Levy put great emphasis on ST & they flourished under Dehaven & Levy. Once Levy left, Wade put much less emphasis on them (I've read horror stories of what ST practice was like under the incompetent guy Wade replaced Dehaven w/) & performance suffered accordingly.

An aside, for all his faults, one of the strong pts of Jauron IMO was his emphasis & allocation of resources to ST. He made April's job much easier. (Similar to this, look how terrible April's ST were under Martz.)

I had always blamed the short CB that seemed to more than occasionally have "brain farts".

I don't so much blame Dehaven for our poor ST, but rather Wade. A ST coach can only do as much as the HC allows.

Levy put great emphasis on ST & they flourished under Dehaven & Levy. Once Levy left, Wade put much less emphasis on them (I've read horror stories of what ST practice was like under the incompetent guy Wade replaced Dehaven w/) & performance suffered accordingly.

An aside, for all his faults, one of the strong pts of Jauron IMO was his emphasis & allocation of resources to ST. He made April's job much easier. (Similar to this, look how terrible April's ST were under Martz.)

Im sure it was him,i had just met him earlier in the week with Jamie Nails,Thurman Thomas,Camille Loud(sp)and Kevin Williams that week at 24k gold.Daryl was a great guy,Thurman was cool,the rest were arrogant dbags.Daryl told me he loved playing in Buffalo,he had been with the Lions and Steelers,and it sucked to see him miss the tackle.

Exactly, good post.

Mike Mularkey also put that emphasis on special teams I believe, allowing "name" starters to play ST's. Marv also had the diminutive ST superstar Steve Tasker.

I thought it was Daryll Porter. On kickoffs, I was the 2nd guy from the sideline. Your only job is to stay outside the hash and watch for reverses or any trick plays. That's all you're supposed to do. It is super boring but the second you don't do your job, well then you have a Music City illegal Forward pass.

So I have no idea why anyone would be mad at Dehaven for a player not doing his job. i'd take him back in a heartbeat.

He got fired as the scape goat for that play which forced Ronnie to be hired which forced Wade to be fired. Which caused the next ten years of alot of garbage hirings being fired. Whew!!!! :doh:

Bruce got let go by Seatle Seahawks with the Pete C. hire. Could Bills fans forgive him for the Tennesse playoff loss. Maybe this could bridge the 10 years and make everything OK again. I hope Gailey is at least looking at this. Also hope we can bring back Rusty Jones.

http://failuremag.com/index.php/feature/ar...c_city_miracle/

http://ssreporters.wordpress.com/2010/01/1...-dehaven-fired/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_City_Miracle

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/coach.asp?coach_id=18

http://www.strengthcoach.com/public/1263.cfm

What's to forgive? I don't recall that Bruce left his lane on that play. Several others Bills did though.

DeHaven is a good ST coach. Back then he was working with some pretty low-end draft talent and aging stars because the Bills were doing their best to hold onto the old-guard. I believe that the Hawks finished in the middle of the pack on Special Teams, but a lot can factor into it.

I would think that he would jump at the opportunity to coach a unit that has finished #1 (3-times the last 5 years).

Take it FWIW, but I am hearing (from a source I will not name, believe me or don't), Bruce DeHaven has indeed agreed to join Chan Gaileys staff in Buffalo. Also Bob Sanders, Definsive line Coach and George Catvolos, Definsive Backs Coach will be returning, and...

drum role.... Chuck Lester is history in Buffalo, and Alex Van Pelt is more than likely out as well!

I thought it was Daryll Porter. On kickoffs, I was the 2nd guy from the sideline. Your only job is to stay outside the hash and watch for reverses or any trick plays. That's all you're supposed to do. It is super boring but the second you don't do your job, well then you have a Music City illegal Forward pass.

So I have no idea why anyone would be mad at Dehaven for a player not doing his job. i'd take him back in a heartbeat.

You fogot the the illegal block in the back that nobody saw too.

:thumbsup:

Bruce got let go by Seatle Seahawks with the Pete C. hire. Could Bills fans forgive him for the Tennesse playoff loss. Maybe this could bridge the 10 years and make everything OK again. I hope Gailey is at least looking at this. Also hope we can bring back Rusty Jones.

He was a scapegoat for a botched play just like Favre is to blame for the Vikings loss.

If he's THE best there is available I don't have an issue with him.

If Ralph is still holding grudges against Lou Saban and Cookie Gilchrist, chances are he feels the same about DeHaven.

No where, anywhere outside of the idiotic ramblings of the newly-resurgent anti-Ralph brigade on TSW, has anyone ever said that Ralph fired, hated, disliked, or even expressed an opinion about Bruce DeHaven. Thus this point is moot, Haven.