Would You Trade The #9 Pick For A Proven Player?

yungmack

While we're all caught up in figuring out what the Bills need, who'll be available at #9 and arguing over who they should draft, it's good to remember that at best, the draft is a crap shoot. No matter how good a job the scouts do, it seems a fairly high percentage of draft picks (20%? 40%? 60%?) never live up to the lofty expectations that come with their draft-day position even when they make the squad. And while that's true of every team, it seems particularly true of the Bills and their first round picks in the last ten years, so many of whom have been outright busts.

In addition, the higher the position of the pick, the costlier the contract. And it's human nature for the people who picked that player to stick with them year after year (Losman, Williams). Plus that player is taking up a roster slot which might have gone to a player who could have helped your team.

On the other hand, you already know the track record of players currently in the league. Unlike draftees, who your never really certain about until they get some real life NFL experience, you know what guys currently in the league can and cannot do.

So, considering the needs the Bills have -- and if Schobel retires, there's another major hole to be filled (unless you're content with Aaron Maybin) -- and the pressure to have at least an exciting and competitive team right away, I don't think it would be a bad idea at all to trade that #9 pick (and maybe some others) for one or more proven players who can immediately contribute.

Comments?

I think Buddy Nix said it best when he said you "have to look at a players entire body of work".

If a player was great in high school and great in college, there's a good chance he'll be great in the pro's. I doubt you'll find the Nix/Gailey team looking at projects or reaching for players like Maybin.

Depends on the player. But I'd be open to it.

NO NO NO, one player will not help us, Reports out of 1 BD that they think they have a good roster with Player already in house if all are HEALTHY so there you have it.. We need all the Players we can find we should trade down if we can for more picks and Build the LINES this year

For McNabb, maybe. He probably has 3-5 years left and could make us legitamate immediately. Fanfare would be huge and this would constitute a " Big Splash " PR move by the Bills. At least the National media would be talking about us again like TO did fo us. Gailey is good at getting something out of old QB's.

For McNabb, maybe. He probably has 3-5 years left and could make us legitamate immediately. Fanfare would be huge and this would constitute a " Big Splash " PR move by the Bills. At least the National media would be talking about us again like TO did fo us. Gailey is good at getting something out of old QB's.

FWIW, heard a report than if Favre retires, Vikes will go after McNabb who has a relationship with Childress.

haha..i didn't see your post. I would do it for McNabb as well. :doh:

While we're all caught up in figuring out what the Bills need, who'll be available at #9 and arguing over who they should draft, it's good to remember that at best, the draft is a crap shoot. No matter how good a job the scouts do, it seems a fairly high percentage of draft picks (20%? 40%? 60%?) never live up to the lofty expectations that come with their draft-day position even when they make the squad. And while that's true of every team, it seems particularly true of the Bills and their first round picks in the last ten years, so many of whom have been outright busts.

In addition, the higher the position of the pick, the costlier the contract. And it's human nature for the people who picked that player to stick with them year after year (Losman, Williams). Plus that player is taking up a roster slot which might have gone to a player who could have helped your team.

On the other hand, you already know the track record of players currently in the league. Unlike draftees, who your never really certain about until they get some real life NFL experience, you know what guys currently in the league can and cannot do.

So, considering the needs the Bills have -- and if Schobel retires, there's another major hole to be filled (unless you're content with Aaron Maybin) -- and the pressure to have at least an exciting and competitive team right away, I don't think it would be a bad idea at all to trade that #9 pick (and maybe some others) for one or more proven players who can immediately contribute.

Comments?

Agree 100%, and have often had the same thought.

Assuming the player is in his prime, not in the final year of his contract, not a head case some other team is looking to unload, and has commensurate value to the #1 - I say, why not? In fact, it makes an awful lot of sense on two fronts: First, the learning curve is in the rear-view mirror - the guy is NFL seasoned and ready to go. Secondly, the risk of being a bust or of the player not able to compete at the NFL level is no longer a factor.

Look what the Eagles got last year for a late 1st round pick - a pro bowl left tackle. Four teams took a OT in the first round before the # 28 pick that the Eagles eventually traded to the Bills. Guaranteed each one came in fairly green and will take at least a couple of years to be at the same level of Jason Peters. None made the pro bowl. None started 16 games.

So who got the better value for the 2009 season? The Eagles, or the 4 teams (3 within the top 10 picks).

For my money, unless you're forever planning for future years, or in rebuilding mode (see Buffalo Bills), I believe the trade scenerio could actually make a lot of sense. I'm surprised it's not a more prevalent occurance.

If the Bills could get a need position for a player that still has at least 4 years of prime playing time on him, has 1st round value, or can be depended on as a team leader that wouldn't be out of place on a superbowl caliber team - why not?

Better than having another average or less than average money sponge like John McCargo, Mike Williams, Erik Flowers, Donte Whitner, Losman, McGahee, etc etc etc.

Comments?

Yes, I would.

Jared Gaither.

Left Tackle problem solved with a proven player.

Two of the positions where rookies are seldom started -- and when they are, they're seldom successful -- are LT and QB. So if the Bills draft for either position at #9, that's a pretty clear statement that they're "drafting for the future." But I don't think RW or the fans have much appetite for "wait 'til next year." Of course, the fans, myself included, will probably go just as nuts if they don't get at least a very good LT onto the roster. Kind of an interesting quandry which is why I think we could see a trade for that elusive LT.

let's talk cap hit....

the #9 pick will probably get a 5yr / $ 35 mil deal (ave $7 mil / yr)

Donavan McNabb is heading into the second year of a 2yr / $24.5 mil deal (ave $12mil/yr)

he will demand an extension......or be very unhappy....or he could play out his one year deal and hit free agency....leaving us with nothing.

his playoff QB rating in 80...not to good......and Terrell Owens called him out for having an anxiety attack so bad in a playoff game that he couldn't even talk to call the plays. Not only does he blame a Super Bowl loss on McNabb, calling him a quitter, Owens says McNabb chokes in big games and suggests that McNabb can't perform under pressure.

another time Owens said that the team would be better off with Brett Favre as their QB......mcnabb's reaction?.....donavan turned it into a "race" issue http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2315565 and proceeded to name two white receivers that they would be better off with.

owens to me is like jose conseco......he might be an azz.....but everything he says is true.

i'm not against trading my #1 pick..........but not for McNabb.

mcnabb aint worth a 9