Jabari Greer

aussiew

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Drew Brees was un-inspiring during his time there. I have no doubt that one day Brian Brohm will someday be to Buffalo what Drew Brees is to New Orleans. :doh:

Drew Brees actually beat out Doug Flutie for the starting job in SD and played in 59 NFL games before he ended up in NO.

Brohm lost his backup job on the roster (which went to a guy drafted in the 7th round after him) and never played a game before coming to Buffalo.

The similarities are clear. ;)

Drew Brees actually beat out Doug Flutie for the starting job in SD and played in 59 NFL games before he ended up in NO.

Brohm lost his backup job on the roster (which went to a guy drafted in the 7th round after him) and never played a game before coming to Buffalo.

The similarities are clear. :doh:

Yet GB matched the Bills' offer.

The similarities are clear. :doh:

Brees is simply another demonstration that the key to getting a franchise QB is not only to be found in drafting a great 1st rounder but actually teams can find their franchise QB on the trade block (as both Brees and actually Favre came to GB) in FA (Favre to MN and other SC winning QBs such as Brad Johnson or Dilfer) or late round picks such as Brady.

In fact the eventual success of Manning after he was drafted by Indy and immediate success of RoboQB in Pitts has made folks forget that the last first round pick to lead the team which drafted him to an SB was Troy Aikman who was picked back in the late 80s.

Drafting a QB in the 1st can work but is simply a high risk maneuver which would almost certainly be a far worse alternative for the Bills than to instead focus on improving us in the trenches.

Particularly in this draft where the best QB Bradford is very good, but brings with him questions of injury recovery from his twice injured shoulder and would be playing for us behind our incredibly young OL which would not be reinforced with the better OL players in this draft picking a QB in the first may well condemn this team to another several years of chasing it tail.

Even though I was rooting for the Vikes to win - I kept my soft spot for Jabari Greer. Every since meeting him in his first Bills training camp, I have said on this board that he would become a memorable player. He played hard for the Bills, had a great character, was respected by his team mates, stayed out of trouble and didn't care about being a "star" - a true workhorse. And we reward him by letting him go when he became a FA.

But we did him a favor - he's going to the big game.

Way to go Jabari - I wish you the best!!!

Same here. I met Jabari at his first training camp and even though he wasn't known at the time he was talking smack and just having a good time with his team mates and he instantly earned my respect. I hope he has an awesome game. Big mistake by Buffalo ever letting him go.

Same here. I met Jabari at his first training camp and even though he wasn't known at the time he was talking smack and just having a good time with his team mates and he instantly earned my respect. I hope he has an awesome game. Big mistake by Buffalo ever letting him go.

I also was impressed with Greer at training camp and in pre-season where for several pre-seasons in a row he performed well even going horizontal a couple of times for nice INTs in pre-season. Yet, he never seemed to break out and perform in regular season to match is pre-season output.

Part of this was likely the coaches never calling on him in regular season the way they put him in tough coverage as a CB the way they did in pre-season.

Part of this though was that actually Greer did not seem to show as much on the field as starters like Clements or even McGee who was playing well when Greer first got here in 2004 and after some initial struggles in Jauron's Cover 2 developed into our #1 CB. Greer as much as we liked him did not perform well enough in the field to generate any whey and cry from fans to start him and apparently he did not show enough in closed practices to win a spot.

Greer actually did see a lot of PT as he actually appeared in 16 games a season for the Bills until he got hurt an only did 10 games in his FA year.

My sense is that the whines about it being a mistake to draft McKelvin cause we already had Greer actually ignores the fact that such a move not only endorses Greer but also stands firmly behing Parrish as being the Bills answer on punt return duty and it is clear that Parrish is not what we need for this duty.

I for one had little problem with the Bills letting Greer go as one of the impacts of us drafting so heavily for CBs and second day pick McGee developing is that on a team with a lot of needs CB is not one of them.

Greer strikes me as a player who can be very good on a good team, but on our bad team with a relatively strong secondary he was a player we actually could not afford. So kudos to Greer for picking a good team and his skill and intellect have gotten him a contributing role on an SB team. However, if he had stayed here it would not have been good for Greer and likely not have made much of a difference for us.

Even though I was rooting for the Vikes to win - I kept my soft spot for Jabari Greer. Every since meeting him in his first Bills training camp, I have said on this board that he would become a memorable player. He played hard for the Bills, had a great character, was respected by his team mates, stayed out of trouble and didn't care about being a "star" - a true workhorse. And we reward him by letting him go when he became a FA.

But we did him a favor - he's going to the big game.

Way to go Jabari - I wish you the best!!!

Funny how that works, you let a good player go, then you have to devote a draft pick or several of them to replace him, picks you could have used to improve the team. If you hit on the pick, all you have done is kept from getting worse, you've broke even, nothing more. I haven't checked and don't want to know if we took McKelvin the same year we let Jabari go, I don't think I could stand the pain.

Funny how that works, you let a good player go, then you have to devote a draft pick or several of them to replace him, picks you could have used to improve the team. If you hit on the pick, all you have done is kept from getting worse, you've broke even, nothing more. I haven't checked and don't want to know if we took McKelvin the same year we let Jabari go, I don't think I could stand the pain.

Not to worry as McKelvin and Jabari both were both Bills for a season. To the extent one plays who replaces whom, my sense is that McKelvin was picked primarily because the Bills had him going several picks before they chose last year and felt McKelvin dropped to them.

In general the Bills and the league have an attitude you can never have too many CBs, ao unless they had two lockdown CBs and also a clear nickel CB who is virtually a starter in the NFL these days they Bills and few teams would refuse to pick-up a CB who dropped to us with last year's pick (I think it was the #11 pick). The only thing that might sway them would be if another player they ranked highly at a position of compelling need was still on the board. At the time of the draft when McKelvin was taken the Bills and Jauron were still hopefully looking for pieces to push them into the playoffs rather than the rebuilding mode we are in today.

The big impetus for the Bills at that point was not necessarily replacing future FA losses like Greer who would be UFA after the 2008 season but making sure they had a #1 CB after they had let Clements walk the year before. McGee had actually surprised folks who had written him off after he had initial trouble picking up the Cover 2, but he was developing into the #1 CB and there was no thought by anyone that Greer was (or is now) a #1 quality CB.

Greer like several other Bills such as Youbouty were candidates for the#2 role. McKelvin was picked with the idea he could eventually become our #1 CB and to boot might immediately give us an alternative to Roscoe Parrish at PR and of great importance allow us to not employ McGee as both a KR guy and #1 CB.

The idea of matching McKelvin up with Greer as his replacement does not indicate a lot of understanding of how to build the Bills into a winner.

Not to worry as McKelvin and Jabari both were both Bills for a season. To the extent one plays who replaces whom, my sense is that McKelvin was picked primarily because the Bills had him going several picks before they chose last year and felt McKelvin dropped to them.

In general the Bills and the league have an attitude you can never have too many CBs, ao unless they had two lockdown CBs and also a clear nickel CB who is virtually a starter in the NFL these days they Bills and few teams would refuse to pick-up a CB who dropped to us with last year's pick (I think it was the #11 pick). The only thing that might sway them would be if another player they ranked highly at a position of compelling need was still on the board. At the time of the draft when McKelvin was taken the Bills and Jauron were still hopefully looking for pieces to push them into the playoffs rather than the rebuilding mode we are in today.

The big impetus for the Bills at that point was not necessarily replacing future FA losses like Greer who would be UFA after the 2008 season but making sure they had a #1 CB after they had let Clements walk the year before. McGee had actually surprised folks who had written him off after he had initial trouble picking up the Cover 2, but he was developing into the #1 CB and there was no thought by anyone that Greer was (or is now) a #1 quality CB.

Greer like several other Bills such as Youbouty were candidates for the#2 role. McKelvin was picked with the idea he could eventually become our #1 CB and to boot might immediately give us an alternative to Roscoe Parrish at PR and of great importance allow us to not employ McGee as both a KR guy and #1 CB.

The idea of matching McKelvin up with Greer as his replacement does not indicate a lot of understanding of how to build the Bills into a winner.

None of that convinces me that we improved the team by losing Jabari Greer. The only reason we lost Greer is that the front office didn't think he was worth keeping. They were flat out wrong. If he was still here and still on this roster, there would be a player currently on the roster who wouldn't be. Simple math. And whatever we used to get that player, draft pick or FA$ or trade, we would have used for someone else, someone who might have improved the team.

It is really a very simple analysis. Do you think Greer is a good player? If you do, we agree on that. Do you think we got better by letting him go? If you do, then that is where we disagree. Explain that to me, how it is that by letting a good player go, we got better. 'Cuz I don't have the understanding that you and the team have about how to build a winner with brilliant moves like losing Jabari Greer.

It is the way the Bills do business. They refuse to pay a good player when their contract expires and replace that player with a cheaper draftee or free agent player. In that type of losing mentality you replace players on your team instead of adding talent to your roster. Instead of drafting another CB such as McKelvin it would have been better to re-sign Greer and draft for another need on the OL or DL. That is how a team advances. But the Bills business mentality is to extract as much money out of the roster as possible. Their business model is to replace players with cheaper players. It is the same old nonsense over and over.

that is true for the most part. certainly for DBs, where FA salaries are out of this world. they practically had to let Clements go. but the tampa 2 defense had a lot to do with it. if you could not run, you were out . big guys like Spikes, pat williams, jim leonard, others simply did not fit. corners were expendable, as shut down/exceptional/expensive corners are not needed in the tampa 2 as you don't play man to man coverage much if at all.... the tragedy is now we go back to the 3-4 where you need those guys again. stupid bills.

None of that convinces me that we improved the team by losing Jabari Greer. The only reason we lost Greer is that the front office didn't think he was worth keeping. They were flat out wrong. If he was still here and still on this roster, there would be a player currently on the roster who wouldn't be. Simple math. And whatever we used to get that player, draft pick or FA$ or trade, we would have used for someone else, someone who might have improved the team.

It is really a very simple analysis. Do you think Greer is a good player? If you do, we agree on that. Do you think we got better by letting him go? If you do, then that is where we disagree. Explain that to me, how it is that by letting a good player go, we got better. 'Cuz I don't have the understanding that you and the team have about how to build a winner with brilliant moves like losing Jabari Greer.

It's called treading water. Constantly hoping to develop the next guy after the last guy is developed and thus gone.

On the bright side, we should expect more wholesale changes with the regime change. :thumbsup: