[please fix subject]Peter King - overtime rant

sharper802

The point is 28% of the time only one team touches the ball. That might be OK in the regular season, but in the playoffs 60 minutes of football shouldn't be wiped out by a coin flip in 29% of the games. I had an idea earlier in the season that I had forgotten about till last night, which I think would keep the excitement of sudden death. While at the same time eliminating the disappointment of an opening drive game winning field goal. The issue I have, which I think many share, is that so often kickers decide the game before both QBs get to touch the ball.

My simple idea is that in OT a team has to win by 4 points in order to win the game. That would mean that each quarterback would get to touch the ball once, unless an opening drive touchdown is scored in the OT period. I have no problem with sudden death OT ending in a touchdown, I just don't apply the same value to a FG as TD. In regulation a TD is worth 6 (plus PAT) and a FG is worth 3. Why is it in OT they are both essentially equal to 1? So, by setting the game winning threshold to 4 the first team to score a TD worth of points (6) will win the game. If a team scores a FG, then a TD plus an extra point will be required for the opponent to win the game. If two field goals by one team occur prior to any score by the opponent, the winning team clearly showed football superiority in the OT period.

edit: I would also like to eliminate the coin flip and always give the ball to the away team to start the OT period.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is 28% of the time only one team touches the ball. That might be OK in the regular season, but in the playoffs 60 minutes of football shouldn't be wiped out by a coin flip in 29% of the games. I had an idea earlier in the season that I had forgotten about till last night, which I think would keep the excitement of sudden death. While at the same time eliminating the disappointment of an opening drive game winning field goal. The issue I have, which I think many share, is that so often kickers decide the game before both QBs get to touch the ball.

My simple idea is that in OT a team has to win by 4 points in order to win the game. That would mean that each quarterback would get to touch the ball once, unless an opening drive touchdown is scored in the OT period. I have no problem with sudden death OT ending in a touchdown, I just don't apply the same value to a FG as TD. In regulation a TD is worth 6 (plus PAT) and a FG is worth 3. Why is it in OT they are both essentially equal to 1? So, by setting the game winning threshold to 4 the first team to score a TD worth of points (6) will win the game. If a team scores a FG, then a TD plus an extra point will be required for the opponent to win the game. If two field goals by one team occur prior to any score by the opponent, the winning team clearly showed football superiority in the OT period.

edit: I would also like to eliminate the coin flip and always give the ball to the away team to start the OT period.

Interesting idea. What happens if the first team kicks a FG and the opposing team then kicks a FG? Now it's back to tied. Could last forever. I like it the way it is. Leave it alone. If it ain't broke (which it ain't) don't fix it.

I definitely would love to see the other team get a chance to match... or beat the receiving team. It would bring up some interesting strategy when the first team has the ball... do they try for a long field goal, go for it on 4th and 1 from the 3... do they trust their defense to not let up a TD.... etc....

Interesting idea. What happens if the first team kicks a FG and the opposing team then kicks a FG? Now it's back to tied. Could last forever. I like it the way it is. Leave it alone. If it ain't broke (which it ain't) don't fix it.

You're right, that is the problem with the idea, games could last a while. However, in the playoffs games lasting too long isn't really a problem. I do tend to agree though that the current system works and is simple, so leave it alone.

Yeah, well Peter King is right. The OT rules suck. This was only the latest example.

Minnesota had their chance to win at the end of regulation and blew it. They then had a chance to not allow a 40 yard kickoff return to open the OT, and blew that. They then had the opportunity to force the Saints to punt and blew that. Basically they blew every opportunity they had to win the game and they need to be man enough to face the music. I am pretty sure none of the players on the Vikings are complaining about the OT rules---they know they had their chances and blew it.

Is is any less fair than in hockey if a team gets possession of the faceoff off the opening OT draw, enters the offensive zone and scores without the other team ever getting possession? Where are all the complaints about that? Noone seemed to complain about the Bills intercepting Warren Moon in the comeback game on the opening possession in OT which led to a chip shot field goal by Christie...should the Seahawks have complained when Hasselback threw the interception that was returned for a TD because they didn't get a chance to play defense?

Let's be real here...no matter how "fair" you want to make it, it will never be fair

That is not the point... Of course they made their mistakes and still could have won even with the refs and the NFL in the bag for NO.

Like I said... I wanted the Saints to win... What a sucky way to win though... It was pretty obvious that the refs were in the bag for NO.

I did not see the first half, but from when I started watching, it sure looked like the refs were favoring the Vikings.

It's too bad the ref gave Favre the penalty on the first legal hit.

because after that, NO was in a frenzy to dismember Favre. and none of those hits would have happened if the Vikings had punted after the sack on the bogus roughing call.

The NFL should do like Hockey institute 20 minute overtimes. If score is still tied than another after a 10 minute intermission. This way each team should get the ball and is forced to try to score the most TDs vs FGs

Did you watch the Sabres game against VAN last night? The refs are even worse in the NHL!

!@#$ Fraser! :P:devil:

Joe,

I totally agree with this comment, they should let them play, I am amazed that people want to blame the refs instead of the fact that in crunch time on 3 different occasions if the Vikes hold onto the ball and Favre makes a good decision at the end, we are looking at a Manning Vs. Favre Super Bowl, but due to the fact they couldn't deliver when needed and some ticky tack perhaps non calls that were called, the combination can be what did them in. It's totally unrealistic to only lay the outcome on the officials.

I am not totally laying it on the officials... Minny did their fair share to blow the game. The refs tipped it over the edge. At least make the calls the right way and make NO work a little harder in the end. Desite all the Minny mistakes, the refs litterall put NO in FG range with bad calls. That isn't fair. Refs are not supposed to make mistakes, the teams are!

Minny making mistakes and the refs are not related one bit... Apples and oranges. A team no matter what problems they are haviing shouldn't have to overcome the refs too! That is unacceptable.

Minny making mistakes and the refs are not related one bit... Apples and oranges. A team no matter what problems they are haviing shouldn't have to overcome the refs too! That is unacceptable.

The point is that the # 2 team in the conference shouldn't have been in that situation when they had numerous opportunities to bury the Saints earlier in the game. They didn't and they put themselves in a situation where the officials could help determine the outcome and thats what happened. They are totally related, if MIN takes care of business, the refs have no say in the final outcome of the game