Drafting a QB in the first round would be a huge mistake

I'm not saying the Bills must take a QB in the first round this year, but if they hope to get a Franchise QB, the first round one of these years is the best option. If I was running the draft and Clausen was somehow there at 9 (which he won't be) I'd grab him and take my chances. I wouldn't pick Bradford ever as he looks like the second coming of Chad Pennington with worse injury issues.

Implicit in skipping a QB in the first is the idea that Buffalo could grab one later. Specifically most people say we can grab one in the second, but history proves this false. In the past 15 years only 1 sucessful qb has been taken in the second, Drew Brees, and he was taken at the top of the round. So who was the second most sucessfull qb? Tavaris Jackson. Meanwhile in that same time span the second has produced tons of great players at every othe position including OT.

So while I don't think the Bills have to take a qb in the first, people better realize that if they don't we have as much chance of finding a good one in the second as we do of finding a Tom Brady in the 6th.

Check out Dan Lefevour out of CMU ,look at his stats for his college career the kid is great!! He would need to change to pro style offense but Chan the man has that covered and he will probably go in the late second to third round that would be a great savings money wise & we could get a LT or DT in the first . Because no matter what if you put Marino or Montanna behind a O line that won't give you some time there doomed i don't care how good they are !!

Drafting a rookie QB (especially Clausen) and putting him behind this line would be an even larger mistake than the Maybin pick... when you have an o-line like the Jets (hate to say it) you can afford to invest a high pick in one of those guys, if you don't you're never going to see his potential bc he's going to get the #$& beat out of him before he can learn anything. Further as tight as Wilson is can you really tell me he's going to stroke a check for a high 1st round QB?!? No way.

We HAVE to address both o-tackle spots (Butler, Bell & Scott?!?) and we don't even know what's going to happen w Wood (met him at a Louisville bball game a couple of weeks ago and spoke with him - it's obvious, even he's very unsure as to when he'll be ready to play football again; love this kid!)

In so far as the "look at Clausen's #s talk" - IMO you can throw out any #s a Charlie Weiss QB puts up (ie Brady Quinn) much as you would with the Texas Tech QBs! They run a gimmick non-pro style offense that we don't even have the personnel to run anyway.... want an example? Exhibit A: the KC Chiefs

Let's hope we just use the pick on someone who can make a difference NOW! We have sooooo many difficiencies (LB, DT, OT, QB, DE) at key spots on both sides - we are not one pick or even two away from being a playoff football team again. I'm not dogging our guys hustle and effort (maybe their ability to stay healthy a little...) but many of the players that you saw in the last 1/4 of the season wont be on this team next year - they were signed to fill spots.

How we handle free agency this off season, to me, is a larger factor than the draft. Where we end up blowing close games is because of our lack of quality DEPTH. Now in defense of this year - NO TEAM IN THE LEAGUE could possibly prepare for 21 guys on IR - still can't believe that number! How does that happen - still can't figure it out!

I do believe we will be better this year but it does concern me that the notion of a rookie QB should be our first fix. We should take the best player available - that's not a DB - and try to build depth w some veteran FAs.

Check this site out for a bdown of players projected to be available: http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/fa/ol.html

GO BILLS! COACH EM UP CHAN! THEY ARE STARVING FOR IT!!

I agree. Draft linemen on both sides of the ball and build a foundation. Parcells does this everywhere he goes.

The Jets did it. Imagine Sanchez with our line?

The Blueprint to success is right in our face. To compete in the AFC North you need to be string in the trenches.

I agree. Draft linemen on both sides of the ball and build a foundation. Parcells does this everywhere he goes.

The Jets did it. Imagine Sanchez with our line?

The Blueprint to success is right in our face. To compete in the AFC North you need to be string in the trenches.

Imagine Sanchez with just about any other line. Sanchez is not very good right now. He is showing improvement, but he is not a proven franchis QB just yet. That Jets team would be winning with trent edwards at QB. THe Jets use great defense and a good offensive line to win, but this team will not win it all, in my opinion. The teams with the great qarterbacks are the ones who win year in and year out. It all starts at QB. The other pieces add to the blueprint. I think Peyton will show the Jets this Sunday that the QB position is most important.

Guest dog14787
Imagine Sanchez with just about any other line. Sanchez is not very good right now. He is showing improvement, but he is not a proven franchis QB just yet. That Jets team would be winning with trent edwards at QB. THe Jets use great defense and a good offensive line to win, but this team will not win it all, in my opinion. The teams with the great qarterbacks are the ones who win year in and year out. It all starts at QB. The other pieces add to the blueprint. I think Peyton will show the Jets this Sunday that the QB position is most important.

You make a great point, give your QB the Football team he needs to succeed and its not just on offense, he needs the whole package.

Defense wins Championships and the Jets are a good example.

Drafting a rookie QB (especially Clausen) and putting him behind this line would be an even larger mistake than the Maybin pick... when you have an o-line like the Jets (hate to say it) you can afford to invest a high pick in one of those guys, if you don't you're never going to see his potential bc he's going to get the #$& beat out of him before he can learn anything. Further as tight as Wilson is can you really tell me he's going to stroke a check for a high 1st round QB?!? No way.

We HAVE to address both o-tackle spots (Butler, Bell & Scott?!?) and we don't even know what's going to happen w Wood (met him at a Louisville bball game a couple of weeks ago and spoke with him - it's obvious, even he's very unsure as to when he'll be ready to play football again; love this kid!)

In so far as the "look at Clausen's #s talk" - IMO you can throw out any #s a Charlie Weiss QB puts up (ie Brady Quinn) much as you would with the Texas Tech QBs! They run a gimmick non-pro style offense that we don't even have the personnel to run anyway.... want an example? Exhibit A: the KC Chiefs

Let's hope we just use the pick on someone who can make a difference NOW! We have sooooo many difficiencies (LB, DT, OT, QB, DE) at key spots on both sides - we are not one pick or even two away from being a playoff football team again. I'm not dogging our guys hustle and effort (maybe their ability to stay healthy a little...) but many of the players that you saw in the last 1/4 of the season wont be on this team next year - they were signed to fill spots.

How we handle free agency this off season, to me, is a larger factor than the draft. Where we end up blowing close games is because of our lack of quality DEPTH. Now in defense of this year - NO TEAM IN THE LEAGUE could possibly prepare for 21 guys on IR - still can't believe that number! How does that happen - still can't figure it out!

I do believe we will be better this year but it does concern me that the notion of a rookie QB should be our first fix. We should take the best player available - that's not a DB - and try to build depth w some veteran FAs.

Check this site out for a bdown of players projected to be available: http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/fa/ol.html

GO BILLS! COACH EM UP CHAN! THEY ARE STARVING FOR IT!!

Who says the QB we draft in the first would have to start from day 1? We can continue to build the O-line and let them gel before we put him in there. If a stud like Bradford is there at 9, we'd be silly to pass him up b/c of our O-line.

Guest dog14787
Who says the QB we draft in the first would have to start from day 1? We can continue to build the O-line and let them gel before we put him in there. If a stud like Bradford is there at 9, we'd be silly to pass him up b/c of our O-line.

Its more than that though, its the player we are not drafting to get the player we probably won't use for a couple of years.

Guest dog14787
I vote that we draft the best PLAYER available. In my opinion there isn't one position that the Bills couldn't use an impact player whether that is OL, DL, LB ---whatever. I just want the best player left at #9.

Unless its another CB :rolleyes:

This league is favorable to teams with good QBs. Have a good QB and you're guaranteed to be a contender for a long time. If you were to tell me that you think the QBs in this draft aren't to your liking, I could live with that, but to say that we shouldn't go after a QB until the o-line is fixed, I have a serious problem with that.

I know o-line is important, but the QB makes the o-line just as much as the o-line makes the QB.

Look at Peyton Manning and his offensive line. He has only been sacked 10 times this entire year. His starting offensive line consists of:

LT: Charlie Johnson: Drafted in the 6th round and he is starting over Tony Ugoh, who was a 2nd round pick.

LG; Ryan Lilja; Undrafted FA originally signed by KC

C: Jeff Saturday: Undrafted FA

RG: Kyle DeVan: Undrafted FA

RT: Rian Diem: 4th Round Pick

I got this information from the Colts official site.

Only 2 of their lineman have been drafted and the highest of those two was a 4th round pick?!

You don't need to draft an o-line to make this team better. You need to find a QB that can make quick reads and get rid of the ball faster as well as a coaching staff that can put together a system that will put the players in the best position to succeed.

ya, what he said. Plus our o-line is only 1 tackle away from being very solid we can draft that tackle in round 2