Another Draft Thought

Wizard

I love hearing everyone's free agent ideas (let's get Merriman, Kolb, Wilfork, Joe Montana, Barry Sanders :ph34r: ) However, let's be realistic with free agent thoughts and draft picks. No, we aren't getting Russell Okung or Suh in less we trade up.

I'm generally opposed to trading down, but I think most of are in agreeance that the best DT's, OT, and QB will probably be off the board at #9. (Suh, Gerald McCoy, Okung, Clausen/Bradford). The only realistic pick worth the #9 slot is McClain. This is who we should take.

However, here is a realistic scenario of the Bills getting some good value by trading down.

1. Trade pick #9 (Draft Value 1,350) to the 49er's for pick #17 (Draft Value 950). The 49er's send their second round pick #49 (Draft Value 410) in the exchange. Bills draft picks are valued now at 1,360 and 49er's at 1,350.

2. The Bills then have picks #17, #41, #48.

Pick #17 Terrence Cody (DT) An ideal pick, great value, reasonable to assume he will be around at #17 and the perfect start to a 3-4 switch.

Pick #41 Sergio Kindle (OLB 3-4) The Bills will need another linebacker with a switch to a 3-4. Mock Drafts rate Kindle between #'s 38-50.

Pick #49 Selvish Capers (LT) The Bills get a solid LT in the mid second round without having to dish out millions of dollars to a top 10 pick on the disputed second best LT in the draft behind Okung.

The Bills then can address a QB (LeFevour in round #3) and depth in rounds 4-7.

3. The 49er's with picks #9 and #13 can focus on their most pressing needs QB (Clausen?), OT (Baluga, Williams, or Campbell, or Davis), or they can go with a CB/S, another need.

This is a realistic way of the Bills building through the draft based on biggest needs. And, it makes sense for both the Bills and the 49er's as a likely and reasonable trade partner.

I love hearing everyone's free agent ideas (let's get Merriman, Kolb, Wilfork, Joe Montana, Barry Sanders :ph34r: ) However, let's be realistic with free agent thoughts and draft picks. No, we aren't getting Russell Okung or Suh in less we trade up.

I'm generally opposed to trading down, but I think most of are in agreeance that the best DT's, OT, and QB will probably be off the board at #9. (Suh, Gerald McCoy, Okung, Clausen/Bradford). The only realistic pick worth the #9 slot is McClain. This is who we should take.

However, here is a realistic scenario of the Bills getting some good value by trading down.

1. Trade pick #9 (Draft Value 1,350) to the 49er's for pick #17 (Draft Value 950). The 49er's send their second round pick #49 (Draft Value 410) in the exchange. Bills draft picks are valued now at 1,360 and 49er's at 1,350.

Pick #17 Terrence Cody (DT) An ideal pick, great value, reasonable to assume he will be around at #17 and the perfect start to a 3-4 switch.

Pick #41 Sergio Kindle (OLB 3-4) The Bills will need another linebacker with a switch to a 3-4. Mock Drafts rate Kindle between #'s 38-50.

Pick #49 Selvish Capers (LT) The Bills get a solid LT in the mid second round without having to dish out millions of dollars to a top 10 pick on the disputed second best LT in the draft behind Okung.

3. The 49er's with picks #9 and #13 can focus on their most pressing needs QB (Clausen?), OT (Baluga, Williams, or Campbell, or Davis), or they can go with a CB/S, another need.

This is a realistic way of the Bills building through the draft based on biggest needs. And, it makes sense for both the Bills and the 49er's as a likely and reasonable trade partner.

you have a good plan/strategery... I'm hoping they go big for LBs, Dline, Oline.

bring in a vet fa to compete w/ Brohm for starting qb spot.

You can trade down lower than 17 and still get Cody. The guy doesnt even play many downs in college.

Different Boards have QB's at different places. Here is our QB Board at DraftTek right now (before combine, before Senior Bowl). The first number is where they are on our Big Board.

4 *Sam Bradford - currently being picked #4, by WAS

9 *Jimmy Clausen - currently being picked #7, by CLE

18 Colt McCoy - currently being picked #30, by MIN

25 Tim Tebow - currently being picked #11, by JAX

71 Tony Pike - currently being picked #69, by OAK

102 *Jevan Snead - currently being picked #101, by SEA

119 Dan LeFevour - currently being picked #121, by ARI

127 Sean Canfield, Oregon State - currently being picked #128 by Rams

193 Jonathan Crompton, Tennessee - currently being picked #136 by BUF (way early for Crompton IMHO)

199 John Skelton, Fordham - still unpicked when Round 6 Starts

202 Jarrett Brown, WVU - still unpicked when Round 6 Starts

219 Bill Stull, Pittsburgh - still unpicked when Round 6 Starts

Further Down:

257 Tim Hiller Western Michigan

264 Mike Kafka Northwestern

290 Zac Robinson Oklahoma State

296 Joe Webb UAB

323 Max Hall BYU

371 Billy Cundiff Ashland

372 Ryan Perrilloux Jacksonville State

387 Matt Grothe South Florida

405 Daryll Clark Penn State

415 Kyle Reed San Jose State

434 Rusty Smith Florida Atlantic

465 Joe Cox Georgia

469 Isiah Williams Illinois

481 Todd Reesing Kansas

Can't we get a similar(at least on paper) player in Arthur Jones, DT from SU, in the 4th(perhaps) round? and focus on another stud(again, on paper)?

Can't we get a similar(at least on paper) player in Arthur Jones, DT from SU, in the 4th(perhaps) round? and focus on another stud(again, on paper)?

Jones wasn't as good at collapsing the pocket as McCoy and Brian Price. One disruptive later-on guy is Lamarr Houston, but I expected more from him in the Texas-Alabama game. Vince Oghobaase and Geno Atkins could come into play.

I love hearing everyone's free agent ideas (let's get Merriman, Kolb, Wilfork, Joe Montana, Barry Sanders :wallbash: ) However, let's be realistic with free agent thoughts and draft picks. No, we aren't getting Russell Okung or Suh in less we trade up.

The 49ers took Nate Davis in last year's draft. I don't see them going QB this year.

I love hearing everyone's free agent ideas (let's get Merriman, Kolb, Wilfork, Joe Montana, Barry Sanders :wallbash: ) However, let's be realistic with free agent thoughts and draft picks. No, we aren't getting Russell Okung or Suh in less we trade up.

I like the idea of trading down to build a team. Parcells does a good job of that.

I don't see the 49ers trading down.

I like Cody in the middle but we still have a glaring weakness at mlb and olb.

Though Poz made some picks at the end of last season he is a huge liability and doesn't possess the power needed to intimidate. I would like to see McClain in the middle.

We need 2 LB's from the draft.

Capers is a decent 2nd round choice. Realistically I think trading down may be more sensible with our 2nd round pick as opposed to our 1st or have more than one trade down.