Gailey's Coaching Staff (Good Al Wilson article - Buffalo News)

Didn't see this anywhere, thought I would throw it out there for everybody...

http://www.buffalonews.com/494/story/929617.html

Picking defensive coordinator is a priority for Bills' Gailey

Choice of 3-4 or 4-3 is major factor

• Offensive line: Gailey's position coach in Dallas was Hudson Houck, who is on Wade Phillips' Cowboys staff. Houck is one of the best in the business, but the Cowboys could block any interview request.

You shouldn't be cutting and posting full articles here.

In any case, I agree the choice of DC is very important. I want a DC who is flexible. It is unlikely that, if we are switching from the Cover-2, then we will get all the required personnel for the new scheme all in one year. We may have to run a hybrid scheme this year with what we have and acquire then shift to a full version of the 3-4 or 4-3. So, an inflexible guy will not make it work this year.

By the way

• Offensive line: Gailey's position coach in Dallas was Hudson Houck

:ph34r: (I am sure I am the first one to snicker at this name, absolutely the first)

It was a good move for Miami. And Nolan gets to coach in Miami with an already-established 3-4 defense. That being said, here's to the Bills kicking their arses twice a year!

Forgive me if already asked....but could we offer him title of asst head coach/def coordinator?

"The people that we're going to attract probably won't have the names that somebody might recognize right off the bat," he said. "We're going to get the best teachers — the best people to help fit into a program. Everybody's not the superstar on the team. Everybody's got a role on the team. We're going to get the best people to come in here and be a part of our organization to help us build a winner."

Another contradictory statement by the Nix/Gailey team. And like the others, they are an obvious attempt to lower fan expectations while maintaining the we're going to build a winner spin. ...

The status quo has not changed. :ph34r::wallbash::doh:<_<:wallbash:

Actually, Wilson (and by extension you) are misinterpreting that quote. When Gailey said that he was referring to the Offensive Coordinator position. I forget the direct question asked by the reporter, but it was something along the lines of, "If you're going to be calling the plays how do you expect to hire a big named offensive coordinator to just hold a clip board" ...

That's who Gailey is referring to in that quote -- the Offensive Coordinator. And that makes sense since Gailey will be performing that duty for the team as well as being the HC. He did NOT say, nor even imply, that the Bills were going to hire an unknown to be the Defensive Coordinator.

Actually, Wilson (and by extension you) are misinterpreting that quote. When Gailey said that he was referring to the Offensive Coordinator position. I forget the direct question asked by the reporter, but it was something along the lines of, "If you're going to be calling the plays how do you expect to hire a big named offensive coordinator to just hold a clip board" ...

That's who Gailey is referring to in that quote -- the Offensive Coordinator. And that makes sense since Gailey will be performing that duty for the team as well as being the HC. He did NOT say, nor even imply, that the Bills were going to hire an unknown to be the Defensive Coordinator.

Stop it, you - with your fancy lies and facts.

for purely selfish reasons, here is someone I would love to see rejoin Chan Gailey's staff, he is currently at Cal Poly SLO...he is a family friend and from Central NY(Baldwinsville school district I believe)

Bryan Cook, 33, compiled a 28-22-1 record in four seasons at West Point Prep in Fort Monmouth, N.J., including an 8-2 mark in 2008 and a 7-3 record in 2006. His teams competed against several top-10 community colleges and prep schools and the 2008 squad earned the Commander’s Award for Civilian Service.

He was defensive coordinator in the successful 2004 prep campaign, his first on post, achieving a 6-3 record with victories over Air Force Prep and Navy Prep. That squad gave up just 15.4 points and 233 yards per game.

Before joining the staff of former Army coach Bobby Ross in 2004, Cook served on staff at Georgia Tech for three seasons. The Yellow Jackets went to three consecutive bowl games during his time. In 2003 he coached the safeties, led by James Butler (NY Giants) and Dawan Landry (Ravens). Coaching the tight ends in 2002 he tutored NFL tight ends J.P. Foschi (Raiders) and Will Heller (Seahawks). During the 2001 season, Cook worked with the defensive backs and special teams for former Ross assistant George O’Leary.

Prior coaching stints involved stops at Lafayette College (2000, defensive assistant), and Ithaca College (1999, wide receivers). He was a four-year Dean’s List student at Ithaca, earning his bachelor’s degree in health and physical education in December 1998, graduating Magna Cum Laude, and completing his master’s degree in exercise science in September 2000.

As a Bomber, he lettered in both football and lacrosse, earning all-conference honors in lacrosse as a defenseman. A starting strong safety on the gridiron, Ithaca captured ECAC Championships in 1996 and 1998. He is originally from upstate New York and is married to his wife Julia.

One guy who has not been mentioned whatsoever, and I know it's because there would have to be an "assistant head coach" type of title tagged on to him because otherwise it would be a lateral move, is Dom Capers. I know his name took somewhat of a dive after that stellar ( :ph34r: ) Packers defensive performance in the Wild Card round, but on the season, he did a terrific job transforming them into a very solid unit.

More importantly, he is a master of the aggressive 3-4. Gailey and Capers just missed each other in Pittsburgh, as Capers had already been hired by the Panthers a year before they started play when Gailey first got to the Steelers.

You shouldn't be cutting and posting full articles here.

I didn't post the full article...if you take the time to read it, you would notice that. I just posted the key points.

I also quoted it/cited it, gave credit for, the entire article. I posted the link. I included the reporter's name/newspaper name.

:ph34r:

Didn't see this anywhere, thought I would throw it out there for everybody...

http://www.buffalonews.com/494/story/929617.html

By Allen Wilson

Buffalo News Sports Reporter

Updated: January 20, 2010, 11:39 PM

EDIT: It said "News Sports Reporter"...so I fixed it and included "Buffalo."