We are playing a 3-4 Defense

nd03

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what i'm reading, CG isn't opposed to it and will wait to see what they bring in from the draft to make the decision

Waiting for the draft would be too late. You have to plan for this switch headed into FA and then you will have your "grocery list" for the draft. Probably loading up on LB's and a true nose tackle.

The difference between a 3-4 and a 4-3 isn't that dramatic IMO. There are some subtle differences that require different talents (for example, a dominant NT required for a 3-4) but the schemes are similar enough that IMO a great defense should be able to run both in a single game.

I remember back in the mid-90s we had a slew of LB injuries so Wade Phillips turned us from a 3-4 to a 4-3 in one week's time. We played Miami that week and Marino was LOST against a defense they hadn't prepared for.

Why can't this be the case every week? IMO it can and should be part of any good defensive system. Throw in some forty six for even more diversity and watch opposing offenses panic.

Doubt it's been decided yet. Unfortunately, this isn't like Shanahan going to the Redskins, where you can be pretty sure that he has been watching film on that team for months. Gailey really is just getting up to speed, and since all of the assistants are long gone, he's going to have to do it himself to start.

Total speculation here, it will depend on who Gailey hires as his DC. The personnel already on this team would favor a 4-3, just hopefully not the Tamap 2.

From a poster after he read this article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ough-for-bills/

# Big Stretch says: January 20, 2010 10:55 AM

Already talking about changing the Defense in Buffalo. Gailey must be trying to alienate the last 50 people who think his hiring was a good idea.

Read it, doubt the Bills will use a 3-4. Nix just says he likes it

I just see we are weak in moving this way. No NT, only one DT/DE, need 2 new ILB and Poz goes to outside not sure Mitchell can play middle in 3 -4

I'd prefer them to stay at a 4-3. Poz is not a fit outside in a 3-4 at all and in my opinion he and Mitchell would have to be the inside backers. Maybin would be ideal at OLB and between Stroud, Johnson, Williams, and McCargo I would hope they could fill the two DE positions. Only spots that would need players not on the roster would be one of the OLB spots and the NT. I'm not sure if its worth creating more needs however on a team with so many holes already.

Why are you pretty sure? What have you heard?

I can't speak for the OP, but while listening to the radio yesterday I heard Vic Carucci say that the Bills were switching to a 3-4. He said there are those high up in the organization--either Nix or Wilson--who have decided a 3-4 is the way to go. Which goes a long way to explaining Gailey's "openness" to the idea.

While it is not for certain yet what type of defense the Bills will run, Maybin would indeed move to LBer in a 3-4 situation.

I would think that if we move to a 3-4 this would be the front 7 line up (until we get all the pieces)

RDE Stroud

NT (draft pick) Mt. Cody (alabama)

LDE S. Johnson/Williams

ROLB Schobel

ILB Poz

ILB Mitchell

LOLB Maybin

we def need an off LT w our first pick, but this is a good draft for NTs too. who knows, maybe we can land a Wolfork, Hampton or Franklin (49ers) in free agency. another player on the radar fo LDE has to be Johnny Jolly. wishful thinking, but also correct thinking...

I can't speak for the OP, but while listening to the radio yesterday I heard Vic Carucci say that the Bills were switching to a 3-4. He said there are those high up in the organization--either Nix or Wilson--who have decided a 3-4 is the way to go. Which goes a long way to explaining Gailey's "openness" to the idea.

Ok, thanks.

I would think that if we move to a 3-4 this would be the front 7 line up (until we get all the pieces)

RDE Stroud

NT (draft pick) Mt. Cody (alabama)

LDE S. Johnson/Williams

ROLB Schobel

ILB Poz

ILB Mitchell

LOLB Maybin

we def need an off LT w our first pick, but this is a good draft for NTs too. who knows, maybe we can land a Wolfork, Hampton or Franklin (49ers) in free agency. another player on the radar fo LDE has to be Johnny Jolly. wishful thinking, but also correct thinking...

Cody isn't an every-down player. if we go to 3-4, get NT free agent, use your draft pick on McClain for ILB.