Just say NO to drafting a 1st rd QB!!!!

Poeticlaw

As much as everyone is infactuated with Bradford, Tebow, Claussen (sp) we do not need to draft a first Rd Qb. We need a LB/OT/DT more then an unproven QB.

I am not opposed to Brohm. As much as i Dislike his play I am not Opposed to TrentHe does show great accurracy and with some one with some actual offense expereince could improve his play. I am not a fan of TRent as I am not a fan of BRady But living in NE I have seen first hand what Brady started of at he had the same complaints by the fan base as Trent has. I am not saying that Trent is Brady but I will tell you that My freind a Die hard Pat Fan and Brady Lover sees Brady in Trent. I think with an experience guy in here for the offense that the QBS we have on the roster stand a chance. I would rather Trade for Mcnabb and draft a QB next year. But to waste our valuable first round pick on a QB is not very smart. We do not know if they can play and they typically take 2-3 years before we find out if they can. We have other pressing needs to address with our HIGH first rd pick then to waste Millions on a QB that might not work.

Once the lines are Built and we still prove to need a QB after this season draft one next year. I actually think Brohm could be groomable better then any of the first round picks we can get and Trent might be ressurrectable.

Living in NE I agree that Trent is something like Brady early in his career. But I think the concussion may have ruined Trent permanently. You can't blame his regression all on the OL. Jim Kelly, who knows something about QBing, has personally moved on from Trent and feels the Bills need to have someone else at QB instead of Trent.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have far too many needs at too many positions to have the luxury of a 1st round QB pick. It's just a numbers game. You really have the confidence in that front office to get 2 starting OT, 2 starting LB's, a DT, 2WR, and QB in 1 offseason?

Seems completely unlikely. We need some hard, heavy hitting, huge football players. I don't care how high character, hard working, high motor, good in the community, great date for your sister, scored a great Wonderlic they are, I want mean, physical, strong, and mentally tough football players. If there's one thing Jauron loved, was the "smallish," white, hard working, great locker room guys (Leonard, Corto, Ellison, practically the entire Bills Defensive line).

I want a huge OLB, T, or DT in round 1. Just get me a huge mean guy. That's all. I really don't care if he beats up his girlfriend, deals drugs, drives drunk, or has any other major character flaws. Just don't get in trouble when you sign your deal, and play hard on Sundays. I don't have any kids, and I certainly don't need NFL players to be my role model.

Worry about QB when we have some talent.

I think they should get stud OT or D-lineman in round 1, and if they aren't convinced that Brohm can suffice for at least one year then see which QBs are available in Round 2. A 1st round QB will do nothing to improve this team in the short-run, and in fact would be a wasted pick this year. 1st round lineman (unless of course said lineman is Mike Williams!!) tend to start and have a much greater impact as rookies than QBs do. With all the question marks attached to so many of the big name QBs coming out, there is quite likely going to be at least one left at the 41st slot (Bills 2nd round pick).

So what would make a QB a safe pick in round 1?

I'm curious as to what scouts had to say about Aikman, Manning, and Big Ben when they where drafted

As I recall (and feel free to google the old scouting reports), Aikman and Manning were at the top of just about everyone's scouting list. There were a couple that had Leaf higher than Manning. As I recall Aikman at the top was unanimous. As for Big Ben again, if memory serves, he was rated behind E. Manning and Rivers according to the scouts. We came close to gettting him but couldn't pull the trade to move up a couple slots to get him in front of the Steelers. Damn!

GO BILLS!!!

As I recall, none of the three you mention (Aikman, P. Manning and Big Ben) had the question marks that Tebow, Bradford, Claussen or Pike had.

The fact is there is no "sure thing when it comes to 1st round QBS - even when they are "sure things". If so , how does a Marino go 27th after Todd Blackledge and Tony Eason, (not to mention Elway and Kelly). And how does Montana go in the 3rd round and Brady in the 6th round. While Akili Smith, Alex Smith, and JP Losman all go in the 1st round.

As I recall, none of the three you mention (Aikman, P. Manning and Big Ben) had the question marks that Tebow, Bradford, Claussen or Pike had.

The fact is there is no "sure thing when it comes to 1st round QBS - even when they are "sure things". If so , how does a Marino go 27th after Todd Blackledge and Tony Eason, (not to mention Elway and Kelly). And how does Montana go in the 3rd round and Brady in the 6th round. While Akili Smith, Alex Smith, and JP Losman all go in the 1st round.

I agree with your overall point, but imo, this franchise needs to stop d*cking around with the QB position and make a move for a premier talent and stop trying to find that 3rd/4th round stud that everyone passed up. At 9, there's a somewhat decent chance that either Bradford or Clausen will be there. If one of them is, we can't pass it up. (imo)

Bull ****. It is WELL past time to cut the BS and get a damn QB in here. I am sick of weak armed, weak minded POS' pushed on this fanbase and holding this team back.

We need a GOD DAMN QB!!!!

THe last thing anyone would call Brohm is weak armed...the only QB in his draft year with a stronger arm was Flacco and it wasnt by much...

Brohm is the equivalent of a high pick who has yet to get a full shot to play, so why is everyone so sure we still need to draft one, especially when this years QB crop isnt very impressive?

Bring in a vet or trade for McNabb if you want to have more certainty this year at QB, dont draft one high when we need to go OT early or LB/DL and give Brohm a chance to show he can be our guy for the future or not before you waste a HUGE contract on a questionable first round QB...

So what would make a QB a safe pick in round 1?

I'm curious as to what scouts had to say about Aikman, Manning, and Big Ben when they where drafted

I really doubt there is a safe pick meaning one whose chances of success are so great that picking him outweighs the possibility of disaster if he turns out like 50% or more of 1st round choices he is 50/50 to start in his first year. The conventional wisdom is that a 1st round pick will become a reliable starter his first year. I know for the couple of years I looked at in detail (one of which was generally agreed to be a very strong draft) only a hair above 50% of these players were first on the depth chart at their position for the team which drafted them in their second season.

Even a choice like a McKelvin who was not starting material for the Bills in his first year was still a contributor to the tea, on ST. A QB either starts or sits. Even worse you probably pay a premium for this player who is 50/50 to contribute.

As far as those 3, Aikman and Manning were rated to be likely franchise players when they came out of college. But then so was Ryan Leaf who was taken the pick after Manning so the crapshoot the draft really is is true for a QB as well. RoboQB was a consensus 1st round choice but no one had him QBing a team to an SB as a rookie. Then again no one had Brady QBing a team to an SB win his sophomore.

Tebow, Clausen and Bradford are all highly thought of in this draft, yet none of them is a consensus choice to be a franchise choice worthy of a team in need of immediate contribution at several positions. The simple fact of past experience is that a 1st round QB choice virtually at best sets back our recovery time for a year while this youngster learns the game even if he works out (which he may well not).

If this team wants to get good the fastest then it seems a far more doable strategy to build the more likely immediate contribution from drafting another position than QB but instead find your franchise QB in the manner more likely that other teams have used like a late round pick, in FA, or even a trade.

I agree with your overall point, but imo, this franchise needs to stop d*cking around with the QB position and make a move for a premier talent and stop trying to find that 3rd/4th round stud that everyone passed up. At 9, there's a somewhat decent chance that either Bradford or Clausen will be there. If one of them is, we can't pass it up. (imo)

We cant pass them up? Why? Brohm has better tools than either of those guys and would have been drafted ahead of them if they were in the same draft...so how are you so certain when we need to draft one without gving Brohm a chance to show what he can do with the new coaches?

I think with a new regime, we need to change our ways. Draft a 1st round QB! We need a franchise player, a vocal leader, a legit Quarterback that has the size, mechanics, and toughness to be a great QB. After we get that, I do agree with you then we need to start building the OL. But we need a solid franchise QB.

We cant pass them up? Why? Brohm has better tools than either of those guys and would have been drafted ahead of them if they were in the same draft...so how are you so certain when we need to draft one without gving Brohm a chance to show what he can do with the new coaches?

Better tools? how so? Not height...not size...really not arm strength. How about mentally? Brohm has already shown to be in a bit over his head in the nfl...Bradford almost matched Brohm's entire collegiate numbers in his Junior year alone..It's amazing how quickly people forget things.

Better tools? how so? Not height...not size...really not arm strength. How about mentally? Brohm has already shown to be in a bit over his head in the nfl...Bradford almost matched Brohm's entire collegiate numbers in his Junior year alone..It's amazing how quickly people forget things.

Please explain how he has shown to be over his head even though he has only played in one game...not to mention, the GB HC said no player in his entire career has ever grasped a playbook faster than Brohm.

And his arm is bigger than any in the draft, the only reason you doubt it is becuase all you know about Brohm is that he came from the GB practice squad. Based on college resumes (as thats all we have to go on) he is more accurate, has a bigger arm, and is as intelligent if not more intelligent than any QB in this draft.

PS: LOL at the fact you sight size as why the QB's in the draft have better skills...his size is more than sufficient to play in the NFL, and size is near the bottom of the list of intangibles that have the greater impact on NFL success...so who cares about size when his size is just fine to begin with

Okung (who will be gone), Davis (who might be), Williams (who might be), Bulaga, Campbell. There, that's five.

I'm a Rutgers alum and watch every rutgers game. Drafting Davis at 9 (who's probably better suited for Guard in the NFL) would be insane.

Bulaga at 9? Joke.

Trent Williams at 9? Joke.

I'm intrigued by Campbell, but only saw him play once...Okung to me, wouuld be the only premier talent for us to draft at 9..but he won't be there.

So unless you plan to trade down, are you really going to draft a LT in the first?

Please explain how he has shown to be over his head even though he has only played in one game...not to mention, the GB HC said no player in his entire career has ever grasped a playbook faster than Brohm.

And his arm is bigger than any in the draft, the only reason who doubt it is becuase all you know about Brohm is that he came from the GB practice squad. Based on college resumes (as thats all we have to go on) he is more accurate, has a bigger arm, and is as intelligent if not more intelligent than any QB in this draft.

PS: LOL at the fact you sight size as why the QB's in the draft have better skills...his size is more than sufficient to play in the NFL, and size is near the bottom of the list of intangibles that have the greater impact on NFL success...so who cares about size when his size is just fine to begin with

Alphadawg..Brohm said himself he was in over his head in Green Bay..i didn't say that, HE DID. You can go find the quote somewhere.

Alphadawg..Brohm said himself he was in over his head in Green Bay..i didn't say that, HE DID. You can go find the quote somewhere.

LOL, so a rookie QB in his rookie year takes a year to adjust to the pro game and you assume he is permanently over his head? In that same quote he also said its completely different now and is ready to compete...come on bro, you want to condem a high draft pick becuase he didnt adjust fast enough his rookie year to the speed and complexity to the game while playing the most complicated position in all of professional sports?