Gailey vs. Levy

I know I'm probably the biggest lurker here, and I don't have much to add, BUT maybe we should reserve a little judgment on this hire. I was just wondering if people's reactions were this bad when Ralph hired a head coach whose previous head coaching record was 31 and 42 for a .425 winning percentage and whose team never finished higher than 3rd in their division Not all that impressive if you ask me. I say let's give the guy a little chance before passing judgment. Just my two cents

Go ahead and flame away.

I know I'm probably the biggest lurker here,

Wow, how big are you?-)

I don't know if the reaction would have been the same (read: as bad). I think a lot of this has to do with pent up frustration, not only from the last decade, but even from the SB years. From around the time of Ronnie Harmon's drop, being a fan of this team has been like living in the Twilight Zone. I don't think any other franchise in any pro sport has ever endured a 20 year stretch like the one we have.

Remember Bill Polian ? I think he was the reason Marv had such a good career in Buffalo.

And Bill Polian's resume wasn't all that impressive when he started as GM of the Bills.

All I'm saying is if Buddy / Chan does half as well as Polian / Levy, it's STILL better than what we've had the past 10 years.

Wow, how big are you?-)

I don't know if the reaction would have been the same (read: as bad). I think a lot of this has to do with pent up frustration, not only from the last decade, but even from the SB years. From around the time of Ronnie Harmon's drop, being a fan of this team has been like living in the Twilight Zone. I don't think any other franchise in any pro sport has ever endured a 20 year stretch like the one we have.

Go compare to the Detroit Lions. It could be worse.

Go compare to the Detroit Lions. It could be worse.

I didn't mean worst, I meant most bizarre; hence the Twilight Zone comment. From losing 4 straight championship games (never been done), to being losing test cases for weird NFL contracts, to the MCM, to Just Give it to 'em, MNF vs Dallas, penalties on Hail Mary's, losing season openers in truly absurd fashion, 5-0 to 7-9, and on and on and on. It's just been !@#$ing weird for a looooong time.

I know I'm probably the biggest lurker here, and I don't have much to add, BUT maybe we should reserve a little judgment on this hire. I was just wondering if people's reactions were this bad when Ralph hired a head coach whose previous head coaching record was 31 and 42 for a .425 winning percentage and whose team never finished higher than 3rd in their division Not all that impressive if you ask me. I say let's give the guy a little chance before passing judgment. Just my two cents

Go ahead and flame away.

was there a guy like Marty Schottenheimer around that the Bills passed on to hire Levy at that time?

was there a guy like Marty Schottenheimer around that the Bills passed on to hire Levy at that time?

Why would we want someone like Schottenheimer? What has he done to suggest he'd bring high quality coaching to the Bills' offense? His KC offenses were dull and unproductive. He was the Chargers' head coach in the years leading up to, and during, the decision that Drew Brees was not the answer at quarterback. The Chargers' front office gave Schottenheimer lemonade, and he found a way to turn it into lemons.

Go ahead and flame away.

When Marv was hired, the internet did not exist as it does today, so we can never know...but I seem to recall, most were less than thrilled. That said, much as I love Marv Levy, that era of Bills football was one of those "perfect storms" where nearly everything worked for the Bills... it can't be overstated how important Bill Polian was in all of that, and how lucky the Bills were to have him. It was the one time where Mr Wilson's thriftiness was awarded... Ralph couldn't get out of his own way though, so that era had to end...

When Bills hired the former headcoach of KC I though it was Hank Stram. When I was told it was Marv Levy, I said who in the hell is that.

I distinctly remember watching a Bills pre-season game that year (summer 1986) with a buddy of mine... the Bills looked horrible, and Marv Levy was doing the color commentating on the broadcast. Marv sounded like a real nerd...I remember my buddy going off on a rant saying "Fugg... Hank Bullough is the biggest embarassment of head coach, and you know Wilson will replace him with anther ass clown like this guy (meaning Marv)...where will it end?"

As it turns out, it doesn't end... :blink:

When Bills hired the former headcoach of KC I though it was Hank Stram. When I was told it was Marv Levy, I said who in the hell is that.

LOL- When they announced they were hiring the former headcoach of Dallas, did you think it was Jimmy Johnson? Or Tom Landry?

I was a little younger then, but I remember feeling ho hum about the Levy hiring.

I like the fact that Gailey has developed QBs in the past. I've been so sick of our :blink: offense that at least that side of the ball is likely going to improve. If he can lure in a quality DC then I'll feel a whole lot better with this hire.

Go ahead and flame away.

If Nix can draft/sign a top ten, ten year QB then the Gailey hiring will make him look like a genius. Hopefully the 2010 quarterback class is closer to the 2004 class than the 2002 class.