if it's Gailey, then who QB's?

robkmil

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

with the receivers teh cheifs had, would you?

Tony Gonzales was pretty good. Of course I probably wouldn't love the idea of throwing over the middle with the QB's they had.

it just seems like the best passing offenses pick apart the middle - the Pats, Colts, Cards, and Packers - it's their bread and butter. I hope with Gailey it was a practical choice rather than a philosophical one.

Who plays WR in a spread in Buffalo? Evans-Hardy-Johnson-Jenkins?

Fred Jackson would be a good rb for it also the TE's would probably be better built for this style. Nelson, Schouman, Stupar. It wil be interesting since he has used both spread and a tight run-first aproach

I really don't like the part where it says he doesn't like to use the middle of the field.

Agreed.

I did like this, though:

"The decision to relieve Gailey of his position has nothing to do with the quality of the man’s work or his competence. Gailey is one of the best offensive minds in the game. On top of that, there are not many better people in the game of football. He’s the personification of class, something Haley acknowledged on Monday."

REALLY??? There is no possible explanation for the Chan Gailey hiring other than that the organization is completely

inept and could find no remotely reasonable candidate that would take the job.

This is truly a joke at the same level (or worse) than the Raiders hiring Lane Kiffin, moving him from USC OC

to NFL HC.

It won't do anything for the Bills' current QBs because there isn't a remotely viable starting-calibre NFL QB on the

roster.

I thought something similar when I read about the possible hiring of Gailey. I looked for info. on the internet about him and came up with these articles that make me feel a lot better about the hiring.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/1/28/73...r-chan-gailey-a

Gailey's success as a head coach has largely been forgotten or underrated. He spent 2 years manning the Dallas Cowboys until Jerry Jones prematurely fired him.

"I regret just giving Chan [Gailey] two years," said Jones, the Cowboys' owner and general manager. "When you really look at what he's done since he's left here and look at what he had done here – he took us to the playoffs twice. And I'm not talking about the fairness of it. I'm just talking about how I should have worked hard on some things where we could've made adjustments that were meaningful."

So, Jerry Jones, a guy willing to do whatever it takes to succeed, admits he made a mistake in firing Chan Gailey after just two seasons.

And why does Jones regret that move? Because Gailey's teams reached the playoffs both years, winning the NFC East with a 10-6 record in 1998. His two year stint left him with a head coaching record 4 games above .500.

Gailey, in an organization that was on the verge of overhauling its identity from the days of the triplets (Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin were nearing the end of their careers while Emmitt Smith was nearing the end of his productive years), demonstrated an ability to competently play the hand that was given to him. And play it well, mind you.

In contrast, Dave Campo took over after Gailey was dismissed and brought the team just 15 wins in 3 years, 3 less than Gailey's total in 2 years.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...de.37dd692.html

Gailey is a footnote in Cowboys history: the fourth coach in franchise history, one with an 18-14 record, an NFC East title in 1998 and no playoff wins.

But as the Cowboys move into 2009 with Wade Phillips for a third year, Jones' misgivings about his decision to fire Gailey cannot be overlooked.

http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-foot...ley_chan00.html

Gailey coached the Yellow Jackets to bowl games in each of his first five seasons on the Flats, the only head coach in Georgia Tech's storied history to do so. With Tech's trip to the 2007 Toyota Gator Bowl, Gailey's Yellow Jackets achieved a feat unprecedented in school history with their 10th consecutive bowl berth. Prior to its current streak, Tech's longest bowl string was six in a row from 1951-56 under legendary head coach Bobby Dodd.

Georgia Tech is one of just six schools in the nation to earn a bowl bid each of the last 10 years, an elite group that also includes Florida State, Virginia Tech, Florida, Georgia and Michigan.

In 2006, the Jackets recorded their 10th consecutive winning season-all with seven or more wins-the school's longest string since Tech had 18 straight winning seasons from 1908-25 under John Heisman and William Alexander. The Rambling Wreck also posted a conference record of .500 or better for the 12th consecutive year, a feat unmatched by any ACC school and achieved by only three other schools in the nation.

This article talks about Galley's passing offense halfway down the page.

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/ha...html#more-10279

Two nuggets from your article:

"Gailey is one of the best offensive minds in the game. On top of that, there are not many better people in the game of football. He’s the personification of class...."

"[Gailey] didn’t like to call plays where the pass went over the middle and that he was conservative in his passing game approach."

The most mobile QB in the Top 10 is probably LeFevour. I think Zac Robinson isn't accurate enough, but he's mobile.

The best passers to the flat in the draft class is Bradford (before injury) and McCoy (before injury in championship).

REALLY??? There is no possible explanation for the Chan Gailey hiring other than that the organization is completely

inept and could find no remotely reasonable candidate that would take the job.

This is truly a joke at the same level (or worse) than the Raiders hiring Lane Kiffin, moving him from USC OC

to NFL HC.

It won't do anything for the Bills' current QBs because there isn't a remotely viable starting-calibre NFL QB on the

roster.

Yeah a complete joke. You know what is a joke, our team not being in the playoffs for 10 years, Superbowl in 16. AT LEAST this guy has proven he can lead a team one way or another into the playoffs.

If Gailey is hired don't be surprised to see Tim Tebow in a Bills uniform because he fits Gailey's spread offense system perfectly and Buddy Nix's specialty is scouting players from the South. If this turns out to be true then the good ol boy network will be in full effect.

If we draft Tebow then I'm ok with it, even if it fails it will be interesting and newsworthy.

There are a lot of good opinions and facts listed about Chan Gailey and the potential of him being the new HC for the Bills. I think of Marv Levy and when he came on board. His teams were the result of good draft picks and of making great trades for valuable personnel (Bennett). IMO - Chan Gailey might have learned from his mistakes since the last time he was in the NFL but more importantly, the Bills need to pick the right people out of the draft. Look at how many busts the Bills have had in the last 10 years! Hopefully, Nix will fix that area and I have a strange feeling that Tebow will be our future. He is built like Jim Kelly and has the right passion and personality for the game. One thing for sure, if he can't make the throw, he is a capable runner. He will take the hits too if the line isn't great. The concussion worries me a bit. I am sure there are other great QBs out there, but I pray that the staff does its homework prior to the draft.

PS - Being doused with 50 gallons of Holy water couldn't resurrect Edwards' career. <----awesome

If Gailey is hired don't be surprised to see Tim Tebow in a Bills uniform because he fits Gailey's spread offense system perfectly and Buddy Nix's specialty is scouting players from the South. If this turns out to be true then the good ol boy network will be in full effect.

How long before the team name gets changed to the "Buffalo Bubbas"???!!

Being doused with 50 gallons of Holy water couldn't resurrect Edwards' career. JMO.

:w00t:

Supposedly, Gailey is a run first smash mouth kinda guy. Any QB in a system like that, IMO, doesn't need grand skills. Gailey has done a lot with a little at the QB position in the past. Somebody posted the QB's he's worked with somewhere here. I can't find it now.

I also like the smashmouth style of offense for this division. The best way to beat NE* is to keep TB off the field. If Sanchez turns out to be a great QB the same will apply to him. Smashmouth usually keeps the ball longer, when successful, and that gives the D a lot of time to rest.

I guess I'll let you guys figure out how I can constantly run down Scott Pioli and then turn around and use him to make a point but Pioli wanted Gailey kept in KC.

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/ha...html#more-10279

There needs to be some soul searching on the part of both Haley and Scott Pioli on what’s happened. Haley was encouraged to keep Gailey on his staff by Pioli.

Also from that article;

The decision to relieve Gailey of his position has nothing to do with the quality of the man’s work or his competence. Gailey is one of the best offensive minds in the game. On top of that, there are not many better people in the game of football. He’s the personification of class, something Haley acknowledged on Monday.

If he can win consistently then the Bills might have Marv Levy part deux. I'd much rather be a formidable team with a high class coach than a formidable team with Belichick. JMO