Fire them all

Simple concept, yet most wont follow it. Ideally we would have at least 3-4 parties. We don't and frankly we probably never will. So simply vote out any incumbent. It really is that easy, if we do this (not that most will) the parties that be will be forced to pay attention. If every incumbent lost the shock would force them to pay attention. But go on voting for the same sad people who have been ripping you off for years.

Voters and politicians want fundamentally different things: Voters want someone to address their "today" problems and anticipate tomorrow's. Politicians ONLY want voters to make politicians perennial incumbents at the power-and-influence table.

Once an incumbent is reelected, he/she transforms from an officeholder to a politician and there is no looking back!

Yeah, I get it, you are totally into the Republicans. So do you think they would fix things if we gave them say 6 years of near total power?

No, not really. I'm just totally not into the liberal left.

And you think the lock on control of government that the Dems have now is a good thing?

God no, I want them all gone and a complete reboot. Did you miss the premise of this thread?

No. I'd like a house cleaning too. But it doesn't work like that.

People who lust for power are the ones who are attracted to political office.

So we'd be in relatively the same boat in short order.

The only difference might be a lack of short-term power to ram down an agenda that Americans in large part do not want.

The digression was my comment on HRP. In my view he was personally going after GHWB and was not interested in forming a viable third party.

The only difference might be a lack of short-term power to ram down an agenda that Americans in large part do not want.

The digression was my comment on HRP. In my view he was personally going after GHWB and was not interested in forming a viable third party.

I disagree. They poll everything. They study election results. If incumbents lost a ton of elections (not all just say 10% more than expected) it would serve as a wake up call. They can't all be crooks.

I don't know enough to comment on whether Perot had a hard on for GHWB.

Perot did a nice job a presenting problems and solutions with actual numbers and facts. What a concept. It's ridiculous that we don't demand more of that from politicians. Managing to the numbers.

Perot did a nice job a presenting problems and solutions with actual numbers and facts. What a concept. It's ridiculous that we don't demand more of that from politicians. Managing to the numbers.

Who needs numbers when Jesus guides you or you can pander to the crowd by sticking it to the fat-cat bankers?

Who needs numbers when Jesus guides you or you can pander to the crowd by sticking it to the fat-cat bankers?

I think most would agree (for various reasons) our government is irresponsible at least.

So give us your answer Tom, serious question, how do we fix this?

I think most would agree (for various reasons) our government is irresponsible at least.

No response for 1.5 hours....

This is the real problem: all we have been hearing for the last 10 years is what is wrong. And, now that it's time to solve problems, instead of just define them, nobody has anything to say, or, they want pandering/hand out solutions that do more vilifying than solving. Fundamentally, its a heck of a lot easier to complain than to actually participate in the process. We all know this.

It seems clear, to me anyway, that the current, self-imposed condition the Democrats find themselves in has everything to do with complaining for 10 years, and then not being able to get the job done when they get their chance. They had a chance to do the right things right. Instead, they CHOSE to make this a one-sided, punishment campaign. And, nobody likes that. They are in the process of chewing up all the good will/credibility they had.

Consider:

The health care bill would have been a much easier thing to pass if it had 2 things:

1. Tort Reform

2. Interstate competition

Why doesn't it? What is wrong with these 2 simple and fundamental reforms that scream "common sense"? Because the trial lawyers own the Democrats, and, because a lot of unions OWN the health insurance companies in a lot of instances. Why do you think they aren't taxing the union health care plans? They don't want real competition because they would lose money/be run out of the business.

This means that they aren't here to create REAL solutions to REAL problems. And that's why your question can't be answered by political people. They aren't going to work for a holistic solution that asks some from every group, and gives something out to each group as well. The Democrats proved that it's far easier to sit on the sidelines, complain about everything every day, all the time, and then eventually re-gain power....Now, the Republicans are doing the same thing.

The real enemy here isn't the people...it's the tactics they employ. We need to wise up and see the tactics for what they are, punish those who use them(kinda like how we punished Molson Golden, and are currently punishing conner :lol: ), and reward those that don't.

I honestly don't think we do. It's a problem with American society as a whole, that's focused too narrowly on instant gratification and superficiality. We'd need a major socio-economic upheaval on par with the Great Depression to begin to address this.

No response for 1.5 hours....

This is the real problem: all we have been hearing for the last 10 years is what is wrong. And, now that it's time to solve problems, instead of just define them, nobody has anything to say, or, they want pandering/hand out solutions that do more vilifying than solving. Fundamentally, its a heck of a lot easier to complain than to actually participate in the process. We all know this.

It seems clear, to me anyway, that the current, self-imposed condition the Democrats find themselves in has everything to do with complaining for 10 years, and then not being able to get the job done when they get their chance. They had a chance to do the right things right. Instead, they CHOSE to make this a one-sided, punishment campaign. And, nobody likes that. They are in the process of chewing up all the good will/credibility they had.

Consider:

The health care bill would have been a much easier thing to pass if it had 2 things:

1. Tort Reform

2. Interstate competition

Why doesn't it? What is wrong with these 2 simple and fundamental reforms that scream "common sense"? Because the trial lawyers own the Democrats, and, because a lot of unions OWN the health insurance companies in a lot of instances. Why do you think they aren't taxing the union health care plans? They don't want real competition because they would lose money/be run out of the business.

This means that they aren't here to create REAL solutions to REAL problems. And that's why your question can't be answered by political people. They aren't going to work for a holistic solution that asks some from every group, and gives something out to each group as well. The Democrats proved that it's far easier to sit on the sidelines, complain about everything every day, all the time, and then eventually re-gain power....Now, the Republicans are doing the same thing.

The real enemy here isn't the people...it's the tactics they employ. We need to wise up and see the tactics for what they are, punish those who use them(kinda like how we punished Molson Golden, and are currently punishing conner :thumbsup: ), and reward those that don't.

I do think they should have added both of those to the health care reform. They did nothing to address prices. Not in favor of a strict cap on tort reform though. If the Doctor removes your leg, when he was supposed to take out your appendix because he is plastered, that should be worth more than 250k.

I honestly don't think we do. It's a problem with American society as a whole, that's focused too narrowly on instant gratification and superficiality. We'd need a major socio-economic upheaval on par with the Great Depression to begin to address this.

I am hoping you are wrong. I totally see your point though.

Or perhaps we vote for a divided government, giving neither the Republican wackos or Democratic loons enough power to actually accomplish anything. Which is good, because whenever anything is "accomplished" it results in either a loss of civil liberties, higher taxes or both.

Or perhaps we vote for a divided government, giving neither the Republican wackos or Democratic loons enough power to actually accomplish anything. Which is good, because whenever anything is "accomplished" it results in either a loss of civil liberties, higher taxes or both.

Is gridlock the best we can hope for at this point? I mean, I am rooting for Brown at this point in that faint hope. I would hope we could do better in the future.