Bobby April: Why No Interview?

Really? All the rooney rule does is say you need to intevew a minority candidate. How would hiring someone is interim head coach satisfy that rule? Or maybe you have no idea what you are talking about.

I realize that HAVING a minority coach in no way meets the Rooney requirements.

Further, I'd like to emphasize that the Rooney Rule requires that you interview a legitimate minority candidate.

As I believe Grudgingly alluded to the DET/Mooch thing, IIRC, DET tried to interview candidates, but were unable to get any as everyone knew they had Mooch in mind & the interview was then only obligatory.

Now it's my OPINION, not at all substantiated by anything other than I would think that April was in far better position to be Interim HC, that Fewell was named I HC either w/ a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" that he would then interview for the HC job, or that by having him as I HC further "validates" him as a potential HC candidate. This is under the assumption that the upper brass had every intention of bringing in a "big name" has HC/GM/football honcho & having him lined up soon at which point it might be difficult (like DET had b4) getting ANY legitimate candidates interested in interviewing for a job that was essentially already filled.

I realize that HAVING a minority coach in no way meets the Rooney requirements.

Further, I'd like to emphasize that the Rooney Rule requires that you interview a legitimate minority candidate.

As I believe Grudgingly alluded to the DET/Mooch thing, IIRC, DET tried to interview candidates, but were unable to get any as everyone knew they had Mooch in mind & the interview was then only obligatory.

Now it's my OPINION, not at all substantiated by anything other than I would think that April was in far better position to be Interim HC, that Fewell was named I HC either w/ a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" that he would then interview for the HC job, or that by having him as I HC further "validates" him as a potential HC candidate. This is under the assumption that the upper brass had every intention of bringing in a "big name" has HC/GM/football honcho & having him lined up soon at which point it might be difficult (like DET had b4) getting ANY legitimate candidates interested in interviewing for a job that was essentially already filled.

I'm afraid you assume a few too many wink wink nudges here to make this a viable option and more than the usual convoluted conspiracy theory.

In order for your conspiracy to work there would seem to have to be winks and nudges by folks down from Ralph, through Brandon and with the active participation of Fewell. Then Nix would have be brought into this conspiracy (unless this man on the grassy noll knew about it all along) and various folks who operate pretty high up in the food chain like Overdorf (and perhaps guys high up who seemed to have survived the initial sweep like Modrak) and also guys with a job at stake and other interests like supporting the Rooney Rule (like Guy) all would need to operate somewhat in concert or at least not talk to their over friends in the league in some out of school manner to make this conspiracy work and word not leak out like a sieve with press folks lurking around and theoretically pawing through the trash looking for thrown out faxes.

The simpler alternative is that this team is marginally under control, Ralph tends to drift in and out with his orders and thinking and quite frankly they are not competent enough to pull off much in terms of ornate conspiracies.

It would seem to me to much simpler to simply roll April if Mr. Ralph did not like him because he thought he heard him say something Bill Polian like about one of his kids.

I do not think it makes sense to try to explain this as some convoluted plot motivated by or using the Rooney Rule.