Bills FO, please just hire Perry Fewell already

1billsfan

...to the way Dick Jauron coached.

He knows our team inside and out and did not seem overwhelmed at all when given the reigns of the team. I really liked the way our team responded to his coaching style and if the Bills hire him to a bargain contract then maybe in a year or two if he fails the Bills will be a more attractive spot to land a more experienced coach so long as the QB situation has been solidified.

C'mon Bills fans. Time to cut bait and realize that Perry Fewell IS TRULY the best fit as head coach after the embarrassment of getting turned down by Brain freaking Schottenheimer.

Frazier looks like the second coming of the "quiet and stoic" Dick Jauron and Russ Grimm is someone that has never been given a real big boy NFL job since he's been a coach in this league.

If this is what's left, I want Perry back if for no other reason that he's a sure thing in terms of being an emotional and active participant in leading this team. Time for the front office to do the right thing and promote from within.

Might be too late. Rumor has it he will be the new Bears DC.

I'm sure that Lovie and Fewell both know that if the Bills job is offered that Perry is allowed to accept the Bills head coaching job. I would think that was the first matter that was discussed between the two.

What we don't know is if the Bills flat out told him he was no longer being considered. Which knowing the Bills is possible.

classic Bills. we dont give Perry a shot in hell to start, then once we're rejected by everybody and their brother, we realize he's the best we can get. at this point I wouldn't hate a Perry hire. I'd actually prefer it to frazier

I wish I understood why some people are so impatient with this coaching search? We are the only opening. We are the only diners at the buffet right now. Relax.

PTR

The problem with that thinking is we have to fill an entire staff. The scouting department has to start to evaluate players based on the new systems being installed . All of thse things matter in addition I read an article this morning about the Giants running out of options for defensive coordianotrs. If we hire Grimm we have to hire two Coorinators Hire grim That said you have to thing if Minny and Arizona lose this week we get Grimm or Frazier by midweek .

I wish I understood why some people are so impatient with this coaching search? We are the only opening. We are the only diners at the buffet right now. Relax.

PTR

QFT!

It amazes me as well. Still 3 more weeks of football and everyone is crying disaster that we haven't hired a coach

The problem with that thinking is we have to fill an entire staff. The scouting department has to start to evaluate players based on the new systems being installed . All of thse things matter in addition I read an article this morning about the Giants running out of options for defensive coordianotrs. If we hire Grimm we have to hire two Coorinators Hire grim That said you have to thing if Minny and Arizona lose this week we get Grimm or Frazier by midweek .

Has there been a glut of firings this year? No. In fact it's been unusually stable, with coordinators, assistants as well as head coaches. So I don't get your point. There has been only a handful of changes so far with only a few openings remaining.

PTR

Everyone needs to calm down.

There are still 8 playoff teams, each of whom have assistants that the Bills could interview. Here's a few of the names:

- Ron Riviera (who's on the record as saying he won't be interviewed until SD's season is over)

- Darrell Bevell

- Greg Mattison

- Russ Grimm (interviewing within the next week)

- Jason Garrett

There's no need to go freaking out and hiring Perry Fewell. He wasn't a good defensive coordinator, and he did absolutely nothing to distinguish himself as a head coach (other than being louder than Dick Jauron). Let's at least wait until the team has had opportunities to interview some of the remaining candidates before we have a total meltdown.

And there's no way I'm agreeing with the factions that would prefer Fewell to Leslie Frazier...talent or no talent, I'll take the guy that was good at his DC job over the guy that wasn't.

Everyone needs to calm down.

There are still 8 playoff teams, each of whom have assistants that the Bills could interview. Here's a few of the names:

- Ron Riviera (who's on the record as saying he won't be interviewed until SD's season is over)

- Darrell Bevell

- Greg Mattison

- Russ Grimm (interviewing within the next week)

- Jason Garrett

There's no need to go freaking out and hiring Perry Fewell. He wasn't a good defensive coordinator, and he did absolutely nothing to distinguish himself as a head coach (other than being louder than Dick Jauron). Let's at least wait until the team has had opportunities to interview some of the remaining candidates before we have a total meltdown.

And there's no way I'm agreeing with the factions that would prefer Fewell to Leslie Frazier...talent or no talent, I'll take the guy that was good at his DC job over the guy that wasn't.

Other than make our players look like they were having fun and playing hard again, yeah he did nothing.

I understand your concern, but that's not really how scouting works.

A friend of mine has a brother that is an NFL Regional Scout (not for Buffalo). I don't speak with him often, but from every February to May we'll talk several times throughout the scouting process.

The scouts' job is to evaluate talent. There will be over 260 players drafted in April, and each team needs to know the book on every one of them. All told, a team should be prepared with detailed information for over 300 players, regardless of systems. The reason for this, aside from knowing what players they want to draft (and subsequently which to sign as rookie FAs), is for future reference. Scouts want to be prepared with player information for situations that may arise 3-4 years down the road (i.e. who to sign in free agency that they liked from a previous draft class, what "sleepers" certain scouts had given a high grade to that didn't get drafted).

The point is, the scouting process doesn't change simply because the team uses a different system. All it will affect is what players the team ends up drafting, which won't matter until 3 months from now.

He knows our team inside and out and did not seem overwhelmed at all when given the reigns of the team. I really liked the way our team responded to his coaching style and if the Bills hire him to a bargain contract then maybe in a year or two if he fails the Bills will be a more attractive spot to land a more experienced coach so long as the QB situation has been solidified.

C'mon Bills fans. Time to cut bait and realize that Perry Fewell IS TRULY the best fit as head coach after the embarrassment of getting turned down by Brain freaking Schottenheimer.

Frazier looks like the second coming of the "quiet and stoic" Dick Jauron and Russ Grimm is someone that has never been given a real big boy NFL job since he's been a coach in this league.

If this is what's left, I want Perry back if for no other reason that he's a sure thing in terms of being an emotional and active participant in leading this team. Time for the front office to do the right thing and promote from within.

You are crazy!

NO!

Has there been a glut of firings this year? No. In fact it's been unusually stable, with coordinators, assistants as well as head coaches. So I don't get your point. There has been only a handful of changes so far with only a few openings remaining.

PTR

I think his point is that in the off season game of musical chairs that goes on, other teams that have HC's in place can hire coordibators and maybe some FA's while the Bills are looking for a HC. And the fear is that when the music stops and all the top candidates have sat down elsewhere, the Bills will be left with whoever doesn't have a chair.

Other than make our players look like they were having fun and playing hard again, yeah he did nothing.

I'd prefer if he got them to play well, not just got them to have fun.

I could bring video games and sketch comedy to practice, that doesn't mean I'd be a good head coach.

They beat KC, who is awful, by 3 points. They got a quality win vs. Miami, who finished 8-8. They beat a Colts team playing 2nd and 3rd stringers.

If that's what you want out of your head coach, go for it. I'll take the other guy.

I actually liked Perry as our HC, better than I liked him as our DC. The only reason I object to bringing him back, is that I hate the cover two. I agree with a few others, I'd prefer Fewell to Frazier - the guy knows the personnel, has done a decent job with marginal/street free agent level talent, and has HC experience.