Pittsburgh newspaper article gives some insight on Grimm

Check out this article from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in 2007 when Grimm was being considered for the Steelers's head coaching job:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07011/752956-66.stm

Some tidits from the article:

...Grimm's reputation as a coach grew quickly once the Steelers hired him. The Chicago Bears were ready to hire him as their head coach in 2004 but Grimm balked when told management would help him pick his staff. Gibbs wanted to hire him as his offensive coordinator when he returned to the Redskins in '04, but Grimm was under contract to the Steelers, who did not want to lose him. They promoted him to assistant head coach.

"He's been our little hidden secret for many years now," Steelers All-Pro guard Alan Faneca said. "He'll make a great head coach."

Grimm, who coached from the sideline with the Steelers, presented the halftime adjustments to the players in the locker room for their offense and worked closely with coordinator Ken Whisenhunt on the game plan.

"When he talks, they'll listen," said Fazio, who coached the 2000 season with Grimm with the Redskins. "A lot of people in the league go to Russ for advice on pass protection. You have to be a bright guy to know all the defenses."

"I know of no better football man," said Dunn, now an assistant on Dave Wannstedt's staff at Pitt. "He's a guy who knows the X's and O's of the game, a guy who can discuss coverages and blitzes and footwork from a technique standpoint of the defensive backs and linebackers, too. His knowledge of the game is superior."

Grimm is known as a teacher, a prankster and someone who can be demanding.

"He's going to teach all day and let you go out and do what you have to do," Faneca said. "He's not the kind of guy to say something just to say something. He's not going to beat a dead horse on the sideline. But he'll let you know when you mess up and he's going to correct it.

"When he first got here, I thought I knew a lot and we were doing complicated things before. But when he got here, that completely changed. Our learning of the game up front just grew tremendously."

Can he crack the whip?

"Are you kidding me?" Boures said. "I know I wouldn't want to be on the other end of it."

Yet after almost every game, Grimm is host to a tailgate party in the Steelers' parking lot for everyone who wants to attend, coaches and players. Many of them did, win or lose.

"That's a good thing for team camaraderie," Faneca said. "Besides being together on the practice field, it was good hanging out time."

Dunn noted that while Bill Cowher was a competitive person, he never met anyone as competitive as Grimm.

"He wants to win in everything he does."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07011/75295...m#ixzz0cVwdDVcF

Check out this article from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in 2007 when Grimm was being considered for the Steelers's head coaching job:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07011/752956-66.stm

Some tidits from the article:

...Grimm's reputation as a coach grew quickly once the Steelers hired him. The Chicago Bears were ready to hire him as their head coach in 2004 but Grimm balked when told management would help him pick his staff. Gibbs wanted to hire him as his offensive coordinator when he returned to the Redskins in '04, but Grimm was under contract to the Steelers, who did not want to lose him. They promoted him to assistant head coach.

"He's been our little hidden secret for many years now," Steelers All-Pro guard Alan Faneca said. "He'll make a great head coach."

Grimm, who coached from the sideline with the Steelers, presented the halftime adjustments to the players in the locker room for their offense and worked closely with coordinator Ken Whisenhunt on the game plan.

"When he talks, they'll listen," said Fazio, who coached the 2000 season with Grimm with the Redskins. "A lot of people in the league go to Russ for advice on pass protection. You have to be a bright guy to know all the defenses."

"I know of no better football man," said Dunn, now an assistant on Dave Wannstedt's staff at Pitt. "He's a guy who knows the X's and O's of the game, a guy who can discuss coverages and blitzes and footwork from a technique standpoint of the defensive backs and linebackers, too. His knowledge of the game is superior."

Grimm is known as a teacher, a prankster and someone who can be demanding.

"He's going to teach all day and let you go out and do what you have to do," Faneca said. "He's not the kind of guy to say something just to say something. He's not going to beat a dead horse on the sideline. But he'll let you know when you mess up and he's going to correct it.

"When he first got here, I thought I knew a lot and we were doing complicated things before. But when he got here, that completely changed. Our learning of the game up front just grew tremendously."

Can he crack the whip?

"Are you kidding me?" Boures said. "I know I wouldn't want to be on the other end of it."

Yet after almost every game, Grimm is host to a tailgate party in the Steelers' parking lot for everyone who wants to attend, coaches and players. Many of them did, win or lose.

"That's a good thing for team camaraderie," Faneca said. "Besides being together on the practice field, it was good hanging out time."

Dunn noted that while Bill Cowher was a competitive person, he never met anyone as competitive as Grimm.

"He wants to win in everything he does."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07011/75295...m#ixzz0cVwdDVcF

And he is so damn good no one has even offered him an OC job....

Exactly!!! He is such a brilliant offensive mind he has not even been offered an OC job. Why are people whining about him maybe not interviewing? That is fine with me.

Re-read the first paragraph that was quoted from the article.

"Grimm's reputation as a coach grew quickly once the Steelers hired him. The Chicago Bears were ready to hire him as their head coach in 2004 but Grimm balked when told management would help him pick his staff. Gibbs wanted to hire him as his offensive coordinator when he returned to the Redskins in '04, but Grimm was under contract to the Steelers, who did not want to lose him. They promoted him to assistant head coach."

He has been offered both head coaching and offensive coordinating jobs.

He has the perfect last name for this bunch of self-hating fans.

Seriously, he's an OL, a teacher, disciplinarian, X&O's guy, blue collar - seems like a good fit on paper.

agree. thanks for the article. I bet he installs a 3-4 blitzburg type def too

From the stuff I've read about the Cardinals and Grimm, he and Whisenhunt aren't that far removed from being "co-head coaches" of that team. It's just a matter of time before Grimm becomes head coach of his own team, whether in Buffalo or elsewhere. Same with Leslie Frazier for that matter. Grimm will hire coordinators to coordinate. I'm not worried that he's never been a coordinator.

fine research Muddy Waters! well done. i have always wanted Grimm if we couldnt get a Gruden/Cowher type. I think this is the guy we need. line line line!!! he will build us right! and we will be mean and we will hit hard. here's hoping he wants us...... ?????!!!!

Agreed. OC declining to even interview. OBD needs to do something fast to stop this madness about Buffalo being the worst destination imaginable. It is getting crazy. Yes the owner is crazy but at 91, I doubt he is going to meddle too much. It is still a HC job in the NFL. Lets get him in here and to hell with Cowher

Hmmm.... after reading everything that I can find on Mr. Grimm I get the distinct impression that he will come in for the interview, listen carefully to everything that is said/offered by the Bills hierarchy and then politely yet firmly say those words which we have come to expect; "Thank you very much for the opportunity to be HC of the Buffalo Bills football team, but at the present time I am firmly entrenched in the building of the future success of the Cardinals and I must decline the generous offer." In other words, thanks but no thanks!! :thumbsup:

I am TOTALLY sold...TOTALLY. Grab him while you can and pray. Slim pickins right now.....slim pickins indeed

Boy it take much to sell you then............................Why when the OC position came up Wisenhunt staff he wasnt given the OC job if he was so good and then have Ken say that they dont want to over-burden him(Grimm) while they give the job to someone else. That is troubling to say the least

Reading comprehension is a B word... He was offered a HC job and turned it down, he was also offered an OC job but was promoted to assistant HC by Pitt so they wouldn't lose him.