Brian schottenheimer is a better choice than Bill coward

Buffalo 66

I posted this in a different thread so I'll just copy and paste:

The guy called 31 pass plays for shell-shocked, rookie Sanchez in that gale-force cluster!@#$ against us while his RBs were pounding away at a 300 yard game.

He single-handedly coached the Jets into a loss that game. His decisions directly caused a far superior team to lose at home vs. our lovable band of losers.

Where is the appeal?? What am I missing??

??????

The guy called 31 pass plays for shell-shocked, rookie Sanchez in that gale-force cluster!@#$ against us while his RBs were pounding away at a 300 yard game.

He single-handedly coached the Jets into a loss that game. His decisions directly caused a far superior team to lose at home vs. our lovable band of losers.

??????

One bad play called game doesn't should'nt disqualify him. It's not his fault Sanchez had a bad game.

There was a suggestion a few days ago that Marty would come in as HC and Brian as OC and assistant HC and then over the next few years Brian would take over. That my friends is the ideal hire for this franchise.

Cowher, as it appears has become much to full of himself and it looks like he just wants to walk into a ready made success story.

I would like someone who wants to be here, has passion for this team, someone that doesn't need his ego stroked along with 7+ million dollars to take on the process of turning this team into the champs we deserve.

Good luck Cowher I hope you crash and burn in Carolina.

??????

You're not missing anything. Marty-ball (going ultra-conservative when it comes down to crunch time) is not how I want my franchise run. I want a competent offense that will run a play-action bootleg on 2nd and 6 up by four with 1:55 left to play in the game, and I want a defense that gives all sorts of different looks so the opposing QB has no idea who's rushing and who's dropping back. No Marty ball and no more of this Tampa 2 ****. Tampa 2 only works with all-world defensive linemen (Tampa had Simeon Rice and Warren Sapp, Indy had Freeney and Mathis (Mathis not all-world, but certainly well above average, especially with all the focus on Freeney)).

There was a suggestion a few days ago that Marty would come in as HC and Brian as OC and assistant HC and then over the next few years Brian would take over. That my friends is the ideal hire for this franchise.

Cowher, as it appears has become much to full of himself and it looks like he just wants to walk into a ready made success story.

I would like someone who wants to be here, has passion for this team, someone that doesn't need his ego stroked along with 7+ million dollars to take on the process of turning this team into the champs we deserve.

Good luck Cowher I hope you crash and burn in Carolina.

I think I'd rather vomit in my mouth than have a 66-year old Schottenheimer who has a 5-13 playoff record and hasn't won a playoff game since 1993. Remember the last time he coached in the playoffs, the debacle against New England? Going for it on 4th and 11 for no particular reason?? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Foot...ego_Chargers_21

Go ahead and let the negative remarks fly but I think Brian Schottenheimer is a better choice then cowher! Coward doesnt have the balls to come here he is afraid to fail!Can you blame no, I would not take it either.Brian is a bright young guy with football in his genes, He knows the Jets, He knows the AFC East!.If he brings some good help at OC/DC I think he has just as good a chance as anyone! This organization needs some youth, just look at our owner who is f!@#$%g 91 years old!Cowher is overrated .Im out

Yeah, "I think he has just as good a chance as anyone!" is about your strongest argument here.

You're not missing anything. Marty-ball (going ultra-conservative when it comes down to crunch time) is not how I want my franchise run. I want a competent offense that will run a play-action bootleg on 2nd and 6 up by four with 1:55 left to play in the game, and I want a defense that gives all sorts of different looks so the opposing QB has no idea who's rushing and who's dropping back. No Marty ball and no more of this Tampa 2 ****. Tampa 2 only works with all-world defensive linemen (Tampa had Simeon Rice and Warren Sapp, Indy had Freeney and Mathis (Mathis not all-world, but certainly well above average, especially with all the focus on Freeney)).

You just described Gilbride and Williams almost perfectly.

??????

Maybe part of the reason their running game looked so good was because our D still had to worry about the pass. And maybe the Jets considered the long-term goal of getting Sanchez up to speed as quickly as possible more important than winning games where he would have just been handing off.

Those are two possibilities.

Couldn't agree more.

But the instant we made Brian a contender for the HC job, we eliminated the possibility of getting Marty as HC. No way he competes with his kid for the job.

I think I'd rather vomit in my mouth than have a 66-year old Schottenheimer who has a 5-13 playoff record and hasn't won a playoff game since 1993. Remember the last time he coached in the playoffs, the debacle against New England? Going for it on 4th and 11 for no particular reason?? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Foot...ego_Chargers_21

Don't let me stand in the way of your vomiting in your mouth. Whatever gets you through the night.

But they went for it on 4th and 11 from deep in enemy territory where the alternative was a 47 yard field goal that Marty wasn't confident that his guy could make. It made a lot of sense at the time if you have confidence in your QB. I WANT my coach to be aggressive, and Marty was.

The reason Marty hasn't done all that well in the playoffs, IMHO, is because he's such a terrific coach that he took a bunch of teams that really had no business being in the playoffs, and he got them into the playoffs. Give Marty superior personnel and he will stand an excellent chance of picking up a SB championship.

However, I don't think it will happen here because, again, once you made the son a candidate officially, the dad won't want to compete with him.

Go ahead and let the negative remarks fly but I think Brian Schottenheimer is a better choice then cowher! Coward doesnt have the balls to come here he is afraid to fail!Can you blame no, I would not take it either.Brian is a bright young guy with football in his genes, He knows the Jets, He knows the AFC East!.If he brings some good help at OC/DC I think he has just as good a chance as anyone! This organization needs some youth, just look at our owner who is f!@#$%g 91 years old!Cowher is overrated .Im out

Why wouldn't you take the job? What do you do? Are you worth millions?

This thread demonstrates why it takes a lot of skill and knowledge to run a football team. I think youd be hard pressed to find someone with an ounce of football intelligence who thinks B shott is a better coach than Cowher. Bill Cowher might not be the savior but he sure as H*** is a better coach than some OC with the last name Bills fans recognize bc of daddy.

Lets be honest here folks. Most of you on this board love B shott because of his dads roots to the Bills, not bc of his coaching philosophy. The Jets were ranked 20th 16th and 26th in total offense the last three years , thats not exactly offensive brilliance.

Agree. It's not like our defensive front was the Steel Curtain or anything like that, but he sure did run all over our defense easily. He also has a handy consultant who will help him for free -- his Dad! I like this choice as much as any.

Edit -- but I'd still prefer Marty as HC if that can happen. Also, I don't think you can say B. Schot is better than Cowher, but he is just an unknown. He could one day with some consistent success make that claim perhaps, but not now.

This thread demonstrates why it takes a lot of skill and knowledge to run a football team. I think youd be hard pressed to find someone with an ounce of football intelligence who thinks B shott is a better coach than Cowher. Bill Cowher might not be the savior but he sure as H*** is a better coach than some OC with the last name Bills fans recognize bc of daddy.

Lets be honest here folks. Most of you on this board love B shott because of his dads roots to the Bills, not bc of his coaching philosophy. The Jets were ranked 20th 16th and 26th in total offense the last three years , thats not exactly offensive brilliance.

+5 :D

One bad play called game doesn't should'nt disqualify him. It's not his fault Sanchez had a bad game.

Agree that one bad game does not a bad coach make, but disagree that it's not his fault. Once Sanchez threw that 2nd or 3rd INT, B Schott should've shut it down. His QB was struggling and his RBs were eating us alive. And the weather was horrendous. Yet he kept calling passes. No adjustments made.

Maybe part of the reason their running game looked so good was because our D still had to worry about the pass. And maybe the Jets considered the long-term goal of getting Sanchez up to speed as quickly as possible more important than winning games where he would have just been handing off.

Those are two possibilities.

Fair enough, but my take:

1. I don't think our D was very worried about the pass at all. Byrd was salivating in center field and the whole D could tell Sanchez was shook. I think if anything, they were focused on the run, which made it even more painful when the Jets kept breaking big gain after big gain.

2. I agree that rookie development is a greater goal. And that you have to let guys fight through adversity to learn. But at a certain point you gotta say "Look, today's not your day...hand the ball off and we'll go to work again next week." If anything, pushing Sanchez too hard in that situation could have severely damaged his development. Some mentally weak QBs never recover from those 1 or 2 terrible outings.

And the Bills coaches of the past 5 years have cornered the market on piss poor QB development. :D

our coordinators gillbride and williams mentioned above are studs on other teams -- it's more about players than coaches. we need a good coach, but it's not like only one will do. cowher is my #1, but shotty jnr would make me happy