Possible QB

BUFFALOTONE

I know he is being groomed as the heir apparent in Philly but Reid just came out and said Donovan is his guy in 2010. Kolb may want to play now and he is a proven cold weather QB who has an excellent arm. Any QB in the Reid system is a huge plus for this team. Is he worth a mid-round pick. I would gladly take a guy who has played some NFL snaps already over a rook.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Eagles drafted Kolb in 2007 with an early 2nd round pick to be the heir to McNabb.

Kolb has been groomed in their system for a few years, and when filling in for McNabb this year looks like the real deal.

They are one of the most fortunate teams in the league to have a young QB in waiting who looks like he will be a solid QB for many years.

They will NOT trade him.

a mid round pick?? Come on. The McNabb years are almost over in Philadelphia.

would rather have mcnabb than kolb at this point -- even though it won't happen. kolb could turn into a rob johnson situation and set us back a few years. yes, kolb played well this year when mcnabb went down, but remember those brilliant games johnson had in jacksonville? too risky for me.

The Eagles drafted Kolb in 2007 with an early 2nd round pick to be the heir to McNabb.

Kolb has been groomed in their system for a few years, and when filling in for McNabb this year looks like the real deal.

They are one of the most fortunate teams in the league to have a young QB in waiting who looks like he will be a solid QB for many years.

They will NOT trade him.

A point I made, ISNOCH, to Depressed Bills Fan earlier today; there are some great QBs in this league, but besides Philly and perhaps Arizona (Leinhart looked great in some preseason games) there are not many teams that have a quality back up to take over in the future.

...Note: I like Volek and Kitna, but they are not "take over" guys in SD and Dallas.

They will NOT trade him.

+1

That's not much of a link dude. I'd say chances are much higher of landing McNabb (although this 'article' is pure speculation: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/322448-...ing-in-buffalo), and despite Reid's comments, I think McNabb could be had for slightly less than a king's ransom.

would rather have mcnabb than kolb at this point -- even though it won't happen. kolb could turn into a rob johnson situation and set us back a few years. yes, kolb played well this year when mcnabb went down, but remember those brilliant games johnson had in jacksonville? too risky for me.

great football comparison...

I think that may be a little bit of a stretch Mike, but I do not know Kolb's mental make up either. Every time he has had to step in he was interviewed and gave the old "well shucks, I am going to do my best to fill Donovans big shoes until he is healthy" routine. RJ was a complete and utter narcissistic d-bag.

I just posed the question. It would be nice to gather some youth at the QB position that is competent and hopefully go into a draft with 1 less glaring hole to fill.

Just because McNabb will be the starter in 2010 doesn't mean the Eagles aren't planning on starting Kolb in 2011, 2012, 2013, etc. Very unlikely they trade Kolb.

Besides, McNabb will likely get injured next year, allowing Kolb at least a few spot starts. And if McNabb struggles, Kolb will be the 2010 starter, too.

Just because McNabb will be the starter in 2010 doesn't mean the Eagles aren't planning on starting Kolb in 2011, 2012, 2013, etc. Very unlikely they trade Kolb.

Besides, McNabb will likely get injured next year, allowing Kolb at least a few spot starts. And if McNabb struggles, Kolb will be the 2010 starter, too.

I love the assumptions. I will play along, what happens when McNabb takes Philly to the Super Bowl? Do you let him go? Do you throw in Kolb because he is your future?? Its the same scenario that ATL was in when they signed Vick to that monster deal. And then he turned into a POS......

Tarvaris Jackson would be my choice, he's been in an NFL offense for 4 years now (similar system to Kolb). He was unsuccessful in 2007 when he was forced to play before he was ready. Started the final 4 games of 2008 and finished the season with a QB rating of 95.4. Performed great in the preseason in 2009 and won the starting job over Sage Rose before Favre was signed. Has a great arm to play in the elements and mobility to make up somewhat for a below average line. Is a UFA if there is a new CBA, an RFA if not, but if Favre is coming back for next season i'm sure he will be looking to move on.

I love the assumptions. I will play along, what happens when McNabb takes Philly to the Super Bowl? Do you let him go? Do you throw in Kolb because he is your future?? Its the same scenario that ATL was in when they signed Vick to that monster deal. And then he turned into a POS......

I didn't assume anything. I just stated what I think are likelihoods (but not certainties since nothing in life is certain). If McNabb takes them to the Bowl, then maybe he gets a contract extension. But that's a big if. In the meantime, I think the Eagles will let him play out the last year of his contract without an extension and keep Kolb as a capable backup and possible QB of the future. If they trade Kolb this offseason, I'd be surprised.

I think that may be a little bit of a stretch Mike, but I do not know Kolb's mental make up either. Every time he has had to step in he was interviewed and gave the old "well shucks, I am going to do my best to fill Donovans big shoes until he is healthy" routine. RJ was a complete and utter narcissistic d-bag.

I just posed the question. It would be nice to gather some youth at the QB position that is competent and hopefully go into a draft with 1 less glaring hole to fill.

I just think it's risky -- that's all I'm saying. Maybe AJ Feely is a better comparison than RJ. I don't think either will be here regardless, but, the future QB situation needs to be a very solid decision or else we're going to be in the same consistent 3-year pattern we've been doing since 1999. With that said, many fans and analysts thought RJ would be the next Brunnell. Obviously, that didn't happen.

Tarvaris Jackson would be my choice, he's been in an NFL offense for 4 years now (similar system to Kolb). He was unsuccessful in 2007 when he was forced to play before he was ready. Started the final 4 games of 2008 and finished the season with a QB rating of 95.4. Performed great in the preseason in 2009 and won the starting job over Sage Rose before Favre was signed. Has a great arm to play in the elements and mobility to make up somewhat for a below average line. Is a UFA if there is a new CBA, an RFA if not, but if Favre is coming back for next season i'm sure he will be looking to move on.

Supposedly, he's not the brightest of guys -- that's his biggest downfall from what I've heard from Vikings fans/press. If that is the case, I wouldn't even write his name a potential list. Your QB needs smarts. Period.

So the only way you suggest addressing the QB position is with a proven vet. No draft picks or young guys who have been in the league a few years? Because the only guys who aren't risky are the vets - and even THEY are risky. You never know how they'll respond in a new offensive system...

Personally, I'd love to get hold of Kolb. Much rather have a young guy that another team has groomed for us than have a few years of good QB play from McNabb. Sure there is risk but the payoff is huge.

So the only way you suggest addressing the QB position is with a proven vet. No draft picks or young guys who have been in the league a few years? Because the only guys who aren't risky are the vets - and even THEY are risky. You never know how they'll respond in a new offensive system...

Personally, I'd love to get hold of Kolb. Much rather have a young guy that another team has groomed for us than have a few years of good QB play from McNabb. Sure there is risk but the payoff is huge.

you're missing my point. firstly, neither is coming to buffalo.

secondly, the kolb thing is risky for any team. aj feely looked like a stud when mcnabb went down, and look what happened.

if philly dangles a qb for trade bait, it will be vick b/c of his contract. and i don't think buffalo wants that experiment.

i'm not opposed to drafting a qb at all, but (and that's a HUGE BUT) clausen and bradford look like they will be off the board come pick #9, and that pick is too high for tebow or price. so, our only hope for drafting a potential quality qb is that they fall into the mid-second round.

Oh my God...thank the good Lord that you are not involved in this football team in any way. Tarvaris Jackson is horrible. He beat out a career journeyman in Sage Rosenfels. His career completion percentage is less than 59%. He has almost as many interceptions as touchdowns when defenses were totally focused on Peterson every time they played the Vikes. And as if that isn't enough, by replacing Jackson the Vikings went from a 10-6 team squeaking their way into the playoffs in a weak division to a 12-4 team that was one of the best teams all season.