ESPN Insider- Top names linked to Buf Job

saundena

Here's some inside info: Nothing on ESPN Insider is anything you haven't already read here. Trust me.

PTR

Hi, you seem like a friendly and intelligent robot, what do you make of all the rumors and the madness? When the smoke clears is it really, I mean realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly going to be an assistant??? I swear, you almost strike me as someone sent here as a "to the ground---earpiece" for the Bill's brass.

Hi, you seem like a friendly and intelligent robot, what do you make of all the rumors and the madness? When the smoke clears is it really, I mean realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly going to be an assistant??? I swear, you almost strike me as someone sent here as a "to the ground---earpiece" for the Bill's brass.

My opinion is pretty meaningless, other than the fact I've been following the team since 1969. But I'll give you my take if you want it.

Despite opinions expressed on this board, I think Russ Brandon is a pretty smart guy. He's actually someone who we should be cheering for because he is trying to fix the mess that Ralph Wilson created. In fact I have heard that the Bills were actually losing money before Russ joined the team. The marketing and promotion of the Bills were as big a joke as the rest of the team.

Russ does get it. He really does. But he still works for Ralph Wilson Jr. He can't do anything without Ralph signing off on it. But Ralph trusts him and is giving him more control than anyone since Donahoe. That said, Brandon is the firewall between Ralph and the organization. His biggest job is convincing Ralph to go along with what Nix wants and keep Ralph from butting into personnel decisions, as we was wont to do in the past.

The Bills went after Shanahan, Cowher, Gruden, Dungy and Holmgren. They have not gone after Marty Schottenheimer, Billick, or Haslett, and probably won't. They made a massive offer to Cowher. He is stalling, so the Bills are interviewing coordinators now. You know all the usual names, but there is one I've heard that has not been mentioned anywhere and that's Marty Morningweg, the OC of the Eagles. Expect an interview this week. I have not heard anything about Frazier being the guy. He may be. I just haven't heard that.

So in a nut shell: Brandon is good. Bills are spending money. But the team/city/owner all have a rep to overcome. I hope this helps.

PTR

You know all the usual names, but there is one I've heard that has not been mentioned anywhere and that's Marty Morningweg, the OC of the Eagles. Expect an interview this week.

Let's put it this way, if Mornhinweg agrees to come and pulls his kid from his place as starting QB (as a freshman) for St. Joe's Prep who went 9-3 and got knocked out of the playoffs 35-28 to the eventual state champ AND is an early verbal commit to Stanford.

A. I'll be very surprised.

B. Canisius better get on their horses and get him in there before Joe's or Frannies does. SJP is the Jesuit school in Philly so hopefully they have an inside line.

I don't see it happening. He's under no pressure to move on, he's ultra-safe in Philly with Reid there.

My opinion is pretty meaningless, other than the fact I've been following the team since 1969. But I'll give you my take if you want it.

Despite opinions expressed on this board, I think Russ Brandon is a pretty smart guy. He's actually someone who we should be cheering for because he is trying to fix the mess that Ralph Wilson created. In fact I have heard that the Bills were actually losing money before Russ joined the team. The marketing and promotion of the Bills were as big a joke as the rest of the team.

Russ does get it. He really does. But he still works for Ralph Wilson Jr. He can't do anything without Ralph signing off on it. But Ralph trusts him and is giving him more control than anyone since Donahoe. That said, Brandon is the firewall between Ralph and the organization. His biggest job is convincing Ralph to go along with what Nix wants and keep Ralph from butting into personnel decisions, as we was wont to do in the past.

The Bills went after Shanahan, Cowher, Gruden, Dungy and Holmgren. They have not gone after Marty Schottenheimer, Billick, or Haslett, and probably won't. They made a massive offer to Cowher. He is stalling, so the Bills are interviewing coordinators now. You know all the usual names, but there is one I've heard that has not been mentioned anywhere and that's Marty Morningweg, the OC of the Eagles. Expect an interview this week. I have not heard anything about Frazier being the guy. He may be. I just haven't heard that.

So in a nut shell: Brandon is good. Bills are spending money. But the team/city/owner all have a rep to overcome. I hope this helps.

PTR

How would it be even remotely possible that the Bills would be losing money when the TV contract covers player payroll, the Bills have no debt, and that's even before they sell one ticket or suite?

Let's put it this way, if Mornhinweg agrees to come and pulls his kid from his place as starting QB (as a freshman) for St. Joe's Prep who went 9-3 and got knocked out of the playoffs 35-28 to the eventual state champ AND is an early verbal commit to Stanford.

B. Canisius better get on their horses and get him in there before Joe's or Frannies does. SJP is the Jesuit school in Philly so hopefully they have an inside line.

I don't see it happening. He's under no pressure to move on, he's ultra-safe in Philly with Reid there.

Just repeating what I heard. They plan to contact Morningweg. He could refuse.

How would it be even remotely possible that the Bills would be losing money when the TV contract covers player payroll, the Bills have no debt, and that's even before they sell one ticket or suite?

I think you underestimate the Bills operating expenses. TV money pays a lot but doesn't cover everything. The Bills weren't bleeding red but they weren't maximizing their potential revenue until Brandon joined the team. That's why Ralph likes him. Russ is a good manager and knows marketing.

PTR

I don't want Mornhinweg anyways but coaches coach in different towns than their families all the time. When the unfortunate thing happened with Dungy's son, his kids were going to school in Tampa. This won't be the reason to stop him from a head coaching job. But he is way too pass happy anyways.

Mornhinweg should get an interview. He fits all the criteria that we are looking for. Offensive-minded, NFL head coaching experience, part of a winning organization. He probably got that Detroit job a bit too early in his career and honestly I don't think anyone could have won there. He, like Frazier, has good connections throughout the league and would be able to assemble a good staff, IMO.

It would actually make a lot of sense. Guy knows how to coach QBs and knows offense. It wouldn't be a flashy move, and it would be a tough sell because of his time with the Lions.

The top coordinators out there right now are:

Marty Mornhinweg OC Eagles

Leslie Frazier DC Vikings

Jason Garrett OC Cowboys

Brian Schottenheimer OC Jets

Russ Grimm OL Cardinals

I don't want Mornhinweg anyways but coaches coach in different towns than their families all the time. When the unfortunate thing happened with Dungy's son, his kids were going to school in Tampa. This won't be the reason to stop him from a head coaching job. But he is way too pass happy anyways.

The Eagles actually ran the ball a lot more when he came aboard. You can tell the games where Reid took over the gameplan because the run/pass ratio is crazy. I still agree with you that the WCO is crap and does not work in windy places.

Don't underestimate the effect of the Dungy thing on coaches. Reid's kids have gotten in all sorts of trouble recently and Mornhinweg's been around to see that. Reid's sons have both gone to jail and Garrett has been more than once.

PTR

Pretty good summing up. Nice job.

Just repeating what I heard. They plan to contact Morningweg. He could refuse.

I think you underestimate the Bills operating expenses. TV money pays a lot but doesn't cover everything. The Bills weren't bleeding red but they weren't maximizing their potential revenue until Brandon joined the team. That's why Ralph likes him. Russ is a good manager and knows marketing.

PTR

My vague recollection of Morningweg at DET was that it was am insane situation with Millen in charge but that Marty M had his hands all over doing some insane stuff himself. In particular my recollection was of him doing some weird legend in his own mind stuff driving in on a Harley and that he also did something where he essentially walked out on one practice rather than blow his cool.

It was Detroit so I must admit I did not pay a ton of attention, but are any of these recollections correct and if they are what has he done to show that he learned not only to hand the ball off for yardage as much as possible but it sounded like he really needed a personality transplant.

Is any of this accurate?

PTR

Not true Mr. Littman is a careful penny counter.

The team never lost money and the capital gains appreciation over the years have been staggering to say the least.

But, the Bills are certainly much better off with BRandon doing the marketting than they were before BRandon. He is really quite a marketing guys and deserves mondo credit for successfully selling a horrible product over a period of many years now.

With Billy Mays gone and Ron Popeil retired, he may just be the best marketing guy around.

Adam Schefter

Frazier the leader right now

"While questions continue to swirl about the Buffalo Bills head-coaching job, certain candidates' names can being to be crossed off. Bill Cowher is not going to be the Bills next head coach, no matter how much money the franchise has offered him, according to league sources. Brian Billick never was considered once Buffalo hired new general manager Buddy Nix, sources said. But Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier is said to have had a highly impressive interview. Buffalo still is planning on conducting more interviews with more coaches involved in the playoffs, and their outlook always could change, but heading into the start of the postseason, Frazier is the temporary leader in the clubhouse. Also, Buffalo's interim head coach Perry Fewell is said to have had a more impressive interview than many realize. Buffalo has other assistant coaches it still wants to interview, but those coaches are involved in the playoffs and the Bills have not had access to them yet."

My totally amateur opinion:

Marty Mornhinweg OC Eagles

Am I the only one that thinks the Eagles offensive SYSTEM is overrated? If they don't get DeSean Jackson on a seam route for a TD they aren't that great. Looking at the system and routes that he put on the field I'm not a big fan. I think we'd go back to the old JP ball where we'd score the occasional deep-ball TD to Lee and not much else.

Leslie Frazier DC Vikings

I love that his defense was 3rd in the NFL at getting off the field on 3rd downs, this means that in critical situations, he knows how to call the right plays. Negative is discipline - 109 PIMs on the defense was near the highest in the NFL. When I watch this group play they are motivated. But for some reason this guy doesn't shout out to me as LEADER. Some head coaches have this look or fire in their eyes...it's intangible and entirely wrong to evaluate something like this though, since there's no way to measure it. On paper I don't mind this pick. My gut doesn't like it though.

Jason Garrett OC Cowboys

Have liked the Cowboys offense this year. Seem to be peaking at the right time. I really wanted Sean Payton when he came out of Dallas to the Saints and I'm afraid my interest in Garrett is tied to that. But either way I have a good feeling about this guy.

Brian Schottenheimer OC Jets

Not a fan. I don't like the Jets offense at all. It is very vanilla and reminds me of the various offenses the Bills have been running. I'm petrified of this signing turning into another same ol same ol Bills hiring we're used to seeing. Yes he likes to run the ball and yes that's good in cold weather, but what else can he really do?

Russ Grimm OL Cardinals

I love this signing. The OL Has been the biggest problem we've faced and this is a guy you just KNOW will get it fixed, ASAP. To me you fix OL before you even bother trying to evaluate how your QB/RB can play. He is a big-time winner in terms of the staffs he has worked with and watching Arizona the last couple years they have done a great job protecting in big games. The fact that he also has the Assistant HC title says a lot about his value/role in the team.

So to sum up, I would take in this order:

1) Russ Grimm.

2) Jason Garret.

3) Leslie Frasier

Not interested in the other 2.