Okay you gamblers, simple betting explanation?

Just Jack

Looking at todays games, there's point spread, money line, and total.

For example....

Baltimore

point spread

+4(-115)

Money line

+165

New England

point spread

-4(-105)

money line

Total

43(-110)o

43(-110)u

What is the (-115), (-105) after the point spread? What is Money Line? What is the (-110) for the total?

For example....

Baltimore

point spread

+4(-115)

Money line

+165

New England

point spread

-4(-105)

money line

Total

43(-110)o

43(-110)u

What is the (-115), (-105) after the point spread? What is Money Line? What is the (-110) for the total?

The total is the combine points that the teams are going to score. Like the over under is 43. Bet the under & if the total points by the 2 teams combined are under 43 you win, if they go over 43 you lose. If it lands on 43 it is a push. The money line simply means no points just odds. Everything runs off of a $100 bet. If you bet NE for $100 & NE wins you win $100. if you lose though you need to pay $105. if you bet baltimore & they win you win $105, if they lose you have to pay $100.

The total is the combine points that the teams are going to score. Like the over under is 43. Bet the under & if the total points by the 2 teams combined are under 43 you win, if they go over 43 you lose. If it lands on 43 it is a push. The money line simply means no points just odds. Everything runs off of a $100 bet. If you bet NE for $100 & NE wins you win $100. if you lose though you need to pay $105. if you bet baltimore & they win you win $105, if they lose you have to pay $100.

In the example the OP gave, the money line works a little differently than what you wrote (your numbers are wrong--you have the numbers from the spread in there).

Bet NE: You're betting $190 to win $100.

Bet Balto.: You're betting $100 to win $165.

So if I understand this right, the numbers in () basically have to do with payouts, and the money line is a simply betting who will win. How does the point spread affect the bet? Note that the website I'm looking at, you can bet on any of the three, point spread, money line, or total. Oh, and if you had $50, bet it all on one option, or spread it around?

So if I understand this right, the numbers in () basically have to do with payouts, and the money line is a simply betting who will win. How does the point spread affect the bet? Note that the website I'm looking at, you can bet on any of the three, point spread, money line, or total. Oh, and if you had $50, bet it all on one option, or spread it around?

The numbers in the () have to do with payouts; that's right. When you're betting the money line, there is no point spread. You're betting straight out who wins and who loses. That's why the "swing" between amounts is so large; instead of adjusting by dictating a point spread, the bookmaker is adjusting by dictating payouts. It's like odds at a horserace.

If I had $50, I'd go get a nice glass of wine and a good dinner or I'd take it to a poker room. I'm not a big sports bettor. But I knew plenty of bookies growing up and I'm still somewhat interested in the process. If you're doing this for entertainment purposes, and it seems like you are, consider spreading it across both games somehow. You'll get more entertainment that way.

And beware of "teasers," which tie multiple events (games, over-unders, whatever) into a single bet, where you need more than one thing to happen in order to win. They're called "teasers" for a reason.

For example....

Baltimore

point spread

+4(-115) If you bet Balt+4(-115) you take ravens to win or come within 4 pts and bet 115 to win 100

Money line

+165 If you take ravens money line you take ravens to win straight up and 100 dollar bet wins 165

New England

point spread

-4(-105) If you take New england-4(-105) you need patriots to win by at least 4 and bet 105 to win 100

money line

-190 If you take pats money line you need them to win and you need to bet 190 to win 100

Total

43(-110)o Total combined scores over 43 bet 110 to win 100

43(-110)u Total combined scores under 43 bet 110 to win 100

If you tie it is a wash. Like you never made the bet, for example if you bet balt+4 and parlayed that with over 43 and the final score was pats 24-20 you would tie the balt game and win the over bet. Your payout is likely to be much higher on a parlay but this circumstance would reduce that bet to a single straight bet and would pay -110 to 100...

Another example would be if you only bet Pats -4 and they won 24-20 you would get your money back and it would be as if you never bet... But they could win 23-20 and you would lose because you are giving ravens 4 pts. That is why the money lines are there, it is for people who would rather win more or less by not using point spread

I have a separate question but this is a good thread for it.

If I bet on the over/under, in a college game can I get screwed/rewarded by overtime?

Let's say the O/U is 45. After regulation it is 17-17. Due to the OT rules in college the final ends up 39-37. What pays off, over or under?

I have a separate question but this is a good thread for it.

If I bet on the over/under, in a college game can I get screwed/rewarded by overtime?

Let's say the O/U is 45. After regulation it is 17-17. Due to the OT rules in college the final ends up 39-37. What pays off, over or under?

The overtime score is the final score. In your example, the over bet would be the winner. Same thing in baseball. O/U could be 9 and a game could go into extra innings at 4-4 and come out 7-5. Over wins.

The overtime score is the final score. In your example, the over bet would be the winner. Same thing in baseball. O/U could be 9 and a game could go into extra innings at 4-4 and come out 7-5. Over wins.

Do lines get put a little high to allow for the possibility of OT?

In theory you could have a game end a 0-0 and lose an O/U bet with a line of 52. That seems stupid to me.

The numbers in the () have to do with payouts; that's right. When you're betting the money line, there is no point spread. You're betting straight out who wins and who loses. That's why the "swing" between amounts is so large; instead of adjusting by dictating a point spread, the bookmaker is adjusting by dictating payouts. It's like odds at a horserace.

If I had $50, I'd go get a nice glass of wine and a good dinner or I'd take it to a poker room. I'm not a big sports bettor. But I knew plenty of bookies growing up and I'm still somewhat interested in the process. If you're doing this for entertainment purposes, and it seems like you are, consider spreading it across both games somehow. You'll get more entertainment that way.

And beware of "teasers," which tie multiple events (games, over-unders, whatever) into a single bet, where you need more than one thing to happen in order to win. They're called "teasers" for a reason.

No doubt. You would think it would be a cinch to win a 3 team/10 point teaser. That's where you can get 10 additional points against the spread whichever way you choose in three games. All three games have to win (one tie causes a loss). But it's not as easy as it may seem.

The safest way to double your money is to fold it in half and keep it in your pocket.

Do lines get put a little high to allow for the possibility of OT?

In theory you could have a game end a 0-0 and lose an O/U bet with a line of 52. That seems stupid to me.

The possibility of OT is probably considered, but not weighed very heavily. It doesn't happen too often, but I know what you mean, some OT's in college football create a lot of scoring.

No doubt. You would think it would be a cinch to win a 3 team/10 point teaser. That's where you can get 10 additional points against the spread whichever way you choose in three games. All three games have to win (one tie causes a loss). But it's not as easy as it may seem.

The safest way to double your money is to fold it in half and keep it in your pocket.

Well said Gambling is a bad thing. I bet a little. Small time. It is a bad habit. I feel right now that I need to put money on the game since I only have 10 dollars bet on a parlay... BBBad News. Don't start. Or should I say don't win big early. Its like chasing the dragon or whatever... Big wins are few and far between. But for now I'm sticking to 10 dollar bets. If you are gonna bet don't lose more money than you can afford and you better plan on losing everything you are gonna bet!

In the example the OP gave, the money line works a little differently than what you wrote (your numbers are wrong--you have the numbers from the spread in there).

Bet NE: You're betting $190 to win $100.

Bet Balto.: You're betting $100 to win $165.

My bad, i was not paying attention to the numbers. Trying to take care of the baby while posting.

don't bet with this bookie:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_bet

Wow, that sucks!! I am not sure what an accumulater bet is, but sounds like a parlay of some sort on the the freakin WEATHER!!!! Man, think i have a jones to gamble..that is just insane.

And I too have been stiffed by a bookie. Small time joker in Niagara Falls the year the Skins trounced the Broncos in the Super Bowl, kept letting my winings ride, went 100%in the playoffs that year..never got paid

:huh:

Dont start...ask my buddy that lost 1000 on Bowling Green vs Idaho in excruciating fashion....

Eh, as long as you're not going in above your means, there's nothing wrong with it. Of course, I'd never put $1k on anything... I have to think twice about $20. :huh:

I don't recommend starting gambling to anybody unless it's for very small amounts. I've spent an unimaginable amount of time researching college and pro football. In hindsight, it took me about 7 years and literally thousands of hours to have any idea what was good and what wasn't. Even now it's far from an easy thing to beat but I've been fortunate.

My advice to anybody playing college or pro is learn to change the way you think. Odds makers play off your perceptions. If you ask 5 people who they like in a game and 4 say the Patriots, FADE the Patriots. Challenge popular opinion and find those teams playing well but flying under the radar. Don't rely on game scores or stats (remember the book plays off your perceptions), instead actually understand why things are happening to a team. Understand how critical motivation is. In the college and pro game teams will often come out flat in the same situations!

The best wagers partner motivation and perception. For example say your an NFL team and you just had a huge win on Monday Night. ESPN is caressing you all week, you start to believe your bowel movements smell like cinnamon candles. Next you get to play on the road vs a below average team who should just roll over and bow to your greatness. Well the reality is that below average team is not THAT much worse then you, they watched you on Monday night, they watched you on ESPN all week, they didn't have a short week to prepare, they get to play at home, and they cry at night because they don't get any attention. Odds makers will then release a line that looks like a "sure thing", 95% of the betting world will jump on the favorite, and by 4pm everybody is broke. That won't happen to you, so long as you respect motivation.

Great advice Kzoomike, If you fade the public you will win. In order to win money you need to be correct 55%=60% of the time because of the vig. Anytime you see a team play well on MNF or a primetime event they usually will not cover the next week. That is not written in stone, but you will make money fading public JOE. Not on all the games each week, but you can usually find 1-2 that will increase your chances. Now if you find a book that accepts teasers in the playoffs, this is the only time to tease. Most books cut out teasing right about now, because the games will be capped a little bit better and lines seem to not move as much. I have earned a decent amount of coin the past 6 seasons, my first 4 I lost.

If you are serious about really making from sports gambling you need to have a bank roll and make unit plays. DO NOT bet your entire bankroll on one monday night game. Actually the monday night or sunday night and primetime game are usually harder to cap.

I have a lean on the cowboys today plus the 2.5 they have been playing great football.

The charges will cover the 7.5 and I like the over 42.

Just telling you what I like today, I don't think I'm going to play the minn/dal game.