What's going on with Modrak and Guy?

Red

I'm all for the breath of fresh air that Nix will bring, but in his press conference he was asked about what he would do with Guy and Modrak.

Nix answered that he would be reviewing their work and meeting with them once the season ended.

Now, I know that the coaching search may take precedence over sitting down and reviewing the tortuous Bills careers of John Guy and Tom Modrak, but has anyone heard so much as a muffled fart about the status of these 2 morons?

I hope Guy leaves...

As I have said before... I say keep Modrak. he has a good past in Philadelphia... he has just been out voiced by the likes of Tom Donahue, Marv Levy, Dick Jauron, and Russ Brandon.

I think Modrak and Nix can make a great scout/drafting combination

I tell you what's going on with Guy, he's auditioning with Larry David.

"Sometimes you've got to check the questioners, whoever is asking the questions and how much do they know what's going on. You ask the question, you watch the game and you have your opinion. And I'm going to say it like this, I respect everybody's opinion. Everybody's got an opinion based upon their own individual knowledge and exposure. Some guys know a little bit more. Some guys know a little bit less about it. Everybody's got an opinion and things happen the way they happen."

"We all have our own ideas about what we think. I don't think I've been hamstrung by my present position because I know what my position has been. I know what my limits were, so I don't feel like that.

I hope Guy leaves...

As I have said before... I say keep Modrak. he has a good past in Philadelphia... he has just been out voiced by the likes of Tom Donahue, Marv Levy, Dick Jauron, and Russ Brandon.

100% agree with you.

Keep in mind that Guy is the main person in charge of college scouting. Nix had some impact over the last year but Guy's input will be necessary for this years draft. There are guys that Nix hasn't seen that Guy has which is why we can expect him to be in Buffalo until April. Maybe expect him to pack his bags in April though.

Keep in mind that Guy is the main person in charge of college scouting. Nix had some impact over the last year but Guy's input will be necessary for this years draft. There are guys that Nix hasn't seen that Guy has which is why we can expect him to be in Buffalo until April. Maybe expect him to pack his bags in April though.

Check again John Guy is VP of Player Personnel nothing to do with scouting

I'm all for the breath of fresh air that Nix will bring, but in his press conference he was asked about what he would do with Guy and Modrak.

Nix answered that he would be reviewing their work and meeting with them once the season ended.

Now, I know that the coaching search may take precedence over sitting down and reviewing the tortuous Bills careers of John Guy and Tom Modrak, but has anyone heard so much as a muffled fart about the status of these 2 morons?

All that Modrak wants is another baby... John Guy is gone tomorrow boy! All that Modrak wants is another baby... woah oh ohhhhh.

Umm...No. Guy was in charge of professional scouting, not college.

Guy's contact is up in May. He will probably be here until then and quietly leave. I bet Modrak stays since he brought Nix back to Buffalo last year.

Isn't that a cowardly way of handling it?

Like 'allowing the coaches to accept other offers' rather than fire them? Sounds like a marketing ploy to not be too offensive.

I'd like to see some authority in these decisions.

I think Overdork, modrak, Guy, and Brandon have had alot to do with fielding this decade of garbage and to place it squarely on the coaches is wrong. That being said, they were a part of the futility, and in the case of John Allaire may have even been partly responsible for it. So they should be gone.

So why not just be confident and authoritative and 'fire' them?

Letting Guy just peacefully go on his way also stinks of passivity. I mean, his track record is horrendous. We should not wait until May. He needs to be fired TODAY!

And what would that mean about finding his replacement if we wait until May? Wouldn't the Bills be limiting themselves in finding an outside candidate by waiting?

I hope Guy leaves...

I have no doubt that many on this board feel John Guy should be fired and Tom Modrak kept on board. Clearly John Guy does not have that "look" many are accustomed to seeing in a Buffalo Bills front office. I mean after all he is the VP of Pro Personnel for crying out loud; http://www.buffalobills.com/about-us/front-office.html

That makes him responsible for WHAT??? The draft pick failures, the trade "aways"? signing FA's...or matching the needs of the organization (Coaches wants) with the available talent and the Bills financial position. I don't know... I am no John Guy fan, don't know him...don't care if he is fired or not. BUT........................................................................

WHAT EXACTLY DOES HE DO? I MEAN..... Has anyone taken the time to look at WHAT he does and the impact it has had on the team (within the corporate constraints), or is this just taking a look at HIM and deciding he should be fired.

Guys like John Guy, Leslie Frazier, Tony Dungy, Perry Fewell are just NOT what the Bills need in order to be successful. Isn't that true? That's why Bill Cowher is so coveted. He IS after all a SB winning coach. That he bumped heads with his GM is of no consequence.. (he did after-all win that fight) Heaven forbid Cowher signs with Buffalo and he goes to John Guy and says....get me Michael Vick... HOLY MOTHER OF POLISH SAUSAGE.. Who do we blame?? The security guard at the south end of the stadium?

Ok my rant is over... but I have to ask the question.... WHO among those that are passionately calling for John Guy's firing know what the heck the man does, and what the impact on the team has been?

Florence, Mitchell (a host of ) offensive linemen, Stroud, Free agents?

Or is he responsible for "Jason Peters, McGahee, Ko Simposon trades?

Actaully I believe with the exception of GM most most front office contracts in May, the reason so they can finish up with the draft and FA "season" then you let them go. Nix right now is too busy with hiring a head coach to worry about TM and JG. Once he signs a coach he likekly will then sit down for extensive brain dumps from both of them to gleam as much info as he can from them about entire organization, whom they feel shold be kept, sign extentions, etc. He doesn't necessarily have too follow their recommendations, but it can't hurt to hear what they think. You've paid them all year, you may as well get something out of it.

After all that come May, I agree John Guy will be gone.

Guy's contact is up in May. He will probably be here until then and quietly leave. I bet Modrak stays since he brought Nix back to Buffalo last year.

Per comments above, no not cowardly, doing what makes the most business sence and what can potenitally make you stronger in the future. Learn what they know, then be done with them. (In Guy's case that may not take long) All scout type contracts expire in May for all teams, so these guys could still easily have time to hook up with another team. I also wouldn't be surprised that by sometime in April after the draft they are told their contracts will not be re-newed and they are allowed to talk with other teams, even though they still work for the Bills until May 1. I recall TD knew that RW was letting him go at the end of his contract and wouldn't be re-signed, but he still stayed as GM till year end.

Isn't that a cowardly way of handling it?

I don't think Guy or Modrak have the final say so in the personnel matters. They evaluate and recommend and the GM pulls the trigger. I see a huge difference between the different GM's in the free agents and draft picks that we made with Guy and Modrak doing the leg work. The blame for our lack of free agent success goes directly to the GM. When it comes to free agency we pinpoint a group to fulfill the need and the a choice is made by who ever has the final say so. For example if Guy says I have two FA QB's to fulfill our needs we should look at Matt Shaub and Ryan Fitzpatrick and the GM chooses RF. It will look as though Guy doesn't know his stuff where in actuallity it 's a bad GM decision. The same with draft picks. I clearly don't know enough about the process to say that these guys are doing good or bad. I don't think anyone else does either.

I don't think Guy or Modrak have the final say so in the personnel matters. They evaluate and recommend and the GM pulls the trigger. I see a huge difference between the different GM's in the free agents and draft picks that we made with Guy and Modrak doing the leg work. The blame for our lack of free agent success goes directly to the GM. When it comes to free agency we pinpoint a group to fulfill the need and the a choice is made by who ever has the final say so. For example if Guy says I have two FA QB's to fulfill our needs we should look at Matt Shaub and Ryan Fitzpatrick and the GM chooses RP. It will look as though Guy doesn't know his stuff where in actuallity it 's a bad GM decision. The same with draft picks. I clearly don't know enough about the process to say that these guys are doing good or bad. I don't think anyone else does either.

+1

Yes, but the last two years, I highly doubt he was going to RB and RB was making that call. I'd be shocked if it weren't as case of RB telling Guy, I'll go with your reccomendation. If John Guy is a great talant evaluator this concept would work great. The problem is he wasn't very good at it. When Marv and TD were here, agree, it likely went to them.

I don't think Guy or Modrak have the final say so in the personnel matters. They evaluate and recommend and the GM pulls the trigger. I see a huge difference between the different GM's in the free agents and draft picks that we made with Guy and Modrak doing the leg work. The blame for our lack of free agent success goes directly to the GM. When it comes to free agency we pinpoint a group to fulfill the need and the a choice is made by who ever has the final say so. For example if Guy says I have two FA QB's to fulfill our needs we should look at Matt Shaub and Ryan Fitzpatrick and the GM chooses RP. It will look as though Guy doesn't know his stuff where in actuallity it 's a bad GM decision. The same with draft picks. I clearly don't know enough about the process to say that these guys are doing good or bad. I don't think anyone else does either.

Clean house, start over, given the track record over that past several years, what do you really have to lose?

Build from scratch.

Yes, but the last two years, I highly doubt he was going to RB and RB was making that call. I'd be shocked if it weren't as case of RB telling Guy, I'll go with your reccomendation. If John Guy is a great talant evaluator this concept would work great. The problem is he wasn't very good at it. When Marv and TD were here, agree, it likely went to them.

That's where the picture gets a bit too cloudy. When we start "doubting" certain aspects of a situation in order to facilitate our biases, the water appears rather murky. Unless any of us has first hand knowledge of what goes on at OBD, and who does what, we can only speculate. To make a case for firing a guy using this speculation is just flat bogus. I don't mean this as a personal attack, but comeon. Guy had at least 2 other people reporting to him. Pro Personnel Coordinator and an Assistant to Pro Personnel, not to mention numerous scouts. I would imagine in a professional corporate environment such as OBD, there would be data collection, data analysis, recommendations and reports etc... cascaded up to the decision makers. Those most likely would involve.. Talent reports (GUY) Financial Analysis/Contracts (Russ B) Medical Evaluation, and of course Coaches evaluation. It does not seem logical that ONE person would have all the say so. Each would need to buy off on any selection, otherwise the choice is without merit. The final say so always rests with Ralph Wilson. But somehow with RB being responsible for the purse strings in football matters, one would likely have to conclude it is RB who has the FINAL say so in personnel matters. (with few exceptions deferred to RW).

Now this is SPECULATION.. it does not support or condemn any one person, just an objective look at HOW things appear based on public information.

Unless we have the pro scouting reports as submitted to the pro personnel department, and the financials and contracts, and medical evaluations, along with the coaches evaluation.. it would be almost impossible to know WHO made the wrong decisions in the PRO PERSONNEL areas. I for one happen to think the Bills have done a fairly good job of bringing in veteran players to help fill in the holes as the coaches perceives them. Fitz/TO/Florence/Stroud/Mitchell/re-siging Evans and Reed/Incognito/McIntyre/F. Jackson these were all efforts of the PRO PERSONNEL department, headed up by John GUY. No one is going to bat a thousand in personnel, but I think Guy has done a pretty dog gone good job.

Coach says "this is what I need", Guy finds who is available, brings them in..then it is up to the coach to get the best out of those players.

I'm just saying