Bills QB situation

bfw1234

I find it humorous when people attempt to pick apart some one else's scribble when they themselves should not be throwing stones. Hopefully a lesson learned . :thumbsup:

If you're going to call him a moron, and criticize his grammar, then you should probably.....

Just sayin

In regards to the article, I don't know if Brohm is the answer or not, but I was somewhat encouraged of what he could possibly bring to the table for the future. I absolutely don't want to draft a QB just for the sake of drafting a QB. If we were to draft one in the first round then I hope that Nix feels awfully confident in the guy he decides to draft.

Guys, one typo in an otherwise lucid statement is a whole lot different from a large paragraph filled with near-unintelligible babble. I'd think you two would know the difference.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What tells you that he can't?

I never said that he couldn't. What I said was that he did nothing to distinguish himself as anything more than a 3rd stringer. I even explained that the team only crossed mid-field 3 times, only scored 3 points, and turned the ball over 3 times. Does that need to be explained further? If so, then I'll throw in that he missed several open targets and made some very poor decisions. Yes, I know, rookie/no experience/bad OL, that's fine, but just because his poor play occurred under those conditions does not mean he's going to be a good player, which a lot of posters seem to be implying.

What exactly did you expect from a rookie QB with a few weeks under his belt with a new offense playing behind a make shift O-line, Dan Marino?

I didn't expect anything more than that. I expected him to play poorly, and he did. The fact that some of the reasons for his poor play are beyond his control does not change the fact that he played poorly. Now, as I often am forced to do when discussing topics with you, I'm going to have to request that you to answer my original question should you choose to respond again: what did you see from Brohm that tells you that "the kid can play"?

I'd try and work a trade with Philly for Kevin Kolb. Not that he's the definite answer, but the guy did look very good in relief of McNabb this season. He's had a few season to learn the game. I think he's the league's current Matt Shaub "very good starting qb in waiting."

The Bills could possibly swap first round picks with Philly or use Lynch/McKelvin/Whitner/draft picks exchanged as trade bait also.

Not that I'm down on Brohm, it's just that I don't think he's ready for 2010 starting duties.

[The Future Qb Is Already On The Bills Roster. Who Is It? Brian Brohm

by Jonathan Maurer Jonathan MaurerContributor

6 articles written

1 comments written

1 fans

View Profile

Contributor Written on January 04, 2010

The Answer at the QB position is not Trent Edwards, or Ryan Fitzpatrick, Not a 2010 draft pick. Who is it? Brian Brohm former Louisville star qb and packers 2008 second round pick. Brohm was cut by the packers earlier this season now I don't think brohm will be better than rodgers but i think he can be an elite qb. he did throw 2 picks in his first start but that was his first start. he is very talented. he has an arm like favre. if the bills where smart they would start brohm next season. The thing that the bills need an offensive line and a recieving tight end. They can't expect to draft a qb in the first round they have other issues like i mentioned o-line they are worst in the league at run defense. they can't just draft a qb in the first roundand expect everything to go all right. See what brohm can do not just in one game but a season develop brohm surround brohm with a good o-line another good receiver get a defense that can get him the ball back if and when he makes a mistake. An arm like brohms doesn't come around everyday.

I completely concur w/ the writers assessment; incoming coach will know Brohm from college. the guy was in the wrong system in GB. He is a pocket passer not a west coast type. With a solid line and a good defense, he will put up big numbers. Yeah he needs a solid line but so did Kelly; so does Brady and Manning, etc -

Nix is a SEC guy so if we draft Alabama LB 9th, trade back into first round to snag Alabam DT and solidify our Oline via free agency or improvement from Levitre Wood (assuming healthy) and Bell, we should have a strong young nucleus and in playoffs in 2 years

Is this what these people really think? That if we draft a QB at #9 we'll then forfeit the rest of our draft picks and sign no free agents? I can assure you, that's not how it works.

In today's NFL, QB is by far the most important position. If you don't have a QB, then finding one needs to be your top priority. Brohm isn't guaranteed to fail, but so far, he's shown nothing to suggest that he'll succeed. Hope is not a plan. Rolling the dice with Brohm and no other options would be a colossal error. That doesn't mean we have to draft a QB with our first pick, but finding a QB needs to be our top priority.

I didn't expect anything more than that. I expected him to play poorly, and he did. The fact that some of the reasons for his poor play are beyond his control does not change the fact that he played poorly. Now, as I often am forced to do when discussing topics with you, I'm going to have to request that you to answer my original question should you choose to respond again: what did you see from Brohm that tells you that "the kid can play"?

The kid can play......

First of all in case you didn't notice the game was played in a virtual blizzard. Combine that with the fact the Brohm was playing behind undoubtedly the worst OL in the league, facing a team which was coming after him play after play giving him almost no time to throw, and I'm thinking it wasn't all that bad.

Additionally, bandit, in his last 3 pre-season games with GB he completed passes at a 69% rate, but by then GB already had their minds made up! Check it out...it was a sham. The guy is FAR better than people think.

[The Future Qb Is Already On The Bills Roster. Who Is It? Brian Brohm

by Jonathan Maurer Jonathan MaurerContributor

6 articles written

1 comments written

1 fans

View Profile

Contributor Written on January 04, 2010

The Answer at the QB position is not Trent Edwards, or Ryan Fitzpatrick, Not a 2010 draft pick. Who is it? Brian Brohm former Louisville star qb and packers 2008 second round pick. Brohm was cut by the packers earlier this season now I don't think brohm will be better than rodgers but i think he can be an elite qb. he did throw 2 picks in his first start but that was his first start. he is very talented. he has an arm like favre. if the bills where smart they would start brohm next season. The thing that the bills need an offensive line and a recieving tight end. They can't expect to draft a qb in the first round they have other issues like i mentioned o-line they are worst in the league at run defense. they can't just draft a qb in the first roundand expect everything to go all right. See what brohm can do not just in one game but a season develop brohm surround brohm with a good o-line another good receiver get a defense that can get him the ball back if and when he makes a mistake. An arm like brohms doesn't come around everyday.

I completely concur w/ the writers assessment; incoming coach will know Brohm from college. the guy was in the wrong system in GB. He is a pocket passer not a west coast type. With a solid line and a good defense, he will put up big numbers. Yeah he needs a solid line but so did Kelly; so does Brady and Manning, etc -

Nix is a SEC guy so if we draft Alabama LB 9th, trade back into first round to snag Alabam DT and solidify our Oline via free agency or improvement from Levitre Wood (assuming healthy) and Bell, we should have a strong young nucleus and in playoffs in 2 years

1. If we don't get a QB in here we are screwed. Brohm is NOT the answer.

2. If we pick a !@#$ing LB with the 9th pick instead of QB or OL or DL, Nix is a bigger fool than Marv and Jauron combined and I for one, am done with this pathetic team. Get a QB or build the damn lines.

2. If we pick a !@#$ing LB with the 9th pick instead of QB or OL or DL, Nix is a bigger fool than Marv and Jauron combined and I for one, am done with this pathetic team. Get a QB or build the damn lines.

Is that a promise?

Finish building the offensive line first. No QB will succeed when they are planted on their butt all the time.

So we have to wait around watching awful QBs for 2 more years before we can get a decent one? Count me out.

Guys, one typo in an otherwise lucid statement is a whole lot different from a large paragraph filled with near-unintelligible babble. I'd think you two would know the difference.

Your over the top condescension invites these reponses.

The kid can play......

First of all in case you didn't notice the game was played in a virtual blizzard. Combine that with the fact the Brohm was playing behind undoubtedly the worst OL in the league, facing a team which was coming after him play after play giving him almost no time to throw, and I'm thinking it wasn't all that bad.

Additionally, bandit, in his last 3 pre-season games with GB he completed passes at a 69% rate, but by then GB already had their minds made up! Check it out...it was a sham. The guy is FAR better than people think.

Um. Didn't think they had blizzards inside the Georgia Dome. We are talking about Brohm's start against Atlanta, correct?

1. If we don't get a QB in here we are screwed. Brohm is NOT the answer.

#2 is fairly likely considering the best LB in the draft and safest sure-thing pick in the draft just might be there at pick #9 .

And he'd be a great pick IMO

You might be confusing this board with one where facts are important. ie- jim kelly HC thread etc

I don't even dare open that thread, lest it send me into a fit of apoplexy.

The kid can play......

Brohm played against Atlanta...in Atlanta...in a dome. He didn't play against Indy, if that's the blizzard game to which you refer.

Also, by the stats, Buffalo doesn't have the worst OL in the game. Plenty of teams give up more sacks, and plenty of teams have worse running games. I'm aware of the limitations of the OL, but what I'm asking is this: what did Brohm do, even in spite of those conditions, to make you think he can play? Nobody has come close to providing an answer to this.

And I lend almost zero credence to pre-season. As a 3rd stringer, you're playing against far substandard competition.

Based upon Nix's press conference I expect them to address both lines and lbs.

I don't suspect Edwards will be back. I think they will draft a qb but probably in 4th or 5th round. The guy at Fordham is interesting possibility. Maybe they bring in a vet f.a. someone like a Jeff Garcia. But I do expect it to be Brohm's job and expect him to hit the elusive 300 yard mark by mid-season.

I'm basing his play upon having seen him in college. Yes he looked like he didn't belong in GB, but I think he looked poised in his first start given awful circumstances. The talent is evident. I'm also assuming that the Bills hire a good HC that can develop his talent, etc - and this is the teneous assumption!

Claussen's game and throwing motion, etc very much reminds me of JP

Bradford could be good and the others I think are 3 round qbs at best.