Homeland Security

BadDad

It was my youngest sons license that we were trying to renew here in South Florida. We arrived at the MDV to renew his license and low and behold we didn't have the proper documentation. We had his present license, his, (homeland security required and issued draft card which has his social security number on it), voters registration card, student ID, etc. However we were told that we needed, (as of 01-01-10) his passport, his original birth certificate, mail that verified his permanent address, (he's a student so I took mail from our house including electric and phone bills in my name because some of the mail from his University came in care of me), and most important of all, HIS ORIGINAL SOCIAL SECURITY CARD.

We had a problem because his original soc. sec. was in his desk in school because he was afraid of identity theft. To make a long story short, they said that a W2, or a pay stub would fill the requirement. My argument was that if a W2 or a pay stub issued by an employer can sub for a soc. sec. card, why wouldn't a selective service card with his soc.sec. number sufise? They sympathized but couldn't accept his selective service card which includes his soc. sec., issued by the Department of Homeland Security, because the dept. of Homeland Security does not consider that as a valid representation of his social security number, (by ther way they mentioned that a guy came in with his military i.d and they couldn't accet it either).

What is wrong with picture? We have his present licence, just want to renew. We have an original birth certificate, (my God it shows that he was born in Plantation General Hospital here in South Florida). We have a valid passport, we have mail showing his address, we have his selective service card with his soc. sec. on it and still the DMV had to reject because his original soc. sec. card is up in Orlando in a safe deposit because he thought he had to protect it. The Social Security Admin. is trying to issue a temporary card to help people who can't find their card and the DMV told me they can't even accept that. We are o.k. because he has 10 months to renew still, but what about the guy who needs to renw now? What happens when the police pull him over for a fualty muffler, or busted taillight and he's trying to prove to "Homeland Security" that he's worthy of renewing his license.

My question is, if they are working this hard to make certain that a terrorist cannot get U.S i.d., how the hell did that idiot by a one way ticket, cash, board with no luggage, keep his U.S. visa, etc. and try to blow up a plane over Detroit? Why can't a U.S. citizen renew his drivers license?

I'm sorry but aren't you the poster who likes to ridicule conservative types who dislike government intervention?

Yes you are sorry, now do you have anything intelligent to add to the discussion, or are you going to throw more partisan horsehochey on the Board?

Yes you are sorry, now do you have anything intelligent to add to the discussion, or are you going to throw more partisan horsehochey on the Board?

I believe I added more rational though in my one line than you did in your verbal diatribe.

Perhaps you can step away from thew keyboard and then ask how a government that is highly incompetent in your view in managing simple things like license renewals is suddenly going to be extra competent in a complex role like healthcare.

I believe I added more rational though in my one line than you did in your verbal diatribe.

Perhaps you can step away from thew keyboard and then ask how a government that is highly incompetent in your view in managing simple things like license renewals is suddenly going to be extra competent in a complex role like healthcare.

Facing reality is painful for most, which why we're where we are.

Game

Set

Match

Winner = GG

Why did you change the subject? All I was pointing out was that, in my opinion, the DHS and our national security is not very effective. The supervisor at the DMV said that they had to turn a guy away with an active military i.d. However, if anybody shows up with a check stub or a W2 form they can renew.

My only point was that it has become very complicated to renew your drivers license, but for some reason some guy from Nigeria can basically waltz right in with a bomb in his underwear.

I understand your point about health care, but that was not the subject. If that's the way you and others who have posted on this thread care to respond, then so be it. It's kind of funny that no matter what a progressive says on this forum you guys have to twist it, change the subject or get personal.

Is there a reason why you, (and I don't mean you singularly GG as we don't have a history of arguing but the whole tone on this forum), can't just respond to the subject matter, or argue against it if you like without being so sarcastic, condisending, or out right rude?

Why did you change the subject? All I was pointing out was that, in my opinion, the DHS and our national security is not very effective. The supervisor at the DMV said that they had to turn a guy away with an active military i.d. However, if anybody shows up with a check stub or a W2 form they can renew.

My only point was that it has become very complicated to renew your drivers license, but for some reason some guy from Nigeria can basically waltz right in with a bomb in his underwear.

I understand your point about health care, but that was not the subject. If that's the way you and others who have posted on this thread care to respond, then so be it. It's kind of funny that no matter what a progressive says on this forum you guys have to twist it, change the subject or get personal.

Is there a reason why you, (and I don't mean you singularly GG as we don't have a history of arguing but the whole tone on this forum), can't just respond to the subject matter, or argue against it if you like without being so sarcastic, condisending, or out right rude?

It's because you can't see the contradiction of your slams of conservatives who laugh at feel good efforts that government is the best way way to solve any problem, since though there's a vast history of gross mismanagement across all layers of government. Yet people like you still lap up the sap that's handed to you because once people you agree with say something will be done, by golly it will be done.

Sorry for the surly tone, but maybe it's because we've been through this countless times since 9/11 and the fiasco of legislation that's been unleashed since that time. Even the divisions among the conservative types who were torn between the PATRIOT act, were united in knowing that the new DHS and the revamped TSA would do nothing more than what was already being done, and in fact would make things worse by adding another layer of bureaucratic desk clerks in the mix. Sorry that it's taken you 8 years to recognize the reality.

Meanwhile, the real tangible steps that were initially proposed, such as dismantling the intelligence barriers between the competing agencies, quickly fell by the wayside.

So now you are witnessing first hand something that many here were predicting 8 years ago, and are getting huffy that your government isn't doing a good job of protecting you.

What else do you expect when you close your eyes?

My question is, if they are working this hard to make certain that a terrorist cannot get U.S i.d., how the hell did that idiot by a one way ticket, cash, board with no luggage, keep his U.S. visa, etc. and try to blow up a plane over Detroit? Why can't a U.S. citizen renew his drivers license?

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that your son and you are entangled in this absurdity. We all will be sooner or later, by the look of things.

Second of all, I don't have an answer to your question, but I would suggest that you identify, locate and ask the architect of this idiocy why American Citizens suddenly have to produce documentation that the US Government already has (or should have) access to, in order to simply renew an already issued driver's license.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that your son and you are entangled in this absurdity. We all will be sooner or later, by the look of things.

Second of all, I don't have an answer to your question, but I would suggest that you identify, locate and ask the architect of this idiocy why American Citizens suddenly have to produce documentation that the US Government already has (or should have) access to, in order to simply renew an already issued driver's license.

Who has to do this to renew a license? I didn't have to and I only renewed 2 years ago.

Getting/Renewing Drivers License - complicated and ineffcient - Check

TSA - extra layer of inefficiency - Check

Inefficient government taking over healthcare is bad idea - Check

If government agencies don't work together, they can't help or protect us - Check

Gov't has been getting more inefficient at an accelerated rate since 2001 - Check

Many citizens walk around with blinders on - Check

Good talk!

Who has to do this to renew a license? I didn't have to and I only renewed 2 years ago.

According to DMV it is effective Jan 01, 2010. If we had renewed him in December, no problem but now it is a hassle. I don't think that it has anything to do with the recent breaches of security, it was already in the works. What doesn't make sense is that an original birth certificate, a U.S. passport, a selective service card issued by the DHS, a military i.d. card are not enough. But if you have a social security card, you're in.

I asked the people at the DMV if this was Florida State law or Federal, and they said it was Homeland security. Obviously this was the reason for my original rant. It wasn't partisan, it wasn't critical of one party or philosophy or another. It was nothing more than a rant against the same bouracracy that GG, etc. rail against constantly.

The sad part is that the right and the "conservatives" can't see that the progressives amoung you also have problems with the Government.

I have been posting on this forum for years, very carefully, because of the decidedly right wing bent of the forum. Lately I have posted after a couple of Genessee Cream Ales (including my response to GG the another night), for which I apologize. Years ago when this forum was created, people could express their opinions and others would argue in support or against, but by and large it was civilized, after all we were all Bills fans, and for the most part Americans.

I remember the great debate on here over the Bush Administrations determined policy of attacking Iraq. Yes we were partisan, yet everybody on both sides were civil to eachother. Not only here but in the country at large we have lost that civility, even the U.S, Congress has lost it, and I for one am not only saddened by it but ashamed of it.

I agree that the tone has gotten a lot more harsh over the years.

Of course I attribute it to 8 yrs worth of constant nagging on superficiality of Haliburton, nosepick, flight suit while ignoring the underlying issues. And here we are one year into Obama's presidency and he hasn't changed a single item of the evil president's security policies yet.

So yeah, after eight years of tired debates, and not having BiB's first hand accounts on what exactly is going on behind the scenes, it gets tiring when each month brings up a connor who thinks his .01 watt LED is illuminating the world.

I renewed mine on the web and it showed up 5 days later.

I think the issue was not that you were renewing a licence. It sounds like your son HAS a license, in another state, and was trying to get a new license in Florida? Horrors!

Not that it makes the process any less idiotic.

How very disgusting that the Department of Homeland Security, instituted circa 2002, is already a mess. Hardly surprising though. The nature of what they're trying to do is something like herding cats; every time you figure out how to head off a bad guy, another one comes along with a different approach and ya gotta deal with THAT.

"Adaptability" is not high on a list of *any* governmental agency's list of attributes.

This isn't a political issue, although the usual cast of clowns are trying to make it so.

That said - I would contact have your son contact the local Congresscritter for assistance. My brother's done that with great success.