What is so bad about Buffalo?

Sad but true. Though it's no worse than dozens of other cities.

It kind of depends what you are looking for. To say there is nothing to do in Buffalo is ridiculous. If you like winter sports, hunting, fishing, boating, partying in bars and friendly local taverns, gambling, going to strip clubs or eating great pub grub, Buffalo is a paradise.

If you want to hang out with movie stars on a beachfront avenue lined with palm trees, drinking Cristal, shopping for Rolex watches, getting the VIP treatment at velvet rope night clubs, then Buffalo is the wrong town to be in.

PTR

Your absolutely right PTR,its all in what your looking for.I might add Buffalo has numerous festivals(Italian,Chicken Wing,Taste of Buffalo,)etc,etc seemingly every weekend in the summer,numerous free concerts(Artpark,Molson Canal series,Thursdays at the Square)etc,etc.And To top it all off were 10 minutes from the Canadian Ballet :thumbsup:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad but true. Though it's no worse than dozens of other cities.

It kind of depends what you are looking for. To say there is nothing to do in Buffalo is ridiculous. If you like winter sports, hunting, fishing, boating, partying in bars and friendly local taverns, gambling, going to strip clubs or eating great pub grub, Buffalo is a paradise.

If you want to hang out with movie stars on a beachfront avenue lined with palm trees, drinking Cristal, shopping for Rolex watches, getting the VIP treatment at velvet rope night clubs, then Buffalo is the wrong town to be in.

PTR

Well put but I don't think you need to go all the way to 'movie stars on a beachfront avenue lined with palm trees'. Buffalo is a currently economically depressed, basic blue collar town which you describe perfectly. If you desire even a generic white collar lifestyle then Buffalo is probably not the town for you either.

Buffalo is a boring town compared to many other areas in this country

I moved away in 1997... and I know for a fact I will never move back to Buffalo

Speaking from personal experience, never say never.

Love the Bills and the Sabres. Will visit on occasion.... but Buffalo has little to offer and that is why people leave and don't want to come there

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. However, entitlement does not make it correct.

There are a number of reasons Buffalo isn't the most attractive place to coach:

Ownership

-Owner has a reputation of meddling and being cheap (you can agree or disagree)

-Owner is aged - what happens to the organization when he passes?

-Cash to cap policy hurts ability to make a big splash and bring in free agents/pay top dollar to keep players - Buffalo is known as one of the lowest spending teams

The Team

-Lack of talent - lots of holes to fill - need quite a bit of time to get some traction

-No QB - we may have a backup QB on the roster, but nobody worthy of being even a low end starter

-Old Stadium with very almost no chance of getting something new (not in tough economic times, not in WNY)

-Play in tough division - until we get some traction we'll continue to be NE's b**ch and wins against Miami and NYJ could get tougher

-7 home games - 1 in Toronto (and the previous 2 have been UGLY)

The City

-Weather (Buffalo's got a bad rap, even if it is undeserved)

-2nd tier city - Buffalo is not NY, Chicago or SF. It's not even Houston, Denver or Cincy. I love Buffalo, but some people want more flash/excitement/things to do.

Don't get me wrong - there are plenty of PLUSES to being in Buffalo - great fans, low cost of living, genuinely nice people and places to live - but those are things you don't understand until you get here and spend time here. Remember, Jim Kelly didn't want to come to Buffalo and now I don't think you could ever get his to live anywhere else - that speaks volumes about WNY - but when you want to be a big shot in the big time the pluses may not outweight the (perceived) drawbacks to being here.

Nothing wrong with Buffalo that 30 thousand middle class jobs wouldn't cure- but I don't see any doctors around just quacks.

Yeah man but it sits in New York State. You see companies with white collar (or blue for that matter) jobs stampeding to this state? Yeah me either. Tom Golisano can't be expected to employ the entire state. And even he picked up and moved to Florida to get the !@#$ away from NYS taxes!

I think a big factor not mentioned yet is the disfunctional front office overall and their failure to produce good prospects through the draft especially (see mccargo, jp, lynch, maybin, et al). If i am looking for a coaching job, i want a front office i can work with that will locate and bring in quality draft picks and free agents. Bills record has been dismal at best.

Personally, I don't care for Shanahan, for several reasons. He's an ambitious meddler in his own right IMO, and condoned and used the DEN style of line play that has injured numerous players through the years.

DEN is the sole team that I wish ill will on.

Then you must be tickled pink! :thumbsup:

I think a big factor not mentioned yet is the disfunctional front office overall and their failure to produce good prospects through the draft especially (see mccargo, jp, lynch, maybin, et al). If i am looking for a coaching job, i want a front office i can work with that will locate and bring in quality draft picks and free agents. Bills record has been dismal at best.

I think Nix was meant to address that. But with Brandon not his equal but his superior, you have to wonder how effective that hire will be viewed.

You can tell even T.O. enjoyed Buffalo. I have to admit, I was surprised to not see him in a tantrum about losing or the alleged gloom of the city. Outside of it being cold, Buffalo is great. But it's just as cold in B-lo as in Pitt, Cincy, D.C., only not as windy. Summers are great in B-lo and the entire city is friendly. I'm from the south and I think Buffalo is just as hospitable as it is down south.

There are a number of reasons Buffalo isn't the most attractive place to coach:

Ownership

-Owner has a reputation of meddling and being cheap (you can agree or disagree)

-Owner is aged - what happens to the organization when he passes?

-Cash to cap policy hurts ability to make a big splash and bring in free agents/pay top dollar to keep players - Buffalo is known as one of the lowest spending teams

The Team

-Lack of talent - lots of holes to fill - need quite a bit of time to get some traction

-No QB - we may have a backup QB on the roster, but nobody worthy of being even a low end starter

-Old Stadium with very almost no chance of getting something new (not in tough economic times, not in WNY)

-Play in tough division - until we get some traction we'll continue to be NE's b**ch and wins against Miami and NYJ could get tougher

-7 home games - 1 in Toronto (and the previous 2 have been UGLY)

The City

-Weather (Buffalo's got a bad rap, even if it is undeserved)

-2nd tier city - Buffalo is not NY, Chicago or SF. It's not even Houston, Denver or Cincy. I love Buffalo, but some people want more flash/excitement/things to do.

Don't get me wrong - there are plenty of PLUSES to being in Buffalo - great fans, low cost of living, genuinely nice people and places to live - but those are things you don't understand until you get here and spend time here. Remember, Jim Kelly didn't want to come to Buffalo and now I don't think you could ever get his to live anywhere else - that speaks volumes about WNY - but when you want to be a big shot in the big time the pluses may not outweight the (perceived) drawbacks to being here.

Good post, you pretty much covered it. I'm afraid that another second tier coaching hire is going to result in guaranteed sub .500 football for years to come. Rinse and repeat...

What's wrong with buffalo??

The city is a shell of what it used to be. Buffalo is in terrible economic shape with no signs of growth. Why do you think there are so many displaced Bills fans? The Bills have not made the playoffs in 10 years. The stadium is old. There is no franchise QB and the weather sucks.

I friggin love Buffalo.

No matter where I go, it is always home. I always hate the complaints about winter. Unless you want to live without any seasons. fires,earthquakes, mud slides, there is winter everywhere. yeah we might have it for a little longer, but I'll take snow over cold rain anyday. Western New York is a great area of the country. :thumbsup:

It's a combination of things. Ralph Wilson is a medlesome owner. League insiders know this (my opinion, no facts or links to back this up). The Buffalo economy sucks. I left Buffalo because after earning two BA degrees from Canisius College, the best job that I could get (pay wise) was to be an overnight manager at Wegmans. My wife and I left Buffalo in 2000, moved to Las Vegas, and doubled our income. The country knows about the crappy economy in Buffalo. The Bills sell out the Ralph, but they have the lowest ticket prices in the NFL, effectively hamstringing the franchise. Compare the income of the Bills and Cowboys for example. Cowboys by a landslide. On the plus side, I deeply miss the people of WNY. They are intelligent (most of them), hard working (out west they are lazy), passionate and caring. In Buffalo, your neighbors talk to you. Not so out west. The Bills have a passionate fan base. Imagine how much money Ralph would make if the Bills actually won! Last, the country percieves the snow in Buffalo as a bad thing. A lot of people will not come to Buffalo because of the cold. Personally, I love the weather out west during the winter because it is not as hot as hell. There is nothing wrong with the cold. However, Bills management needs to sell the Buffalo weather as a good thing because the opponent needs to overcome the Bills ( no problem these days), the weather, and the fans. Nothing is as beautiful to watch as the Bills wooping on a west coast or southern team in the winter.

It's a combination of things. Ralph Wilson is a medlesome owner. League insiders know this (my opinion, no facts or links to back this up). The Buffalo economy sucks. I left Buffalo because after earning two BA degrees from Canisius College, the best job that I could get (pay wise) was to be an overnight manager at Wegmans. My wife and I left Buffalo in 2000, moved to Las Vegas, and doubled our income. The country knows about the crappy economy in Buffalo. The Bills sell out the Ralph, but they have the lowest ticket prices in the NFL, effectively hamstringing the franchise. Compare the income of the Bills and Cowboys for example. Cowboys by a landslide. On the plus side, I deeply miss the people of WNY. They are intelligent (most of them), hard working (out west they are lazy), passionate and caring. In Buffalo, your neighbors talk to you. Not so out west. The Bills have a passionate fan base. Imagine how much money Ralph would make if the Bills actually won! Last, the country percieves the snow in Buffalo as a bad thing. A lot of people will not come to Buffalo because of the cold. Personally, I love the weather out west during the winter because it is not as hot as hell. There is nothing wrong with the cold. However, Bills management needs to sell the Buffalo weather as a good thing because the opponent needs to overcome the Bills ( no problem these days), the weather, and the fans. Nothing is as beautiful to watch as the Bills wooping on a west coast or southern team in the winter.

And the taxes stink!!!

I dont understand whats wrong with the stadium... it may not be as bright and shiny as the jetiants new stadium in the worlds ***hole or dallas' new stadium in tejas, but its not a bad stadium... there are much older and much worse stadiums in the country (lambeau and heinz for example).

and we have one thing in buffalo that should trump all else in the entire world: mighty taco. there can be a foot of snow on the ground, still more coming, and that place will be full and dishing out the greatest americanized-mexican food on earth