so it begins.. Ron Rivera

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just combining some of the thoughts from this post:

What about Rivera as HC, Weiss as OC and keep Fewell and April at DC and STC respectively ?

That might not be bad.

While the defense has not been exciting, they have played well and kept the Bills in most games. A total revamp is probably not needed. Just need some better players and more aggressiveness. The O would presumably be much better with Weiss and his HC experience at the college level would probably be a good added benedit that Rivera could lean on. I think I would be happy if the Bills could pulls this off.

no for Fewell as DC....

Yeah I gotta say I would rather have Cowher, but what if he says no thank you? We know Schottenheimer (sp) has said he isn't coaching again.

Odds are if Cowher says no then we are going with a coordinator. Why not one that Nix has worked with? Rivera would understand what it takes to build a big, strong, nasty Defense. Seeing Rivers for a few years now he understands how important a strong armed QB is as well.

First player of Puerto Rican descent in the NFL. LB on the Bears Super Bowl Winning 1985 squad.

As a coach, he has worked with several different defensive schemes. He is by most accounts a fiery motivator. He has learned at the feed of Buddy Ryan, Jim Johnson. He has made the Chargers D work in spite of some injuries this year. Last year when he took over for Cottrell there was immediate improvement. Rumor had it that he was not renewed in Chicago because his presence was a threat to Lovie Smith.

A deep side note: his wife Stephanie was an assistant Coach for the DC WNBA team.

I would be happy with this hire I have to say. I know its not what we all want -- but I believe Rivera is going to be a great head coach for someone and I would love that someone to be us....

Rivera was DC in CHI when they made the superbowl and had a great D, they haven't been as good since he left. Now runs a 3-4 and has a very good D in SD. So he has coached the 4-3 and 3-4 so he can pick which one he likes the most and make this D better. Would be a nice pick-up imo.

No question about Rivera as a DC. My only question is can he attract an equally good OC

when he is promoted to HC?

Now this should be the million dollar question with Rivera. Much like Greggo, his defensive prowess is unquestioned. But he would HAVE to be paired with a successful O-Coordinator or we'll be spinning our tires yet again.

To be honest, I feel that this discussion may be moot...from everything the Bills FO have said over the last few days I feel like they already have a pretty good idea who the next head coach is going to be.

i wouldnt mind rivera, but like everyone has pointed out the bills must find a good OC, hopefully weis wouldnt mind coming here as a oc,

question if rivera is the head coach , do the bills keep fewell as dc?

I would not be in favor of keeping PF as DC. Time to bring in a DC who can build a nasty, aggressive defense....not the same old prevent - give up 7,8,9 minute drives stuff.

For yucks--lets look at what a Rivera staff might look like--

If you go with the theory that Coaches are creatures of habit and build their network based on where they have coached previously -- Rivera would draw from the Chargers, Bears and Eagles for his coordinators...

If Lovie Smith gets the axe-- Ron Turner might be the OC top choice; John Ramsdell (Chargers QB coach); Charlie Joiner (Chargers WR Coach) and Rob Chudzinski (Chargers TE Coach) would be candidates for OC as well.

On the D side of the ball-retaining Fewell is always an option--but Steven Wilks (DB Coach Chargers) and Don Johnson (DLine Chargers) both followed Rivera from Chicago. Bill Shuey the Linebacker coach for the Eagles is an up and comer...rumored to be of interest to the Giants if they make a DC change. Jim Babich is the D Coordinator in name only for the Bears.

Some other notes:

Gill Byrd is an asst. secondary coach for the Bears--can coach his son...

Rusty Jones has an assistant with the Bears -- Jim Arthur who joined the Bears at the same time...

Interesting stuff...

Yeah I gotta say I would rather have Cowher, but what if he says no thank you? We know Schottenheimer (sp) has said he isn't coaching again.

Odds are if Cowher says no then we are going with a coordinator. Why not one that Nix has worked with? Rivera would understand what it takes to build a big, strong, nasty Defense. Seeing Rivers for a few years now he understands how important a strong armed QB is as well.

It's funny because Rivers knock coming out of college was his arm strength as well as his mechanics. Actually (and I know you'll hate this) the knocks on Rivers as well as his strengths remind me a lot of McCoy. McCoy just doesn't have the big mouth that Rivers does.

BTW I'm not saying I want Colt just that I see a lot of similarities between the two.

Rivera's biggest claim to fame is his run as DC with the Super Bowl-appearing Chicago Bears. It's been a few decades since I've had any true respect for that organization, and I'd much rather look elsewhere. (Jauron, Fewell, Lovie Smith, Jerry Angelo, Greg Gabriel, Rivera... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sorry, not interested :devil: ). And I know he's not there anymore but he really looked bad after what went down following that SB year... scrambling to get a job with the Chargers & all. He may have moved up since then to become DC, but I'm not overly impressed with the Chargers D either, Rivers and the O carry the load there. So my thoughts are to just say NO to Ron Rivera.

If we are going to look at a coordinator, I would much prefer Russ Grimm: not only solid credentials but also a leading contributor to championship teams (not a back-up scrub)... he knows what it takes to win. And he wouldn't be my first choice, but I would also take Charlie Weis over Rivera regardless of what happened at Notre Dame... his NFL background is far superior IMO.

I don't know about you all, but I would love this if we hired him. Say what you want, but our defense is just missing a proper scheme and few more players, and it has a chance to become a dominant defense. Our offense is a disaster and should take some time, but if our defense is so close, why not complete that first. Just look at the talent we have.

Schobel

Maybin

Williams

Stroud

Poz

Mitchell

McGee

McKelvin

Florence

Whitner

Byrd

If we get just a bit more talent on the front 7, and get a proper scheme goign with a good coach then bam.

Schobel is done.

Whitner is Benched and sucks

Maybin is a bust unless he is a olb in a 3-4

Poz is average so far.

We need TONS of talent brought in. This is a 3 year rebuild