Ryan Mallett

timbuk3

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Figures a big stong armed QB and he is a mental case. Can you say Ryan Leaf?

I don't think so. He has some maturity issues, but I don't think he's anything close to the same class of problem child as Ryan Leaf. Bobby Petrino is a disciplinarian head coach and so far, all reports are that Mallett has taken to it very well. I don't think its much of an issue.

aside from his maturity issues, i dont like his lack of mobility, seems like a drew bledsoe v2.0, and with this oline, that sounds like a recipe for failure.

Drew Bledsoe sounds great right about now. I think we are going to like our O line in a couple of years.

The maturity issues are one thing. Bad, but he's young and will grow. The problem is he is terrible. I had the "pleasure" of watching him play for Michigan when they had a coach who knew what he was doing, and Mallett was so bad they benched him and transferred his rear right out of U of M. He hasn't looked much improved at his new school either. Just say no. I Buffalo wants a QB they better hope that one of three things happens. One of the top QBs in the draft other than Clausen drops to eight, they can get LeFevour or Pike in the second round, or some QB is available in FA that is better than what we have. Also, I want to see what Brian Brohm shows in the offseason. He was a very good QB for Louisville and had a good arm. He's suffered in GB from the starters don't get hurt syndrome that other QBs have suffered. I still think the Bills are going to have to go after a QB though, either in FA or Draft. Just not Ryan Mallett.

The maturity issues are one thing. Bad, but he's young and will grow. The problem is he is terrible. I had the "pleasure" of watching him play for Michigan when they had a coach who knew what he was doing, and Mallett was so bad they benched him and transferred his rear right out of U of M. He hasn't looked much improved at his new school either. Just say no. I Buffalo wants a QB they better hope that one of three things happens. One of the top QBs in the draft other than Clausen drops to eight, they can get LeFevour or Pike in the second round, or some QB is available in FA that is better than what we have. Also, I want to see what Brian Brohm shows in the offseason. He was a very good QB for Louisville and had a good arm. He's suffered in GB from the starters don't get hurt syndrome that other QBs have suffered. I still think the Bills are going to have to go after a QB though, either in FA or Draft. Just not Ryan Mallett.

Spread?

For what it's worth, Arkansas vs. ECU today (Jan. 2) at 5:30 in the Liberty Bowl.

He's very promising. The right type of QB to play in the elements. Tall with a very strong arm and big hands.

Also surprisingly accurate on those short, quick slants. He steps up in the pocket nicely and can make plays on the run. He's not immobile, as one poster suggested. He actually makes plays throwing the ball on the run, but not anything like the uncanny Roethlisberger. As an athlete he's less than Roethlisberger but much more athletic than the flat footed Bledsoe. The kind of QB that can bring you down the field in a hurry at the end of a game, and overcome negative plays by converting long down and distance situations.

He's tall but he also appears to be disproportionately long limbed and I've seen him get up a little slow some times when he really didn't seem to take huge hits. He differs from Flacco in regard to that body type. Flacco is a bit more proportionate and compact and almost short armed for his height. That gangly body also leads Mallet to get out of whack at time, much like a very tall pitcher can slump with his mechanics. He can hit a slump and start throwing inaccurately, but then will snap out of it and torch teams for big play after big play in succession.

He doesn't have a lot of starting experience, but neither did Sanchez when he entered the draft. I'd rather take a chance and fail on a guy like this, a perfect specimen for the environment and receiving personnel the Bills have, than half step with guys like Whitner, Poz, Lynch or even a DE like Maybin who all play so much less important positions.

If Jim Kelly is going to be involved with the franchise, he would make a nice mentor for Mallet, whose personality and skills are reminiscent of a young Kelly.

and the only reason he transferred out was because the spread was coming

True. Once the coaching staff at Michigan changed, he felt the incoming system didn't suit his skills and transferred back home to Arkansas. Now, in one of the more complicated offenses in college football, all he has done is throw for 3,400 yards and 29 TDs in his first year as a starter. The difference between this offense with Ryan Mallett at QB vs Casey Dick last year is like night and day. He laid an egg against Alabama (who hasn't this year) and he's struggled with inconsistency at times, but generally speaking, he looks much, MUCH further along than you usually expect from a redshirt sophomore. I think he still needs another year, but he's been nothing short of an outstanding QB for the Razorbacks this year, IMO.

And yes, living in Arkansas, I see most of their games every year, including this year.

Mallett was a true freshman when you saw him play at Michigan. I don't even know how you can compare then and now. Mallet was the top passing QB in the SEC this past season.......terrible? I think you haven't seen him play this year.