How much do you like this outdoor hockey?

ProjectPat

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to respectfully disagree.

I think its only gaining momentum.

Ya see Dennis Leary singing Sweet Caroline?... wicked awesome!

I think its great. They take too long with the pre-game, for me anyways. I wish they would spend less time talking about how great being outdoors is. Seems to be overdone. Bringing back the classic players is a a good thing. Seeing Bobby Orr and Bobby Clarke (with teeth) shows off the games legacy.

They should (and will) keep the tradition going. What the promoters should do is highlight that this game counts. Football on New Years Day has gone downhill since the BCS moved many feature games away from New Years Day, and the games left are down a notch. The Winter Classic can fill a void in NYD sports. Just don't compete directly with the Rose Bowl.

Also, get better announcers. Hire Ric Jeanneret for a day, and throw in Don Cherry.

Being at RWS two years ago was a great experience, but as games go it was bad hockey. The snow ruins the ice surface so you can't pass or make plays. Todays game was a snooze fest until the last 10 minutes. I made a comment to my wife if the NHL really wanted to make it a REAL outdoor game they would flood the entire playing field. Make them play on a huge sheet of ice. It might lessen the boring trap game we see now.

PTR

The game all about marketing, marketing, marketing.

The NHL ranks below college football and college basketball on the radar screen in the US. They're doing anything they can to increase the exposure for the product.

And coincidentally, they're clever to do it right in the thick of college bowl season when talking heads are all talking about bowl games . And poof, we switch over for a short report on this hockey game being played outdoors at Fenway Park, or Soldier Field, or Ralph Wilson Stadium, or Yankee Stadium (next year?).

it's just that if i am drunk singing in a stadium, the only song i want it to be is SHOUT!

Yes..there is NOTHING like the Shout Song. It was fun to hear the crowd doing

their version of "Let's go Bruins Let's go Flyers" !!! Such copycats!! YOU GUYS

are pros in that department!!

There will NEVER be anything that will top the first game!!! It was an all time classic.

I hope some day it will be held there again because I could appreciate it even more

now that I am a SMALL part of the Buffalo Nation.

I think its great. They take too long with the pre-game, for me anyways. I wish they would spend less time talking about how great being outdoors is. Seems to be overdone. Bringing back the classic players is a a good thing. Seeing Bobby Orr and Bobby Clarke (with teeth) shows off the games legacy.

They should (and will) keep the tradition going. What the promoters should do is highlight that this game counts. Football on New Years Day has gone downhill since the BCS moved many feature games away from New Years Day, and the games left are down a notch. The Winter Classic can fill a void in NYD sports. Just don't compete directly with the Rose Bowl.

Also, get better announcers. Hire Ric Jeanneret for a day, and throw in Don Cherry.

It was nice to see such good looking teeth. It is hope that current players will look well

in their " older " years. It was good that the Bruins did win in OT allowing us Rose

Bowl fans to catch the start of the game.

Don Cherry would be a nice throw in. Can you imagine the suit he would wear

for the game...or would it be so cold his top coat would cover it up!!!

Meh, I watch, but thats more to do with having Canadian Blood in me

I think its something that is losing it "special" attraction and is going to get old fast

Personally, I think if you are going to do it every year, keep it on New Years day and make it the All Star Game. Why does the All Star game always have to be at the mid point of the season?

Kinda a dumb question, but will there be a All Star game this year because of the Olympics? I'm too lazy to look it up.

I like the outdoor game. Once a yr on New Yrs day is good. F'ing Flyers give the B's a extra point. Dammit, I hate both teams!

It was nice to see such good looking teeth. It is hope that current players will look well

in their " older " years. It was good that the Bruins did win in OT allowing us Rose

Bowl fans to catch the start of the game.

Don Cherry would be a nice throw in. Can you imagine the suit he would wear

for the game...or would it be so cold his top coat would cover it up!!!

My guess is Cherry would wear some big fury red and white (what else) that would get all the PETA members up in arms. He might be controversial, but he will add credibility to the NBC broadcasts. He did a spot between periods on the NBC Stanley Cup final telecast 3 years ago and he was light years more knowledgible than the crew they use. On top of that, the play-by-play annoucer today was talking more baseball/Fenway/Boston than he was about the game in front of him. Their "love-in" with Boston was obvious. Philly must've felt short changed.

What they should've done for exhibition is have Dave Schultze and Derek Sanderson come out for a mock fight (or Johnny Bucyk, if Derek isn't doing so well).

My guess is Cherry would wear some big fury red and white (what else) that would get all the PETA members up in arms. He might be controversial, but he will add credibility to the NBC broadcasts. He did a spot between periods on the NBC Stanley Cup final telecast 3 years ago and he was light years more knowledgible than the crew they use. On top of that, the play-by-play annoucer today was talking more baseball/Fenway/Boston than he was about the game in front of him. Their "love-in" with Boston was obvious. Philly must've felt short changed.

What they should've done for exhibition is have Dave Schultze and Derek Sanderson come out for a mock fight (or Johnny Bucyk, if Derek isn't doing so well).

Would love to see Korab beat the crap outta Shultz again. :bag:

Would love to see Korab beat the crap outta Shultz again. :bag:

Absolutely, and for a second act, they could have Jim Schoenfeld beat Johnny Bucyk thru the corner boards like he did in the late-great Aud. But I don't think that would go over well at Fenway.

Absolutely, and for a second act, they could have Jim Schoenfeld beat Johnny Bucyk thru the corner boards like he did in the late-great Aud. But I don't think that would go over well at Fenway.

See but now we're just showing our age. :bag:

See but now we're just showing our age. :bag:

But it was a great era! Schoenfeld got into 3 fights that game.

Speaking of showing ones age, my first hockey game attended was Buffalo-Pittsburgh. That's the Buffalo Bisons and the Pittsburgh Hornets! The Aud had 10,000 seats, the Pens began NHL play the next year, and Leaf coach Ron Wilson's dad Larry played for the Bisons.

He also beat Orr and I think Vadnais in that game.

Needed 3 fights to get expelled then.

His rookie season and Boston was testing him.

He most certainly won! He had a penchant for blocking shots (though sometimes slid out of position). It was Shony, Larry Carriere, Tim Horton and later Josh Guevremont that gave the Sabres a solid defensive core in addition to the French Connection to make '73 the first winning season and SC playoff appearance.

But it was a great era! Schoenfeld got into 3 fights that game.

Speaking of showing ones age, my first hockey game attended was Buffalo-Pittsburgh. That's the Buffalo Bisons and the Pittsburgh Hornets! The Aud had 10,000 seats, the Pens began NHL play the next year, and Leaf coach Ron Wilson's dad Larry played for the Bisons.

I think I remember those days. Didn't the jerseys have bottlecaps on the front?

Im canadian, so hockey is supposed to be "my religion". I find hockey kind of boring, way too many games in a season, and not enough action. i realy like the physicality and fighting in hockey. its not a bad game, but i compare everythign in my life to football. NFL football is light years better than any other team sport. I laugh at people when they try to argue with me that hockey or basketball is as technical as football. football is the ultimate game of deception and strength and strategy. hockey is okay, but i can go months without watching it. i like the sabres, not a leafs fan. despise leafs altho alot of my friends seem to like them. hockey is ok, but football has no equal by a long shot.

I think I remember those days. Didn't the jerseys have bottlecaps on the front?

Those were the Bisons, the AHL team before the Sabres. The owner was the local Pepsi bottler and the "caps" said Buffalo.