How does Nix change our draft strategy?

dtgolder

Just thinking aloud...

If it seems that most of us feel a QB is our #1 priority, does anyone have a sense of where Nix stands on the current available crop (Bradford, Clausen, McCoy, etc.)?

Does he prefer one over the other (or maybe a better question is one style of QB over another)?

Does he prefer to build from the line out? (And maybe this changes our draft so that we pick an OL first and defer the QB pick until later in the draft?)

Maybe Nix prefers finding a QB from free agency (and not the draft)?

Does he change the possibility of maybe trading up (which we don't historically consider) to grab our QB of choice (or is Nix more likely to trade down and stockpile picks)?

Anyone have a sense of this guy's tendencies/preferences, and how this may affect our draft this year?

Just don't know his history...anyone have some more info (or willing to speculate)?

Nix did adress that there are 3 qbs with talent on this team and that the new coaching staff will make a decision on them. He also stated that it is difficult to throw a ball when you are laying on your back...I would guess that his comments seem to indicate that the OL is his biggest priority....

Nix did adress that there are 3 qbs with talent on this team and that the new coaching staff will make a decision on them. He also stated that it is difficult to throw a ball when you are laying on your back...I would guess that his comments seem to indicate that the OL is his biggest priority....

Or it could be a strategy to make other teams think we will not take a QB early, so they will not think they need to trade in front of us to get one of the top QBs. Then Clausen lands in our laps to go with Charlie Weiss.

Or it could be a strategy to make other teams think we will not take a QB early, so they will not think they need to trade in front of us to get one of the top QBs. Then Clausen lands in our laps to go with Charlie Weiss.

The line honestly needs to get taken care of before we go after a qb...unless there is a stubborn, hard-headed qb like Kelly in the draft that can handle playing behind a cruddy line and not lose their confidence or get injured repeatedly

After we clean house, hire a coach, and decide which of OUR free agents are worth keeping, the most important thing we need to do is target the "right" FA(s) and get them signed, and then get the O-Line "fixed". I'd be ok with getting a FA quarterback if we can get a decent line put together.

I am tired of developing Quarterbacks. I like JP Orton. I want to win now. I also want to drink now- and am. This team was in playoff contention up to two weeks ago. This team...

With better coaching and a pair of tackles and a dude like Orton, alongside two brilliant coordinating minds on O & D, plus no more defense called Tampa, and a set of balls coupled with a philosophy to actually heave the ball downfield, in addition to hiring a motivating killer on defense, and lastly 80 other minor adjustments, we should be back to the 90's.

I say less chance we go QB in round 1. Maybe round 3 or later, or we wait till 2011 and work on fixing the lines and LBs this year.

PTR

Ya, I think it's a given that we are at least 2 years from playoff contention. If we can get the lines rebuilt and shore up the LB position, we've got a chance at winning "Martyball". QB isn't going to fix this team's problems. If there aren't any draftable prospects, we can get a stop-gap QB in the FA market, and work on the rebuilding project...

Ya, I think it's a given that we are at least 2 years from playoff contention. If we can get the lines rebuilt and shore up the LB position, we've got a chance at winning "Martyball". QB isn't going to fix this team's problems. If there aren't any draftable prospects, we can get a stop-gap QB in the FA market, and work on the rebuilding project...

pls do not draft a QB no 1. none of the QBs are that good.

This was the most encouraging thing I heard in the press conference. Finally a personnel guy who realizes the main problem is the offensive line.

After the Bills draft a OT in round #1, I'll be relieved and a little more hopeful.

Just thinking aloud...

If it seems that most of us feel a QB is our #1 priority, does anyone have a sense of where Nix stands on the current available crop (Bradford, Clausen, McCoy, etc.)?

Does he prefer one over the other (or maybe a better question is one style of QB over another)?

Does he prefer to build from the line out? (And maybe this changes our draft so that we pick an OL first and defer the QB pick until later in the draft?)

Maybe Nix prefers finding a QB from free agency (and not the draft)?

Does he change the possibility of maybe trading up (which we don't historically consider) to grab our QB of choice (or is Nix more likely to trade down and stockpile picks)?

Anyone have a sense of this guy's tendencies/preferences, and how this may affect our draft this year?

Just don't know his history...anyone have some more info (or willing to speculate)?

Well, look at San Diego.

How did they build when Nix, Butler, and Smith went out there?

Didn't they find serviceable journeymen with experience to run the show for a couple of seasons until a replacement was found?

QB is probably the hardest position not only to play in professional sports, but also the hardest to draft. I don't see any other position in professional team sports where so much talent can equate to nothing once drafted.

That being said, both Pittsburgh and San Diego (and the NY Giants) became relevant again once they drafted Big Ben, Rivers, and Manning.

Take away any of those guys, and those teams are nice but not good enough.

My thinking is that we will find a scrappy veteran capable of carrying the load for a couple of seasons while we either develop a QB or draft one.